Got the 225 Pro XS mounted on the 2003.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
All I have left to do is adjust the shifter, mount the oil tank add oil and fire her up! Still need to adjust the jack plate. Gonna start at 1/4 below.

whipper

Sweet!! looks nice. you should take some video of you speeding up and slowing down so we can see how that looks with a XS. There is only 2.5 footage cant find any 3lt videos.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
She started almost as soon as I turned the key. First impressions, Its is very quiet compared to the 200 2.5 with the drilled exhaust. Its sounds funny turning over before it starts compared to the 2.5. I still need to set the engine height and make sure the throttle is opening up all the way when I press the gas to the floor. Other than that I am ready to go. I was about half way done buffing it when the motor showed up. I made a video of it running but, don't know how to load a video from facebook. If anyone knows PM me with directions and ill post a video of it running.

whipper

See Jon need to be able to grab clips from the computer.;)

You can right click then copy then come over hear and right click paste and it should play depending on your FB security settings.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Started adjusting height and ran out of room. I am gonna have to unbolt from jack plate move a bolt hole down and bolt back up. I got to 1 inch below and ran out of adjustment room.

whipper

exciting!! At least your getting intimate before ya water test thats always a good thing.;) Once ya get her bolted in the right spot and re measure hights and gauge positions it half the battle. Whats your setback again? i think i saw 6 or 7 wasn't it. Also when I talked to a few guys they run a foil on the big motors and liked it. It probably helps keep the bow up coming off speed with the deflection? Looken good!! Not sure what ya think about it but i noticed when I took my lip down comming of speed seems more controlled. i couldn't tell ya if thats real or not its just my feeling is all on that. The hull doesnt ride as high in general with it off and I still get that jump up on the pad but no extra resistance of the lip making the hull ride way up if that makes sense. It was common for guys who had 100mph+++ to take the pencil roll down or right away. I started small and just kept on sanding one day pass after pass untill i liked how it came off speed better. i might have lost 1mph but i gain that back ever so often just with weather anyway. i know you will be experimenting lots just some added thoughts. And be safe my friend!! its all fun and games untill its not. Being cautious will respect will be your friend. ill bet that way that setup will make for heavy fishing loads way more fun taking off!!

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The plate is a 5.5 inch set back. I am pretty sure the balance is very close to what it was with the 2.5 liter. The tongue weight is the same with the 3.0 liter on the trailer as it was with the 2.5 liter. I don't plan on setting it up for topend. I have no interest in setting it up to run topend and squeezing every last mile mph out of it. I think it will be in the high 80's loaded set up conservatively/safely.

Last edited:

xb03fs

+1 on adding a Allison foil or other foil for holeshot, I think every boat should have one.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Got the motor remounted with enough room to run it just barely above should I chose to. Right now I am at 1/4" below the pad turning a 28 Drag 4. This prop was a good fishing prop for me with the 2.5 liter. It carried a load well had lots of stern lift but, wasnt really all that fast on top end. So, I had about 25 gallons of gas, full live well, wife, dog (Big Fat Golden Retriever) and all my fishing tackle. Pretty much loaded down. I really cant tell where the motor is trim wise looking back at it. I am sure that is something Ill learn the more I drive it. Its really quiet. Idled out trimmed it to what I thought was slightly under got moving about 5 mph and pushed her to the floor. Bow went to the sky. Slowed back down trimmed her down a little more started over and bow shot to the sky but quickly dropped back down and off she went. Prop blew out slightly but no where near as bad as with the 2.5. Definitely feels different driving. It actually felt more stable. I eased around turning about 3500 to 4000 rpm for a mile or so before I floored it for a shake down run to make sure everything was good to go. Once I floored it really has a lot of torque. Felt a lot like the 260, kind of set me back in the seat and just kept me planted there. I didn't notice any chine walk, really felt like it was on a rail. I ran it up to 70 pretty easily. Coming off plane the rear end definitely drops down further and the front raises up higher. Nothing crazy just different. Back wash wasn't any worst than with the 2.5 just stay in the gas a little and its no problem. As far as the handling, The lower unit that came with this motor looks like it has had a lot of work done to it. One of the water inlets has been welded up and faired back in. The skeg looks like it has had the "Allison Cut" performed on it. Their is no welded on torque tab factory bend maybe? The lower unit may have a lot to do with how well it drove. More coming I will be on the water this weekend all day. Ill give a better top speed up date. I am sure I will push it a little more, the more I drive it and build a little trust in it. I definitely need a Allison foil. So far I like it Seems like I was running mid forties and up to fifty turning les than 4k. I am thinking I will get some crazy gas mileage numbers.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Allison.jpg Boats a little dirty was in the middle of buffing new carpet etc.......when the motor showed up. But it looks enormous on the tail.

