Fishing prop

zatchmo

What do all you XB2003/280 guys use for fishing props? I have a 24 Trophy that works great for pulling stumps, but I hate the fuel economy I get with it due to the extra rpms. I have a 28 Hoss that's great for top end, but it doesn't come out of the hole very well with 2 guys, full livewell, and gear. I'm thinking I probably need something like a 26", but I don't know if I should try my luck with a trophy or if I should use a chopper, or a hoss, , or a yami drag, etc. I would really like to be able to just switch props, and not have to move my engine height if possible to switch between playing, fishing, and top end but if I have to move it I will.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

zatchmo

My rev limiter is 8250 (approximately). It's the ROS program. I don't want to turn too many rpms when cruising down the river, it uses too much fuel. I really like the cruising speed and rpms of my 28, but hate the hole shot when loaded to fish, full live wells, and a partner. I'm not sure if a 26 would be too slow for me or not. I really like to be around 5500 rpms and somewhere around 70 mph when going to/from the fishing holes.

I have been offered a 27 tempest, worked to a 28 for a very attractive price. Does anybody have any experience with these?

xb2003

Which Hoss you have bro? I currently fish with a 28 3 blade HPD and it does okay. I need gas mileage out of my props since we have long runs and long stretches. The holeshot isnt no slouch my any means but I'd give up a little holeshot for the extra fuel mileage and crusing speeds. Our setups are prolly a little different though.

Allyfishing

My rev limiter is 8250 (approximately). It's the ROS program. I don't want to turn too many rpms when cruising down the river, it uses too much fuel. I really like the cruising speed and rpms of my 28, but hate the hole shot when loaded to fish, full live wells, and a partner. I'm not sure if a 26 would be too slow for me or not. I really like to be around 5500 rpms and somewhere around 70 mph when going to/from the fishing holes.

I have been offered a 27 tempest, worked to a 28 for a very attractive price. Does anybody have any experience with these?
Hi zatchmo, I am a newbie Ally owner and am learning a ton here from all you guys. This may or may not help. I kept my 200EFI Merc and put it on the XB-21 2+2 so I already had 2 props from my old rig (Astro). I first started learning to drive the Ally (last month) with my TXP O/T4 25P and decided to try my Tempest Plus 25P yesterday for the first time (I have read here from time to time that large barrel hubs are not good for Ally's?). I don't have a nose cone or LWP yet so I am limited as to what I can get or expect. But I was shocked at the results of the Tempest Plus over the TXP. The holeshot was much quicker (dog on the Astro) and at a flatter attitude and top end better by a hair over 3MPH (I expected that) . I was able to get the JP a hair higher also with the same PSI as the TXP (go figure). I have Merc scoops on right now. I can only get to a hair under 2" propshaft below pad. RPM's were the same for both at WOT. Needed less power to get the Tempest out of the hole. So with that being said........? Didn't mean to butt in, just thought it interesting. Craig :beer:

msagro

I am in about the same situation that you are in. I have a 260 instead of a 208 with a 28 Hoss and a 24 Allison cut chopper. Last summer I tried a friend of mines 26 Drag 4 and it seemed to be a great prop, didn't have it on the boat for any length of time but the holeshot was great and the mid was great along with driving very easy. My next one will be a 26 drag 4 or more likely a Hydromotive 26 Q4.

chad202

I'm fishing with a 24 txp 4 blade and it's extremely efficient. I to cruise around 5500 and speed is 68-70 depending on load. The down side of this prop is topend. It peters out in the low 90s. If u can, try a 25 or 26.

zatchmo

Which Hoss you have bro? I currently fish with a 28 3 blade HPD and it does okay. I need gas mileage out of my props since we have long runs and long stretches. The holeshot isnt no slouch my any means but I'd give up a little holeshot for the extra fuel mileage and crusing speeds. Our setups are prolly a little different though.
I think it's an HPD, but I can't remember. The prop is a few years old, it doesn't have any markings on it other than Hoss and 28 Pitch. I'm setup pretty heavy when I go fishing with a partner. The 28 has no problems getting out when I'm by myself, but throw in the extra person and fill the livewell and it's another story. Maybe I'm just asking for too much out of the hole.

