Engine height on XB2003/225 PM???

Allyfishing

I have no knowledge on a prop to pad measurement for a 225 PM stock sporty on a stock lip XB2003 with 14.5" setback.

And my question is if a lip has been reduced at all how do you know where to start with prop to pad?? What would be the procedure for figuring out how to set the engine height with an XB03 loaded for fishing? This promax has an offshore mid and I guess has to run an over hub prop.

I set the prop to pad at exactly 1/2" below pad. I drove and the passenger sat beside me and at around 6200 it hit a wall at 71.9 MPH. I bumped the trim a bit more and the bow got a bit squirelly so i stopped there. There is no trim gauge other than a stainless marine which is not hooked up at the motor. At idle the engine looked a bit past neutral trim so I figured it should be about right on the trim.

If the lip was reduced at all would that be the reason for hitting a wall?

Thanks.....I'm trying to help out a friend.
Craig

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't have to run an over the hub prop. Is that skewbys old boat? 1/2" is too low. With almost no lip on mine I ran 1/2" above for every day running. Just got the lip put back on and 1/4 below now it feels a little low and will probably end up at even I'm guessing.

Allyfishing

Yes Bryan it's Skewby's. I dropped it down to 1/2" below pad cuz when I first checked it, it was well above the pad. Not knowing if or how much of the lip was worked or removed, is why I dropped it. And also being a new driver I figured it should keep him out of trouble.

Skewby carried some safety equipment and a beer cooler while Mick is going to have it loaded to fish. Right now he has some tackle and rods etc. and 3 heavy batteries, MK 80# fortrex.

I thought that if has no exhaust running thru the prop then it has to run an over hub prop?? At least that's what I was told. He tried a Trophy and he said the engine did not run right. Like it either wasn't getting fuel or an electrical issue and it wasn't running on all cylinders??

I'm thinking of putting it back to even with the pad and see what happens and if it doesn't get bast the 70+ mark then it is the engine.

Oh, and the prop he has on yesterday was the SRX that Skewby ran. I think Mick said it was a 28?

scj

If the lip has been sanded at all, that's more reason to run the engine higher.
I would start at 1/4" above and drop down to a 26" prop for a fishing load.
He can also install a block off plate on the off-shore mid to force the exhaust through the lower unit.

GotMyAlly

I'd try to measure the lip......

Even if some lip has been removed, you may be a little low, but even an inch low shouldn't scrub off 20 mph.

Allyfishing

right...that's what I thought too. I'm 200 LB and he's round 280 (i think that's what he told me) but I figured too that we would at least get into the 80's

I have no idea how to measure the lip

Mick

Craig thanks for the post you beat me to it. I was gonna ask before I go selling my trophy and looking for a 4 blade pro et or similar, will it help to have all bent holes open? Right now on the trophy I have to small hole plugs in. With the trophy thought it will not rev up. I thought there was something wrong with the motor, but someone on s&f said that with an offshore mid thru Hub props don't work very well. So is there anything I can do to make the trophy work or should I be in the market for a drag or pro et?

Allyfishing

So we are looking at 2 things here........does the motor need to go up a bit more to get the speed and rpm's up and what is the deal with over hub vs thru hub props on an off shore mid??

ziemer

Need to go at least even on the height. Be sure to measure from the pad and not the lip. Should drive a whole bunch better and not get squirrely.

Mick

The Srx is a 27 and i believe it needs to be balanced because it shakes the boat pretty bad when running, makes a noise thru the finerglass. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate everyone's knowledge and willingness to help a new ally owner!

skewby

i tried a couple different trophys on that boat and only had one that would run pretty well. that combo with a stock 26 trophy would not run 55mph and would not lift at all, same prop on rogers 03 ran great. that combo just never liked thru hub props. last year during the rally i tried one of my trophy's when we went to breakfast at caney creek and the motor would only turn 5000 and no matter how much trim it plowed the nose. i thought motor was going bad, but when i limped it back to sugar valley i put the srx on it and everything was back to normal and had no problems turning it 68-7000 rpms. that boat drove itself with 2 people and the srx or a borrowed 28 performer.

