Curve in skeg

fnshrmaster

The grand sport I picked up off this board has a slight curve in the skeg. The lower was done by JC, is this done because there is no torque tab on it? Never have seen this before. (Never owned an Allison before)

fnshrmaster

Just to clarify it is curved off to the side a bit(the whole skeg is curved off to on side), not bent as it hit an object.

whipper

Just to clarify it is curved off to the side a bit(the whole skeg is curved off to on side), not bent as it hit an object.
Post a pick of it. Sounds interesting never seen one like that but I think I heard of this before? If JC done it it must be good. He one of the best lower unit modifiers. Must act the same as a touque tab Im thinking. He may have thought since there wasnt a torque tab instead of welding one on bend the whole sceg to counter prop rotational pull.

Sure like to see a pic of that.

fnshrmaster

That's not my lower but the same curve on skeg. (My boats put away for the winter and is a pain in the arse to get to the rear of boat) See how it sweeps to the starboard side?

catfish123

Personally, I would stay as far away from a welded on torque tab as possible.

BGohr

Personally, I would stay as far away from a welded on torque tab as possible.
How would you attach it? Pop rivets? Who doesn't weld them on?

Yep thats the way JC and Bob does it, always liked Jerrys better, especially if he paints it mariner gray.

We used to, and stilll do, grind the whole skeg on an angle front to back, and if you're good at it you can get away without a torque tab..................look at an OMC lightning case

TBuck2003

I did one with rivets blended with epoxy and ran it for 7 yrs. No issues at all. 200 case with our nosecone.

TBuck

BGohr

I did one with rivets blended with epoxy and ran it for 7 yrs. No issues at all. 200 case with our nosecone.

TBuck
Oh yeah I used to rivet them on but they always seemed to pop loose after a while, maybe I was going faster that you Buck,,,,LOL, and it would be great if they were cast in like a sporty.......but they're not

catfish123

Thanks Neal.......apparently at least you understood my comment and I'm sticking with it. I always thought a sportmaster was a good case, and my experiences have been that it becomes something other than a good case with a welded on tab.

Last edited:

2003225X

A stock sportmaster that is sanded on correctly will handle great. If you blend the left side of the case and work it into the angle that is already there, that is all you need.

If you cut and weld an extended tab on the back it isn't a matter of if it will crack, it's when it will crack.

Someone may argue that they are faster... I am running the case Neal sanded on and it handles as well as any I've ever driven and is not any slower on the high end.

If you have a welded one, check it every time you get off the water. Look right below the bullet of the case.

fnshrmaster

So are you saying that the curve WILL eventually crack and fall off? Is it really needed? I know its there to fight torque steer but it looks very acute, I dont see how that helps with top end?

2003225X

I have heard some folks argue that a cut and welded tab will handle better, and because of that it will run faster.

I personally haven't seen a cut and welded tab run any faster than any other case.

My dad had two welded cases and both of them cracked. So now we both run cases that are not welded and have not had any issues.

He is 2 for 2 with cracking welded cases... And I'm sure will never have another one.

Do you have hydraulic steering or cables?