Drag 4 or ?

Jus' Giv'r

Long time...no post, but I've been creeping around. I'm getting the itch.
So, I've been running a stock 26 Drag 4 on my GSE w/280. Great prop. Also have a 29srx by DAH. It was my fav with my 225 PM but I'm not a fan with the 280. So, I'm thinking about a 28ET or getting my Drag 4 worked. I can't afford both.
I appreciate any feedback.

Jus' Giv'r

Actually Jason and Ted both recommended at 26ET like 3 years ago, maybe I will do that.....

suicidealli

Drag 4 with A 280 is hard to beat.... A 26 is a little small, but would be quick. I have a customer with a 03 and had a 280. He ran 26 drag 4, and liked it, but really liked a 28. Also liked my 28 cut chopper. He didn't care for the ET at all. He also tried a SRX. He liked the acceleration, But said it didn't handle great in the turns...
I will give you his number if you want to talk to him...
He can't join here because of his Internet provider.

whipper

26 drag4,s for me are nothing compared to the 28 drag4,s Ive had. Night and day. The 28 isnt only faster out of the hole its also faster midrange and top end of course. Ive had half dozen or so drag 4s on my GS with a 225. I bought one 26 and hated it. Back to a 28 then thought well maybe it was just that 26 and tried the 26 rout again thinking if the 28 is so awesome the 26 would give better hole shot than the out of this world hole-shot the 28 i have did with more revs. Never happen again. i stayed with the 28,s. The very best 28 i had could carry 4 in the GS and pull a skiier with a 225pm!!! Two up and solo it was a magic carpet ride. Got me way up there in the lift dept and off she went to low 90,s like now!!

It had tip cup. from stock thats it. Another prop I never should have sold. The 28 drag3 I have now is close just not the same bite out of the hole the 4 blade had. But really great all round compared to most for my set-up and driving. I love my 28 drag3 also.

chad202

I really liked a 26ET. I also ran a dragIV. These are the only two props Ive run over the years that cracked.

LakeAnna

On my GS with a decent 260 I liked the 26 drag 3 the best... With the 225X the 28et or the Dr3 28, or 30 are the ticket. I've never tried the 4 blade and when I spoke to Tim he said the 3 was more in line with what I wanted. It will be fun to see what happens now that the flywheel and ecu are done and the bottom is blueprinted.

Jus' Giv'r

FYI...in case it matters, my 280 has 260 electronics, Brucato pcu, 1" spacer and simon alternator kit. So, its a little different from stock 280.
The holeshot and midrange with the 26 Drag4 is great, but I don't have much to compare it with. It also carries 4 adults into the 90's.
I had my mind made up on an ET and now you guys messed me up.....lol. Maybe I should try a 28 ET or 28Drag4? Do I get a stock one, or a worked one? Also, can I just get my 26 worked? If so, who does good work on the Drag4's.
If I had props around to try, I would, but unfortunately I don't.

M.ALEXIE

I'm looking for a 22p Drag 4. Where can I find one?
I have a New 26p Drag 4 Signature I would like to sell. $450 plus shipping.

procomp

They guy who bought my 280 in TO might have a 26 offshore cut prop that went with it. He'd probably sell it. I ran that style on mine I find them better then the drag 3s. Never tried a 4. Is your 280 a smallshaft or fatshaft?

Jus' Giv'r

They guy who bought my 280 in TO might have a 26 offshore cut prop that went with it. He'd probably sell it. I ran that style on mine I find them better then the drag 3s. Never tried a 4. Is your 280 a smallshaft or fatshaft?
My shaft is small...........there I said it.

whipper

You might want to try tweeking your 26 drag4 since its stock? Ive found just a little tip cup makes em hook up a whole lot better. That might be just the ticket?

Jus' Giv'r

You might want to try tweeking your 26 drag4 since its stock? Ive found just a little tip cup makes em hook up a whole lot better. That might be just the ticket?
But you and Roy convinced me of a 28 Drag4......lol. I find the 26 a light on the top end. Will a tip cup help that or is that more for hole-shot performance.

whipper

But you and Roy convinced me of a 28 Drag4......lol. I find the 26 a light on the top end. Will a tip cup help that or is that more for hole-shot performance.
:big grin 28 would be real fast on top. 100+ and quick everywere. Not drag race quick youll need a 23-24 for that but real great every were. A 27 just that much more as you go down from there of course. Ive never found this in other 28,s. Just more so with these drags. Some other 28 props were way to much pitch in comparisen. Tip cup will help it hook up better on hole shot with less cavitation. The way these carry a load like a GrandSports wieght should help. If your flighty you may want to try a differant engine hight? Mine always did well even to 1/4 below. Any lower I would have to much prop in the water and because they have so much lift you could run a 2x4 under the hull!!:big grin They run real neutral trim.

