Counter weight?

18ftswitzer

So I finally manned up and bought 50lbs of lead shot for counter weight. My question is, what is everyone doin with the bags? What I mean is, do you just leave it like it is in the bag, or does it break or leak? I was told to put each one in a fanny pack or something. I bought 2 from walmart, but I theres gotta be something better out there? Any help would be great, thanks!

Allyfishing

these are what I bought from Bill @ Allison. Carpet turned inside out, sewn together and a heavy duty zipper with handles. Bill said to wrap up the shot bags first in plastic or in bags then just stuff them in the pouch.

I just tried to upload the pics but didn't work, if interested I can email the pics to ya.

Last edited:

whipper

Mine is just taped tight with duck tape.
I also duct taped the crap out them. Look like sausages. Also after you tape them or what ever to provent shot blow out god forbid!:gasp Stuff them as far forward in the gunnel as possable. I used to have mine just laying near the rear of the gunnel. Always in the way or they slip down under eventualy. Then Todd told me he stuffed his threw the front little hole under the glove box accesed from the bow!! What a pain doing this but I gained 1.5-2 MPH!! So theres an easy mph right there.:big grin That way there out of the way and the balance is countered even with your weight across the hull. Just do it.:big grin

jimbob88

Has anyone used those ankle weights? Plastic covered with velcro. Less chance of breaking/ leaking.
Whipper- where would this stuffing spot b on an xb03? Can't remember when I was in todds boat.

Wicky

Forgot to put my lead shot in so, I dipped my soft pack ice chest in the water and filled it up. Worked perfect!!

whipper

Has anyone used those ankle weights? Plastic covered with velcro. Less chance of breaking/ leaking.
Whipper- where would this stuffing spot b on an xb03? Can't remember when I was in todds boat.
Ankle weight would work but you would need to make up 30-45 pounds worth is all. Todds GS XS03 not xb right? In his XS/GS you cant see them. If you follow the gunnel all they way forward were it ends under the dash behind the glove box theres a small opening. You have to get under the dash and stuff them threw that hole and drop em down. Theres no were for them to go because there should be a small bulkhead there stopping them from rideing back. This worked great for me because were I had them in the gunnel before I had speeker wires. Also the counter is beside the driver not off set in the stern. Having more weight back there were the engine is only magnifies the teater toter effect that we get already with the light bow section and heavy stern. It seemed to help the boat laydown better at holeshot.

jimbob88

Thankswhipper. Think that falls into my rodlocker.?. Like the idea of it up even with me.
Has anyone used the ankle weights? Wanted to know if they hold up better than the shot bags. Anyone....

B HEBERT

Caldwell Shooting Supplies makes a shot bag that a bag of shot fits in. It is canvas and has a carry handle on each end. They are about $10 and sold at Bass Pro or Cabelas. They also started making a larger bag that holds 25 pounds of sand.

B HEBERT

Just looked it up. The larger bag holds 20 pounds of sand. You could get the bag and go to your tire store and fill it up with old wheel weights.

xb03fs

Is 50# enuff to offset a driver that weighs 230#?

Just learning,
Dave
The idea is to get you fixed weights ie batteries and chargers to get you close to balanced and where then add enough shot on the passenger side to balance you by yourself and then you can move it elsewhere when you have passengers

hirk

Once your used to driving it you may not bother with the shot.I used a bag a few times and weigh 215 but with the TM and batteries etc. balance isn't off much so I just drive it without shot,even when it's really out of balance it's no big deal to run into the 80's you just won't squeeze the last couple of mph running like that,if your not pinning it all the time the shot doesn't really matter.

whipper

Is 50# enuff to offset a driver that weighs 230#?

Just learning,
Dave
Thats what I wiegh and the weight i use but thats in a XS not XB. I only have one battery on that same side also. If you have two Batteries then subtract the differance. Accually put the Battery on a scale one day. For me I can drive with no steering input notacable at all at 90. Level as a level. No hint of chine at all. When you sit idle in the water with you in the boat she should look level also.

Allyfishing

Balance matters. I have an XB21 and even though it is a big boat ya wouldn't think that it matters much. In my early driving stages I was having trouble balancing the chine at 80 so Don (F2008) advised me to draw a line down thru the center of the boat and literally weight everything on each side

I needed 80 LBs on the port side running solo so I bought 3-25LB bags of shot and placed them on the port side and after that I was balanced and driving became easier. Very noticeable difference.