I wish I was closer to some of you guys and able to ride in some different boats. There are no other boats even remotely like mine around here, so I have nothing to compare it to.

zatchmo

I'm fishing with a 24 txp 4 blade and it's extremely efficient. I to cruise around 5500 and speed is 68-70 depending on load. The down side of this prop is topend. It peters out in the low 90s. If u can, try a 25 or 26.
Wow, the prop calculator says no way a 24 can run 70 at 5500. They must do some pretty crazy things with those blades for mid-range efficiency.

chad202

It's very weird. This props rips out the hole but is very stiff as far as pitch. Runs more like a 26-27 when cruising.

zatchmo

It's very weird. This props rips out the hole but is very stiff as far as pitch. Runs more like a 26-27 when cruising.
I should try and find a 25 or 26 then. I think that would give me a reasonably hole shot and still have awesome mid-rpm cruise capability. I want to come out of the hole like a 24 and cruise like my 28 is what I really want.

bigtis

I run a 28 drag 4 with a setup like that for effeincy, it leaves like a 26, makes top end like a 30, "keeping the R's down" and all the while accelerating like a 27.5-28.

zatchmo

I run a 28 drag 4 with a setup like that for effeincy, it leaves like a 26, makes top end like a 30, "keeping the R's down" and all the while accelerating like a 27.5-28.
What kind of drag 4? Is it worked at all, or are they this good out of the box? I really don't want to get a whole ton of money into a fishing prop, but I don't want to run garbage either.

Joshua

there's a local guy on here that has the same basic setup as you. 2003 with a 280 ros, I believe he fishes with a box stock 27 tempest from what I understand It performs from hole to top end pretty good. If you can get one cheap it might be worth trying.

white03

I have a 2003 and a 280. Very much like you the fastest prop I have is a 28 Hoss. I use a standard 26 Trophy as a fishing prop and it works very well, plus it will take a beating and keep on ticking which my 26 Chopper did not do. The Chopper was faster, but after having to get it worked a few times for minor bumps and stuff that damaged it I went back to a Trophy because it will take the abuse a fishing prop gets (at least on my boat).

bill

nickens21

They guy Joshua mentioned is a friend of mine, and he uses a 26 trophy for fishing just as white 03 does!! It has better holeshot that the 27 tempest!! But that 27 tempest will deff haul the mail on top end!! He has lightning et props but perfers to run that tempest when riding and pickin on other boats!!

whipper

I love my 28 drag4 also. Ive had the 26 drag4 and its just not the same as the 28,s. The 28 comes out of the hole like a smaller prop and just plain rips every were out of the hole all the way up with 5 persons and full fuel on a GS with a 225. So with your 280 it would be an animal out of the hole,midrange and Ill bet a buck that with a two up fishing load its faster on top than 90% of the 28 3 blade props out there that are stock.
I dont no to many running one and I want to try one myself but Todds T4X hydromotive in a 27 or 28 looks like it would also be a similar runner for heavy loads. Very close blade design but a little crisper looking than the performance Drag4. The first pic is Todds TX-4 in a 30 its accually the one Lotus has for sale. and the second pic is my performance 28 Drag4. There very close in design but I must say the finish on Hydromitves TX-4 is better. Also my Drag is worked for an SS but you see the simularities.

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I have a cheap ole ron hill copy drag 4 28 I use on my 2003 with a 260 and I like it for a heavy load. Has a great holeshot but, being a stock ron hill is slower than a real drag 4 on top. I run low 80s with it.

zatchmo

I really like the looks of the drag 4 and would like to try one. Unfortunately the wallet says I shouldn't be buying a new one now (not for $700 anyway) so I'll keep watching for a used one. The only thing I worry about buying used is getting one worked for something else may not work well on my hull. I'm not hard on props at all, the only thing we really have to hit here are sandbars and they just make the skeg a little shinny. Thanks for all your input guys, I really do appreciate it.