I bought a 28 off proman Jay who ran it on his ss to around 110-112. The prop was thinned and worked to take lift out of the prop. He sold it to me because he could run 115 and feel more stable with other props at those speeds. On my hull it didnt have enough lift compared to stock 28 drags. Maybe a stock 28 is for you? youll have to try one and figure out what it needs if anything. They have always run great on Grand sports. So have many of Todds props. His T4X is very very close to a drag4. I think the drag4 is a copy of Todds dicontinued T4X with a twist. I know Hydromotive was making the T4x first. :argue

At any rate its very hard to say untill you test one. I would think with your power and revs stock would work. I never noticed what your engine specs looked like till after my first post:] Tip cup might be a little to much running over 100 with a 28. Youll have to hold back on the trim or thoatle!! Thats why I said 27. Your only going to need 7900rpm to hit 100 even with a 27. The smaller the pitch the better the handeling in that 25-27 range over 90. Comming off, the bigger the wheel the easiser you have to come off. Cup on a 28 there fore might be a bit much since that adds to this effect were your speeds lie. Thats why guys like ET over 100. Not the quikest wheel in the bunch but real easy to come off speed. I would spend a couple hundred on that 26 you all ready have first. Send it to Dah and tell him what ya want and thats what youll get. The tip cup on the best 28 i had was very very little right at the very tip.

i would try tip cup on the 26 and buy a bone stock 28 and run them back to back. Sell the one you didnt like. I think the 28,s are differant dia than the 26,s if i recall?

Last edited:

suicidealli

I like the tip cup, and I like to fly the hull. The higher the boat is the less boat on the water... They carry a load awesome too. I let jay Martin barrow my 28 on his 2003, but he needs something bigger, and he didn't care for the lift either.. It isn't for everybody.
I think if you like a trophy in the 90's you will like a drag4. I think they run similar on the big end, and mid range.. The hole shot is second to none with a drag4, at least after some mods. I liked the 26 as a all around prop. After I tweaked it, it would run 2% slip from 85 and up. The 28 was around 3% or a touch over. I traded that to brund on here. He has a 03 and put a 280 on it.. He is going to like it. He ran trophies and a promax before that. I added the tip cup to my 28 before I even ran it. Lol I know the prop, and what like. I will run it in a couple of weeks with some other props I tweaked over the winter.... I like pitch, and cup with a 280. Some of my 28 cut choppers are harder to spin than 30's.

Roy

Jus' Giv'r

:big grin 28 would be real fast on top. 100+ and quick everywere. Not drag race quick youll need a 23-24 for that but real great every were. A 27 just that much more as you go down from there of course. Ive never found this in other 28,s. Just more so with these drags. Some other 28 props were way to much pitch in comparisen. Tip cup will help it hook up better on hole shot with less cavitation. The way these carry a load like a GrandSports wieght should help. If your flighty you may want to try a differant engine hight? Mine always did well even to 1/4 below. Any lower I would have to much prop in the water and because they have so much lift you could run a 2x4 under the hull!!:big grin They run real neutral trim.

I bought a 28 off proman Jay who ran it on his ss to around 110-112. The prop was thinned and worked to take lift out of the prop. He sold it to me because he could run 115 and feel more stable with other props at those speeds. On my hull it didnt have enough lift compared to stock 28 drags. Maybe a stock 28 is for you? youll have to try one and figure out what it needs if anything. They have always run great on Grand sports. So have many of Todds props. His T4X is very very close to a drag4. I think the drag4 is a copy of Todds dicontinued T4X with a twist. I know Hydromotive was making the T4x first. :argue

At any rate its very hard to say untill you test one. I would think with your power and revs stock would work. I never noticed what your engine specs looked like till after my first post:] Tip cup might be a little to much running over 100 with a 28. Youll have to hold back on the trim or thoatle!! Thats why I said 27. Your only going to need 7900rpm to hit 100 even with a 27. The smaller the pitch the better the handeling in that 25-27 range over 90. Comming off, the bigger the wheel the easiser you have to come off. Cup on a 28 there fore might be a bit much since that adds to this effect were your speeds lie. Thats why guys like ET over 100. Not the quikest wheel in the bunch but real easy to come off speed. I would spend a couple hundred on that 26 you all ready have first. Send it to Dah and tell him what ya want and thats what youll get. The tip cup on the best 28 i had was very very little right at the very tip.

i would try tip cup on the 26 and buy a bone stock 28 and run them back to back. Sell the one you didnt like. I think the 28,s are differant dia than the 26,s if i recall?
ok, you convinced me. BTW, whats your address for the invoice in case I don't like either....lol

brund

Yup and i cant wait its been a long winter looking at that 28 drag 4.I will also be going to a 14 inch set back this spring just wondering what height to start off at for all around running.

whipper

ok, you convinced me. BTW, whats your address for the invoice in case I don't like either....lol
I would consider buying a 26 with tip cup only. For me a 28 has to have tip cup also with the 225. they just feel so right the way they lift the hull up but balanced and smoooooth. Unless your buying new you have to be quick on the draw for 28 drags. Search S&F go back lots of pages in props see how fast right priced ones sell. Get used to looking at them and one comes up in that 450 or less range post them call asap and work out a deal. Snooze ya loose.:beer:

BTW tip cup is one of the cheapest things to add to a prop. Hammer, ball bearing, heat. Well maybe not so simple as that. :big grin

Since you'll probably find one in the states. Get the owner to ship to a prop shop to do the work before you receive it. Ask Roy who he would send it to that has done them for him correctly. Then ya call the prop shop let him know its on its way from who ya bought it from and give him the return address of yourself. Ask for him to put reconditioned on the way bill and you'll avoid all the nasty Canadian shipping crap, you know what I mean. USPS to Canada Post always best. Ive done this before and works great. If they can put warranty work or exchange on it even better. At any rate the value will be only what they did. 150 or so. That's legit either way.

Theres lots of great props that Im sure youll like on there, the Drag4 is one of them for sure. Especially just for lake fast running. They are really great in rough water....

Jimxb02

With the power you have I would start at 1/2" below pad and work up to maybe even when you have some seat time ( assuming you still have the lip on pad ).

Jim