Drag 4 or ?

suicidealli

I would consider buying a 26 with tip cup only. For me a 28 has to have tip cup also with the 225. they just feel so right the way they lift the hull up but balanced and smoooooth. Unless your buying new you have to be quick on the draw for 28 drags. Search S&F go back lots of pages in props see how fast right priced ones sell. Get used to looking at them and one comes up in that 450 or less range post them call asap and work out a deal. Snooze ya loose.:beer:

BTW tip cup is one of the cheapest things to add to a prop. Hammer, ball bearing, heat. Well maybe not so simple as that. :big grin

Since you'll probably find one in the states. Get the owner to ship to a prop shop to do the work before you receive it. Ask Roy who he would send it to that has done them for him correctly. Then ya call the prop shop let him know its on its way from who ya bought it from and give him the return address of yourself. Ask for him to put reconditioned on the way bill and you'll avoid all the nasty Canadian shipping crap, you know what I mean. USPS to Canada Post always best. Ive done this before and works great. If they can put warranty work or exchange on it even better. At any rate the value will be only what they did. 150 or so. That's legit either way.

Theres lots of great props that Im sure youll like on there, the Drag4 is one of them for sure. Especially just for lake fast running. They are really great in rough water....

James, I do all my own prop work, and have started doing prop work for others now too..

Roy

Jus' Giv'r

Hey James,
Have you ever done a post less than 1000 words.....lol....just pulling your chain. You know I always appreciate your feedback.
Ok, this is the plan. Get Roy to massge my 26Drag4 and keep an eye out for a 28ET. I still want to try an ET. I guess I will sell our trade by 29 DAH-SRX.
Caveat:
There was talk around the dinner table last night about selling the GSE and buying something bigger because of all the boat wake and chop on our lakes now. It's gotten way busier and like a bathtub every weekend with all these wakeboard boats and big cruisers. If its just a steady chop or even 2' white caps going in one direction, no problem. We just get up on top and cruise at 70+. But its all the other BIG boat wake from all directions that sucks. Do you guys think a bigger boat will solve that issue? We can slow down no problem, but I don't like slowing down. If we can ban wakeboard boats and teach crusier operators to not drag half the lake at half throttle we would be fine. Sorry, Im fustrated.

whipper

Boat more when they dont. i feel your frustration. A 20-22ft ski or wake boat will handle rough way worse than your GS. The problem is we drive at 50mph threw extreme chop. Try driving a 22ft wake boat at 40mph in the same chop. it will pound the flat bottom hard. If you drive or idle in an allisons case at most of these boats top speed of 30-35 things are very easy going. just seems so slow in our boats. But anything will be rough at over 45mph. its all relitive. If you can wait? The 23ft Grand sport 300XS will solve this delema.:big grin

whipper

oh ya your fuel bill will go from $60-80 a full day to $200-300 a day with a heavy inboard all day skiing and wake boarding. That would pay for the 23ft GS 300XS that will most likely be as fast as your 20ft 280 and sip fuel, pluss handle the bigger water.
:big grin

Its even to choppy for the skiboats out there. My buddy who has a new mastercraft bought a wave runner to board and ski behind during the day. In the early morrnings and evenings boats for the most part with the new 21fter.

because of conditions these days at some lakes you need a quiver of boats like snow skiing for differant conditions. One for calmer water one for rough. Hard to have one do it all like from waist deep powder to icy groomers.:big grin

Last edited:

fnshrmaster

A 23 to 25 foot boat with 24 degrees dead rise will fix that problem. I had a nice checkmate 251 that would eat up that boat traffic, it also ate up lots of fuel.

It's a trade off. I do miss that boat. Kurt

Jus' Giv'r

Yeah, you are both right. Bigger boat, more fuel, less speed (unless it's something bada..). And James your right, I CAN'T go slow. If I have to cruise at 30mph, I might as well swim.....lol. My son was looking at Frank Mole's 22 Talon, which is an awesome ride. But we went from a Tunnel to the GSE as I was getting bored. Now everytime I go out in the GSE, I'm learning. I must say in 4 years, I'm still not bored. Actually, it just occurred to me that I've never owned the same boat for more than 4 years.....

This is good, more info for talk at dinner tonight.

LakeAnna

Yeah, you are both right. Bigger boat, more fuel, less speed (unless it's something bada..). And James your right, I CAN'T go slow. If I have to cruise at 30mph, I might as well swim.....lol. My son was looking at Frank Mole's 22 Talon, which is an awesome ride. But we went from a Tunnel to the GSE as I was getting bored. Now everytime I go out in the GSE, I'm learning. I must say in 4 years, I'm still not bored. Actually, it just occurred to me that I've never owned the same boat for more than 4 years.....

This is good, more info for talk at dinner tonight.
That 22 that Frank Mole has is the chit my friend! Talons will stroll with the best of them. My buddy here at the Lake has a 25 that is super nasty... You know 20 years ago the GS was a pretty big boat on the lake...no more.

Jus' Giv'r

That 22 that Frank Mole has is the chit my friend! Talons will stroll with the best of them. My buddy here at the Lake has a 25 that is super nasty... You know 20 years ago the GS was a pretty big boat on the lake...no more.[/QUOTE

I agree 100%. Franks boat is sweeeet. And that 22 Talon would eat some pretty big waves.

Also, my buddy has a XB2003 and I find his rides better in the rough stuff than my GSE. I have driven both boats in the same conditions and it is a noticeable difference. Now he carries a lot more weight than me, could that be the reason?