whipper

Ya looks great. I saw that skeg and thought what you said about it. Looks like the way it should be for an Allison. :):)
My guess is theres so much torque you dont have to dig a hole to take off on plane. Just a little less gas then mash it once shes moving. It sounds like a fun project and i cant wait to hear more about your experiences with that motor on her props ect... Great job!

Last edited:

rocko71

Looks good, should be a fun ride! Always been curious about the 3 liters.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Still haven't got a chance to go out and abuse it any. Don't look like I will this coming weekend will be the day because,I will be working both days. Having a little girl (2 1/2) with two working parents really puts "The All Stop" on everything................

ally25

Hey K-DAWG, It's looking good on there. Just remember not to dump the gas to quick on the slow down, the non-ratchet case will drop the nose fast. The foil will really help on the hole shot. If you want to get rid of back wash the plate under the jackplate does the trick. I love the way mine comes out of the hole and off plane with out wetting the deck.

Attachments

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I have had her out a few times since I last posted. I haven't really run it up over 5k yet. I did once run it up to 5500 with the motor trimmed negative and it got there pretty easy. I think when I am comfortable and get her trimmed up and flying hitting the limiter may be possible. The last time I looked at the GPS it was on like 77 mph. Anyhow, loaded all tackle and 3/4 of a tank of gas by myself 4500 is like 65-66 mph. Gas mileage seems to be really, really good compared to the 200 and I thought it done decent for what it was. Fyi, running a drag 4 28 pitch. Seems to work really good so far. No problem getting on plane. Even with out any sort of planning aid (Allison plate, Skid Planer). I can definitely tell there is more weight back there and she does float lower in the water. Need to put some sort of plate like Ally25 has to help with the back wash. As long as I stay in the gas some coming off plane it not that big of a deal. I just like the idea of no back wash. I am gonna yank the batteries out of the wing tips and put them in front of the gas tank. Get me a aluminum plate weld a brace on the back and bridge the gap between the 2 humps, put all three batteries there side by side. More to come.................

ally25

Hey, Sounds like you working things out. It is a different animal than before, but when it all comes together I think you're going to like it a lot. I am surprised that your boat sits deeper in the water with the set back you are running. Mine looks the same as it did with the 2.5 set-up with 8" more back there. I left all other rigging the same as it was, except for 10lbs. of weight added to the front behind foot rest. Next time out I will try and video pulling the kill sw at 45mph show the back deck staying dry. If I had known I could have eliminated the back wash with a plate like I have now, I would have put it on years ago with the other motor.P1060233.JPG P1000768.JPG

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Well, I took some pics of mine today floating tied up to the dock. My 2003 sits noticeably lower in the water compared to the 2.5. I know some say it made no difference on theirs, It did on mine......I am thinking of moving the trolling batteries in front of the hump under the front console. I don't even have a troller on the front to counter the weight of the 2.5 and it still sits much higher out of the water. Granted the picture with the Pro XS I have a half a tank of gas and the live well is full. The picture with the 2.5 half a tank and the live well is empty.