Facebook vid of 114mph pass @ Clifton

RedAllison

(Sorry I've tried to get this clip from my phone to youtube but this phone is about to get SHOT for not cooperating!)

This was Thursday at Clifton in Mr. Thom Bucknell's XB2002/Merc Drag. We covered a little over a mile during the 33 secs of vid. Steckbauer case with 1.75s, 24" Hmotive wheel, 9000+ RPM.

At 8-9secs you can see some lakehomes on the starboard side that are .7+ miles from the Clifton Beach/Rally boats. (Via Googles Draftlogic distance map site) And then at 23-24secs the beach/rally boats come into view starboard side.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200954726324807&set=vb.1065591196&type=2&theater

lol I had to keep both hands on the cellphone as it I didn't want it to go flyin and I couldn't move as I was balanced. Certainly no smooth and steady go-pro cam shot but kinda gives you more of a "real" perspective of what it's like at such a pace. Keep in mind there was a Merc Drag howlin at 9000Rs just a few feet behind me but the wind was all that could be heard from the cockpit! I love Mr. Thom and as usual there's NO second thoughts about riding at such speeds with him at the wheel. "Get in, sit down, shut up and hang on!" :beer:

TBuck2003

If I am not mistaken the current was going the other way... The current that day which was the last day was 2. ? mph. The first day was 6 mph when the river was really rolling. Somebody more knowledgeable should comment but I am almost certain the current was running the opposite direction of video...

john4utvols

The current at Clifton was terrible this year, everybody that I talked to said it hurt there runs and made them slower because of the swirls you would hit in the water. I have been running that water for 20 years and my speeds are the same either direction I run, I have never seen a 5-7 mph gain because of the current.

If thom ran that speed the last day, that was awesome considering everyone that ran that day was losing 3-4 mph because of the high humidity and muggy air. Ask Lou what speeds he lost that day.

RedAllison

5-7 faster at Clifton? So anyone can show up, anytime of the year, run INTO the current & run 1-teens with 2 onboard? :cuss

That pass was on Thursday & yes it was INTO the current which that day was the first day the TVA had quit spilling at Pickwick so the fast drawdown on KY Lake had began. (The water fell nearly 2ft that night) Depending on where you measured it, the current was running 2.5-3.2mph. (Measured via drifting in my XB21 with the GPS on)

There were some FAST boats at Clifton last week but I'm very confident when I say I was in the ONLY one that would push 2 people in the 1-teens upriver! :cool:
RA

whipper

Up river or down river teens with two up in a fish boats mighty impressive I thought. Not to many vee hulls can do that 20ft and under with an outboard. That is your dad running the 02 Todd?

RedAllison

Yes James that is Mr. Thom's 87 XB02 and 05 Merc Drag. He doesn't fish in it so it isn't rigged as such. Mr. Thom is as solid as an oak tree and I'm 6'4" 250 so it wasn't hauling a couple of horse jockeys either!

Darth VMAX

Thats VERY impressive. Holy crap....flat awesome. Is there any other bass boat capable of that??

allisonriverrat

I run faster at Cliftin myself. I love the fast current when the are drawing the water. Its easy to run 5-7 mph faster there.

The current was fast with the high water.. But under normal conditions I have never know the water to be that much faster due to current in Clifton. I usually run same up or down stream under normal conditions.