Drag Prop for a Grand Sport?

ziemer

Ziemer, how often did you tear down that motor spinning it at 9500? I'm deciding if I can afford to spin a 22 up or if I should keep the rpm's down a little for longevity. Good point on the electrics, I think Mike has a stock 280 setup.
The first season I think I ran 4 or 5 races, plus the practice and setup time on a motor that already had a season or better on it. Lou (2fastformom) just bought it from me. The second season, I only ran a few races (I think 3) plus again the setup and practice time and that motor is still on my boat this year.

(Lou had Brendan put new rings in the motor he bought from me and that was it.)

Wally, as Casey mentioned you won't be drag racing much with the limiter at 7750. :wink (At least nothing more than about an 1/8 mile.)

With 280 electrics and a 22 you'll hang with people out of the hole but probably loose on the top end because that 280 won't spin up over 9000, and with a 24 you'll get pulled out of the hole but start chasing down at the end. (That's if you're beside someone in comparable power and weight. :wink)

wally II

Allright, so the word is "loss the limiter" which is no problem if and I say ....if....I spin up to 9000 and can feel "ok" about my motor having longevity. I know nothing is guaranteed but...so far the motor(a 2001) has been running flawlessly.
So, with that being said it sounds like a 24 is the way to go if I do that.
A.A., I will come and see you at your strip Mall and introduce myself and certainly take you up on the offer to try the small shaft props you mentioned. Would be fun to try the 28 Hyperdrive, I have a 30 Hyperdrive that I really like as well. Always wanted to try a triton as well and a 26 may be a winner.
Thanks for all the input. I know nothing provides the feedback like actual water time with the prop in question but...sure would like to have a baseline to try....and I think I have got that now. Most of my experience has been running fast for the top-end numbers and this drag stuff is newer to me, but it's fun(and addicting). I think the few races I have run have all been a fbt short of an actual quarter, more like an 1/8 mile but....that was just my impression of the races(Barefoot Bob's In New Ulm). Scott or Msethsmiledo either of you guys know how long the course was?
Anyway...great feedback....thanks!

whipper

Allison92 I was wondering who you were!:laughing I just wanted to tell you I love the checks on your wings!! That looks great. I pulled up this site at the local graphics shop to show them your GS because Im going to get that put on mine. You have a very sweet GSE!!! Triton3 was Skydogs favarite prop also. James

Last edited:

jbf 2002

mike,

if you are gonna' sevre two masters, (lake boating, skiing and grass roots draggin') you will have to find a happy medium. p.s. you should open up that virgin 280 and take a look.........cheap insurance.

scott, if you take a 2.5 and twist it past 9500 rpm on a regular basis and do not tear it down each season or more..........you have more money than I.

my .02,

j.f.

Last edited:

jbf 2002

cliffy,

where is your mill? did you send it out to be refurbed-pumped-up? i would have scott gilmore freshen' it up and drop the 'hone down the holes and slam some slugs in 'er. finish hone 'em with a concoction of distilled spirits, why not it seems to work elsewhere.

p.s. make sure you mic. the holes with a 16' stanley.

j.f.

wally II

Jay, glad you made it through another fine winer up here in the Northland. Yeah, probably a good idea to take a peak inside the motor to see how things are looking. It is abou time.
What's your opinion on removing the limiter? Yeah, I use the boat for a variety of things, skiing, tubing, pulling my boys wakeboarding, running the local lakes as fast as I can and a bit of drag fun when I can as well as having a toddy or two with the wife and going slow and taking in the sights. That's why the Grand Sport works so well for us.
I don't mind getting another wheel(I will have to let one go, as I think that 5 props is my limit) but think 1 drag wheel should be plenty. Mike

citabriatom

(I will have to let one go, as I think that 5 props is my limit) Mike[/QUOTE]

Don't do that!!!!(where else can your buddies go to get props to try out?)

wally II

You are right. My bad. guess i better get a couple more prop cases to store the addn. prop inventory!