engine hight attitude

whipper

When running even or 1/4 above she feels like theres less bow rise when trimming. Running lever perhaps. Does any of you guys feel this also when running higher engine hights? I chickened out trimming because the bow felt to low though i was still gaining speed. Ran the 26OS to 7400RPM today right around 90 at 1/4 above. It felt like there was more but the bow seemed to low and almost looked like it was going to drop if thats possable to tell?:gasp

When i went to slow I bumped down once firsts and the hull seemed to be right there. This seem normal or should I just run even with a tad more trim. The hull feels more lifty when your lower I think.

catfish123

My opinion is that you may be bordering on going too high with your motor. I have experienced the "nose feels low" attitude and inability to get it up higher if the motor is too high. I have sanded the lip however, so my too high and your too high may be different. I can easily run 3/4" to 1" above the pad with no problem. Most of the 26 pitch props I have run would be running more than 90 at 7400 rpm's.

GotMyAlly

The prop is starting to slip and that lack of bite won't let the additional trim carry the bow higher. Or at least that's my interpretation of what's happening there. I'd say drop it back down just a little, maybe just an 1/8".

I've experienced the same thing when I dialed the boat in light, then added weight. Just need to drop the JP a hair to let the prop hook up and carry the weight.

suicidealli

i think i agree with neal. when i run high on the pad i try and run more of a bow lifting prop, so you dont use the trim. the higher you go the less trim you are going to have. the further you go back the higher you can raise the motor. the diameter of the prop makes a difference in slip too. i like small ear chopper on my 2002 when above the pad, or yammi's. whipper when you change set up, that means your prop may not be the best for that set up. trial and error with each prop. i love small ear choppers when the motor is high, and your not going to spin more 9000.
i bet the boat ran great before you raised the motor, because you have tried different props to find one that works at that height. trial and error whipper!!!! set up doesnt come easy...

roy

whipper

Yes to all. Thats what I suspected also. Since I can raise the motor to the moon and had calm water today I tought I would try the 14 incher a little above and see what happens. I got close to the same speeds at even with the pad light and lower rpm. But never tryed to string it that last little bit like today. Ive had slip in the 2-3 range lower and higher up I just did a calculation and that is over 7!! Must be to high for that diamiter I guess. The water pressure and temps looked like they were starting to get unhappy also.

Next time Ill run were I was before at around even and try a few more bumps.

I sure like the less setback now. i didnt at first but like it now. I havent had a passanger yet but I dont think the new setup will be as good with a heavy load as before. Just judging buy the way the bow sets up on out of the hole.

Thanks for your knowledge guys.

Regards

James

bigtis

WHIP!!!

first off let me start by saying that it's all in what you want to do when setting the boat up. as roy said earlier the higher you go with the engine the less controll you have over the bow with every bump of the up trim.

TO TRULY SEE what your boat will do on the big end by yourself, you gotta wear your helmet and jacket. bring a 20lb. shot bag with you cause they'll get finicky on the big end when set up on the verge. usually with a true topend setup the trim button WILL NOT CARRY the bow. it may make the boat break loose a little and accelerate alot harder, but it won't actually pick up the bow so to speak. It will take MPH to make the hull lift. Usually on a top end run when we're testing engine heights and it's getting close to where it needs to be we'll hold the pedal down until the rpm's stop climbing. then tap it up. if the bow carries and doesn't dip, "NOT A CONTROLLED DIP AS IT DOES WHEN IT STARTS TO RUN ON THE LIP" hold it until the rpm's stop climbing. repeat those steps until the bow won't carry with each up trim.

NOW FOR SOME ADVICE IF IT GETS SPOOKY!!!!!

You'll have to have nuts and the ability to think fast if and when this happens should you plan to push your boat to it's full capability.

on that last bump of up trim when the bow doesn't come up but slaps the water and feels as though it's fixing to hook on you, "CAUSE IT IS" .........KEEP THE PEDAL COMPLETELY MASHED. only one bump down on the trim AND SOME RIGHT STEER until the bow rises. tap it down one more time and start to decelarate WHILE MAKING THE BOAT VEER right. the little amount of right steer helps put some water to the prop and gets the bow up and under control for a moment, THEN IT"S UP TO YOU ta get it off the pad safely without turning around. I find that when you set em up to be strung out, they don't decelerate as well as your used to.

think about it!!!!! when your running and turning left, the bow will drop right? but when you turn right it will pick up the bow.. so for instance in a wide turn when runnin where the boat will have a slight rooster tail and the prop isn't really carrying the boat. make a right turn and the boat will loose roost and start to carry depending on if your at that right speed, and the exact opposit effect will occur when turning left.:beer:

Later fellas. time to go rip some lips and quench my thirst.:very happy

Last edited:

ziemer

Trim it up. :wink

How far a you back??? 12"?

I would think you're fine at 1/4" above...try giving it a bump or two more on the up button...isn't your pad sanded down a bit too?

