Drag Prop for a Grand Sport?

Rusrog

Triton's run good but they don't slip enough to really drag race well. I had one that was progressive pitched and it did a bunch better but my boat was fairly light as well. On a GS you will need something low pitch and something that will slip a bit to let the motor make some power. I would go with something that you know will work. Get a 22 or 24 Yamaha and have fun.

Russ

wally II

Looking for a new drag prop for my Grand Sport. I have the Merc' 2.5(280 hp) Sport on it and am thinking of either a 26 Triton or ????
What are you other Grand Sport owners using that you like?
All my other props have too much pitch(28-30) or are strictly ski props.
Thanks for the info. Mike

Fl Boy in ILL

The only time I drag raced my GSE, i used a 22 ET and it worked great (I won the race beating a Stream w/260) A yami drag will work also 24 i would guess.

Rick

wally II

a 22?? Wow, I would think you would "run out of steam" on the far end of the race with a 22, but can't argue with success. I ran a worked 28 chopper last year and aside from being sloooow off the line I did o.k. Really thought a 26 would be best but....if a 24 is the popular choice I am open to that. Any other opinions?

Scott in MN

I think the 24 yammi would work well except when you line up with me, then bolt the 28 back on :) ....Scott

whipper

I havent draged but have read guys talk about the 22-24 pitch for drags. I havent read where guys use anything taller than that. Ask Ziemer I think he drags with a 23 or 24 Yamy? James

V6MERC

I drove a buddys Bullet 20XD/280?? when he had his HydroMotive 24" T-3X Drag bolted on and that was a badazz lil prop!!! He has a offshore mid and when you stomp the gas, IT GOES!!!

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Much like Scott in MN, I have a 32 cleaver you can borrow when you line up with me. It runs real well despite missing an ear.

Fl Boy in ILL

Yep a 22 or a 24 is the way to go, it spins up quick but remember you ain't running 3/4 mile or all theway across the lake, short burst of pure accelleration and thats what DRAG racing is all about, quickness not speed.

On my Ally SS w/280 my 24 Yami was quicker than my 22 ET, the clock doesn't lie, that was in 1000' at Smokin in the Cove.

Rick

wally II

Well, the votes are in, and despite the rather "radical" suggestions by local guys Scott and Msethsmile(thanks guys, really looking forward to seeing you on the starting line in MN this summer), it appears a 24 is the answer. Now, a decision on a Hoss vs. a Yammi vs. a Hydromotive vs. a ????
Maybe someone has all three they can send me to try for a weekend? Wouldn't THAT be a nice way to burn a couple dozen gallons of gas!!
Thanks for the input.

Scott in MN

I think that a comparison of different props for ET would be great. I know that my 24 Yammi accellerates like a banshee and then goes flat on the upper end. I have a worked 24 chopper that I bet is 5 MPH faster on the upper end but the yammi will beat it in the quarter.

ziemer

If you're looking for a fun river prop to drag race with, a 24 might be ok, but if you're looking to do any sort of competitive racing, the 22 yamaha is the only choice.

I ran my GS in the local club here in FL and with a stock 260 and a Tillman 22" yamaha, I would turn about 9500 +/- in the 1/4 at right around 96 mph, again +/-. If you're running stock electronics on your 280 the 24 may also be better because you won't spin it as high as the 260. If you're running 260 electronics, again I would stick to the 22.

Our local club was small, however we had some heavy hitters in the lake racer class, including Andy Driver, Lee Sanderson, & Jeff Tyner, all of which have won numerous times in ODBA. (I was able to beat all of them at least once or twice too. :beer: :beer: )

Scott in MN

Ziemer, how often did you tear down that motor spinning it at 9500? I'm deciding if I can afford to spin a 22 up or if I should keep the rpm's down a little for longevity. Good point on the electrics, I think Mike has a stock 280 setup.

Allison's Allison

Well, the votes are in, and despite the rather "radical" suggestions by local guys Scott and Msethsmile(thanks guys, really looking forward to seeing you on the starting line in MN this summer), it appears a 24 is the answer. Now, a decision on a Hoss vs. a Yammi vs. a Hydromotive vs. a ????
Maybe someone has all three they can send me to try for a weekend? Wouldn't THAT be a nice way to burn a couple dozen gallons of gas!!
Thanks for the input.
I'd vote for the 24 yammi drag. That was my favorite prop on my GS for racin'. Wally, You runnin a big shaft or small?

wally II

I'm running stock electronics on my 280 and it has the small shaft. With the rev limiter at 7750 I gotta believe a 24 or 26 would be best. Yeah Ziemer, if I was turning 9500(Yikes!!) I can see a 22 but...that isn't the case.
Great to hear from you Allison's Allison! A fellow SD "go-fast" guy. We are a rare breed.
If anyone wants to trade a 29 SRX(8/10 on the scale) for a 24 or 26 drag Yammi I am ready!

Casey G

Wally your not going to be able to drag race with a 7750 limiter. I recommend loosing the limiter and buying a 22p Yamaha and let it spin up. don't worry the motor will live just fine at 9500. all competitive lake racer boats in the ODBA and DSRA are turning well over 10k.

FFWD

I had a Grandsport with a 280 and a 24 yammi would set it on fire, but you are going to have to up the rev limiter to take advantage of it. Mine would turn about 8800 in the quater at about 94mph. I also had a 26 hoss triton and as mentioned above it was faster on top end but nowhere near the punch. If you don't want to raise your rev limiter, then my choice would be a 26 hackney(performance propeller).

Allison's Allison

Wally, I don't have my 24 yammi drag for you to try, a log got ahold of it down here and destroyed it. I got a newer drag motor this year w/big shaft so i'm going to sell all my small spline props. One of which is a 26 Hoss triton. I also will be selling my 28 Hoss hyperdrive, which is my all time favorite prop on my GS. It's gonna make me sick to get rid of that one. Anyway, If you wanna try either one this spring ,feel free. We got a strip mall in Sioux Falls out on east 10th next to cambells (Allison Plaza) so I'm always in S.F.