engine height for 92 mph

Lotus 50

My goal for this summer is to break 90. SS2000 with 225 PM. I'd like to break 90 with a conservative engine height. What is that?

With my prior 150 XR4, engine height had a huge effect on speed.

My props to try are
31 Triton
30 Triton
30 Small ear chopper
29 SRX
28 Dunamis (worked small ear chopper)

Speed vs acceleration. I'd like low 90's with as much acceleration as possible. I'll start with the props I own.

thanks for any direction

njj502

You should easily break 90 I'd think. I ran 98 in a GS just a touch above the pad. My lip has been ground down a bit...

mdevrow

Loose the limiter on the PM, engine height of 1" above +- Love Triton 1 But for acceleration up to 90plus Try Yamaha Drag maybe a 26 or 28 and hang on They Pull! Enjoy sounds like a nice Rig!!

Last edited:

patches

I would think that's an easy 100 mph rig. I know some people that aren't scared to run the motor high that I'd bet big money could scare 110 out of it. If you can't get 90 out of it you should put all 6 spark plugs in it and try again. Lol

Lotus 50

My goal for year one is a conservative set up and low 90's. I have not driven in the 90s so I 'll practice there before going for more. Can I get there 1/2" below?

Ally1209

It should easily run in the low 90s at 1/2" below my xb02 was running 94 1" below with the same motor on the limiter with a little setup and no limiter it would run a 100 all day long 3/8" above with a coned 200 case and 30 pitch chopper 2 unworked

patches

I think the boat would be easier to drive with the motor higher. 1/2 below, in my opinion, is too conservative. I'd put it 3/8" to 1/2" above and go up from there experimenting with the way it drives. What setback and gear case are you running

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that is the lower you just got from Todd you should ask him where to start. He won't steer you wrong.

My uneducated guess it start at even and go up. Too deep makes it much harder to drive.

Bobalouie

If that is the lower you just got from Todd you should ask him where to start. He won't steer you wrong.

My uneducated guess it start at even and go up. Too deep makes it much harder to drive.
+1

If you have a low water pickup gearcase, there is no reason to run below the pad on an Allison. Start at even and go up from there.

patches

Yep, doesn't make sense to intentionally hold a rig back and make it harder to drive at the same time. Get that sucker up there and let it eat

whipper

x2 on even then up. Lose the limiter, send it to repair or get a Brucato acu with a 7500+ rpm limiter. I do over 90 all the time with a 26 to 28 inch prop in a GS. You'll be over 100 with a 30+ pitch light load 1/4 to 1/2 above with no limiter. I would run a 26 or 27 with your setup with no limiter. A 26 or 27 would be a very quick ride to 90,s.

If your running a promax over 7300 rpm don't be cheep on oil, I always go 40-1 and if your holding it longer than 30 sec above 90 I add a splash more oil. Also aces is a good idea to mix in also. I would also send your heads in to get a little more grunt. Mine are 33cc but 34cc would be good for were you live. Thats the best less than 200 you'll spend.

Is your cowl aftermarket or stock factory? If a bobs for instance you need to add bigger holes as they are to restrictive. The stock cowls are designed to move the air flow toward the intake, the bobs have no deflector so bigger and more holes solves this.

Every prop is different were it will like to run best. 1/4 below and up. Personally I think a 30 pitch is to high of pitch for a 225 for anything other than a light load long distance running to save fuel. But even that would be debatable over a 28 with a promax in fresh water. A 26-27,28, pitch will get you well over 90 7400 rpm or less. A 28 at 7400 rpm will get you right around 98- 100. For a 30 to get you into upper 90,s to 100+ youll need to free up the prop a great deal and be running very very high as the motor will have a harder time getting the rpm turning such a big wheel. A 30 is a real dog and very hard on the motor and gear case I feel personally. I think its better for the motor and gear case to run smaller pitch props at a higher rpm than larger pitch props at a lower rpm.

Dont get me wrong there is a place for a 30 but theres more places for smaller pitch props. When theres boats on the lake its hard to beat a stout 26. When the window of opportunity is small and you have a higher rpm motor you can make a blast to 90 and back off in a much shorter time and area than a 30 would allow as an example.

Lotus 50

I have all those big props lest over from my quest for 90 with my lightly modified 150 XR4. My best speed was with the 31.

I think I will start with the 28.

whipper

I have all those big props lest over from my quest for 90 with my lightly modified 150 XR4. My best speed was with the 31.

I think I will start with the 28.
Big props are fun for light wot runs on calm water and take it easy getting there. Youll for sure get a higher top speed but with some more R,s you get to a speed thats real decent faster with less load on the engine is all.
One prop I haven't tried but want to is a 27 pitch!! Loads of 28 and 26 pitch but I cant help but think that one in the middle for my setup would be the best of both worlds {as good as that gets} with a higher rpm promax. So feeling this way with a GS your 28 might be the same. BUT your going to run out of rpm with anything under 30 until you bump up that 6750 to around 7500 with that hull I feel?

TBuck2003

Start 1/4" below and work up from there. Dave remember that you do not have to be a WOT to determine how boat is feeling. You can tell a lot at 80-85 when you are experimenting with height. Most important to me is that the bow is still carrying and reacting to positive trim. If you trim up and bow does not lift you are too high. You will accomplish all you want to do at a conservative set up height. Always proceed smartly and trust your gut... Be Fast, Be Safe...

Todd

catfish123

This is absolutely the best, most accurate information you will receive about this. Pay attention to it and don't be easily swayed into the higher is better type of thinking. Todd's advice about carrying the bow should always be foremost in your mind when you tap your trim lever. As he said, "if you trim up and bow does not lift, YOU ARE TOO HIGH". I have witnessed an SS2000 like yours easily hitting 100mph with a 225X running about 1/4" below the pad.

racerx

Ran a ss for years always kept motor quarter inch under any above with a passenger can get you in trouble in a decent chop I went up another quarter same set up gained a 1mph whoopee its no fun having your passenger in your lap asking whats that about...

2003225X

With an untouched pad I wouldn't see a need to go higher than even with the pad at most. Mine runs real well at 1/4 up to 1/8ish below. It handles well, and the 225x I had was a pretty easy 100mph at those heights.