Doesn't sound like your 26 is that far off at 90/7400...

chad202

Yep when I run high, I let the hull lift before really getting on the upper portion of the trim. If i'm on the gas and trim button, it will hook on me cause the power, lack of prop bite is just pushing the bow down... I stay say about 6 on my trim and when I get into the 90s, it starts hooking up and lifting, then i trim it up to much to free up the boat to climb faster, then lay back down on it a few touches.

whipper

Trim it up. :wink

How far a you back??? 12"?

I would think you're fine at 1/4" above...try giving it a bump or two more on the up button...isn't your pad sanded down a bit too?

Doesn't sound like your 26 is that far off at 90/7400...
Im at 10 now Ziemer. I raised the motor and backed off on the setback. I feel this setup gets me quiker to speed but dont think loads in the boat will be as good as 12 setback by the feels of her. The hull felt like she ran more {up} at 12 than 10? Not really sure. She does feel way flatter in the 85-90 range than before. lips sanded down yes. I dont have a bigger wheel at this time to see how she goes any faster. I think I was maxed out rpm and trim at 90 with the 26. My limitters at 7500.

Also as Randy said comming off isnt as stable as before. Only a little less. But before I could chop the gas now I have to trim down one or two first and let off slower till the hulls in the water good and straight.

I took one of my bags of Shot I had well forword and placed it at the back of the gunnel. I figured because the off set was closer now i would need more counter wieght aft than forward with less setback. When she started to feel like the bow wouldnt carry I jerked the wheel a little to the right and yes it does grab better water. I felt the case was stuck deflecting to much on one side. This really does help!! I also did try one bump down on a few passes as you mentioned untill the set felt better then got that bump back when the speed cought up to the prop.

Randy that was very good information!! Thankyou.

bigtis

Just wish I was young and came up in the good ol day's. things are so F'ed up in the world we live in compared to 20yrs ago when I was a kid.

TBuck2003

Whip do not know if this was mentioned but keep in mind moving 2" in on transom has increased your motor height. You are in effect an 1/8" to a 1/4 " higher at 10 than at 12, without moving or touching a thing on your plate. You probably did not have same issue when at 12" I am guessing. Be fast Be safe.

TBuck

whipper

Whip do not know if this was mentioned but keep in mind moving 2" in on transom has increased your motor height. You are in effect an 1/8" to a 1/4 " higher at 10 than at 12, without moving or touching a thing on your plate. You probably did not have same issue when at 12" I am guessing. Be fast Be safe.

TBuck
You right. I noticed that after the fact. i raised the motor then brought it in. When I tryed bring in the motor on the jack I had to raise the come along to get the holes to line up!! To get the hight i could have left the motor on the hole it was at and just moved in the motor or left the motor at 12 raised to get an inch above max. :banghead Now i can raise to way over an inch. Im debating on lowering the motor a hole again but leaving the setback at 10? Your at 12 right? mesuring from the transom to the motor bracket?

bigtis

You right. I noticed that after the fact. i raised the motor then brought it in. When I tryed bring in the motor on the jack I had to raise the come along to get the holes to line up!! To get the hight i could have left the motor on the hole it was at and just moved in the motor or left the motor at 12 raised to get an inch above max. :banghead Now i can raise to way over an inch. Im debating on lowering the motor a hole again but leaving the setback at 10? Your at 12 right? mesuring from the transom to the motor bracket?
it's alway's been easier for us to have a consertative top end setup, "to an extent" using more setback than less. what exactly are you trying to accomplish with your setup?

suicidealli

if your lip is sanded off it is a different ball game. you can , and need to run them a lot higher to get the same effect. i have only drove one ally without a lip, and it handled great. it was atleast 1" above the pad. it was johns xb 2002 with a 280.

roy

Last edited:

whipper

if your lip is sanded off it is a different ball game. you can , and need to run them a lot higher to get the same effect. i have only drove one ally without a lip, and it handled great. it was atleast 1" above the pad. it was johns xb 2002 with a 280.

roy
At what setback do you remember? I have no lip.

whipper

it's alway's been easier for us to have a consertative top end setup, "to an extent" using more setback than less. what exactly are you trying to accomplish with your setup?
What I was trying to acomplish was a higher prop shaft hight. At 12 setback were my engine bracket was mounted wasnt high enough. I was just even with the pad all up. I didnt like the strain on the jackplate when it ran to the very very top. It would power out and was fully extended.

To run the jack more in the middle at even and allow for 1/2 to 1 inch above was my goal. i achieved this. I need to get a larger diamiter wheel to try higher now though. 14 is the largest dia wheel right now. I will try a 14.5 at 1/2 above or more when i get one. At 1/4 above is as high as the 14 will let me go with decent bite.

As Todd mentioned I could let the motor down a hole now that i reduced the setback and still get 3/4 above. I am wondering how this setup with setback will carry a load compared to when I was at 12 though. Havent had a passanger yet? Im asuming that 12 will carry a load better?