dubmoney

I thought I might chime in since I have a 27 SRX on my XB03. I have a bob's cone on a 200 case. My SRX also vibrates as I am coming out of the whole, don't know if its the prop or the LU that makes a kind of loud humming noise at about 55. My motor with this prop runns very nice at 70 to 75. My best so far with it is 87 mph. I think it could do 95. I have a hydraulic jack plate so I don't really have any exact heights to report, when I get a little more seat time I plan on putting stops on my jack plate so when it is all the way down it will be at a known height. Right now all the way down is 1 3/8" below pad. I once trimmed up at about 83 mph, and it blew out and the nose dropped and I thought I was going for a swim, but I was able to trim down and getting to hook up again. That experiece coupled with the sensation that I can quite get it to balance on lip, makes me want a prop that carries the bow higher. I have read that many newbies like me have the sensation of the bow being too low, so that is why I am going to give this prop more time. Does anyone else agree that an SRX may make it hard to lift the bow?

scj

Buy a block off plate for your off shore mid if you want to run over/thru props. As long as all the guts are in the mid, it'll force the exhaust out the gearcase..............

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes Briun it's Skewby's. I dropped it down to 1/2" below pad cuz when I first checked it, it was well above the pad. Not knowing if or how much of the lip was worked or removed, is why I dropped it. And also being a new driver I figured it should keep him out of trouble.

Skewby carried some safety equipment and a beer cooler while Mick is going to have it loaded to fish. Right now he has some tackle and rods etc. and 3 heavy batteries, MK 80# fortrex.

I thought that if has no exhaust running thru the prop then it has to run an over hub prop?? At least that's what I was told. He tried a Trophy and he said the engine did not run right. Like it either wasn't getting fuel or an electrical issue and it wasn't running on all cylinders??

I'm thinking of putting it back to even with the pad and see what happens and if it doesn't get bast the 70+ mark then it is the engine.

Oh, and the prop he has on yesterday was the SRX that Skewby ran. I think Mick said it was a 28?
I'd definitely go back to close to where it was. It ran well before, even with 2 up front. I've not felt the need in my 03 to move the motor much for varying loads. Only time I move the jack plate is when I wanna try something for fun, but when you have it close to where it needs to be, you won't need to move the plate much.

Craig thanks for the post you beat me to it. I was gonna ask before I go selling my trophy and looking for a 4 blade pro et or similar, will it help to have all bent holes open? Right now on the trophy I have to small hole plugs in. With the trophy thought it will not rev up. I thought there was something wrong with the motor, but someone on s&f said that with an offshore mid thru Hub props don't work very well. So is there anything I can do to make the trophy work or should I be in the market for a drag or pro et?
Try the vent holes wide open, but that will only help at holeshot. Once you're on plane none of that matters.

So we are looking at 2 things here........does the motor need to go up a bit more to get the speed and rpm's up and what is the deal with over hub vs thru hub props on an off shore mid??
The only difference I've noticed since putting my offshore mid on and changing nothing else is the holeshot. Holeshot is worse with thru hub and over/thru hub props because of less exhaust gasses at the prop to let it spool up. My over the hub props have a better holeshot now because they don't rev up as much. After the boat is out of the hole, there seems to be absolutely no differences other than noise. All my props still run the same as before.

Mick

Thanks silverbullet.. I did the like the way the trophy ran once it got on plane, I just had no idea that the engine bogging like that, could be caused by a prop biting to much.. I'm gonna put the engine as close to where it was as I can, and try the trophy again with all holes open.. Pretty sure a pro et or similar will solve my problems though with out blocking the exhaust.. I love that loud exhaust!! Lol

Allyfishing

So Mick, there's nothing wrong with the motor?? it was the trophy on holeshot is what you were saying when the motor wasn't running right?

Mick

Yep, thought I specified that yest.. I was very happy and kinda have to laugh at the same time!! I feel
Like a total rookie..... Lol

Mick

Glad you verified that noise/vibration dub money.. Definatly thought there was something wrong with the prop. He trophy didn't make any noise like that.