Cool Photo's!!!

GFinch

Those are great pic's . Jockey I take it the horse didn't land on you. I notice the photo finish is of the horse's nose not the jockey's.
How to ask this. humm Did the horse get put out to pasture?
Gary

GeoL

Jockey Up

Did you get off the whip before you trimed her down ???
Glad you had a good grip.
Grip is Very important you know.....
geo

Jockey Up

Hey Rocket I didn't take anything negitive in what you said, its OK.
I have alot pics, I will try to get some more up real soon. And yes I have heard of Scott Stevens, but havn't rode with him, he rides mostly out west, I can't remember if he has came to Kentucky before and riding. How do you know him?...Rocket

Well Gary, here is the story on this horse, its very sad, but the horse had to be put down, that day right there on the track. If you look closely in the first picture, you can see that the horses ankle broke clean off.
I can tell you this was a special horse to me, I will never forget him. I started breaking this horse when he was a yearling, I was the only one that was ever on his back. I done all of his training to get him to the races.
Its very sad, but this was his first race. Like I said before I will never forget him and I will always love him for the courage, heart and sacrifice this horse made for me.
Well this is how the race went, me and the horse were the longest shots in a full field of 12 horses. Breaking from the 4 hole. When the gate opened, two jumps out, they knocked him to his knees, we recover and was 15 lengths behind the field.... dead last by many.... Well I got him running again, by the time we got to the turn we had caught the field of horses and I ask him to give me what he had and he started passing horses like they were sitting still, when we turned for home, we had 3 more horse to run down, I didn't know if he could do it, but I ask him and I can tell ya that horse took me down that stretch faster than any horse I have ever ridin. in the last 1/16, we caught the last horse and right at the finish line he broke down and he hanged on to the very last step...... :cry:

Sorry for the sad story,

Jockey Up :)

Rocket

Jockey Up said:
Hey Rocket I didn't take anything negitive in what you said, its OK.
I have alot pics, I will try to get some more up real soon. And yes I have heard of Scott Stevens, but havn't rode with him, he rides mostly out west, I can't remember if he has came to Kentucky before and riding. How do you know him?...Rocket

Ok good! :D

I went to School with Both Scotty and Gary Stevens in Boise Idaho!! 8) Gary married my best friends little sister! :? I thought Scotty (maybe it was Gary) came in second in the K-Derby a few years back! :D

GFinch

Jocky, thank you for the story . I did see the ankle. Another question "They knocked him to his knees" ?

fishnfireman

GFinch said:
Jocky, thank you for the story . I did see the ankle. Another question "They knocked him to his knees" ?
Just a guess here. But you will see a lot of horses get together (rubbin is racin) Sometimes a horse will fall all the way down but sometimes they will only go to there knees.

I didn't stay at the holiday inn last night
But I did cowboy for a living until I was 33.

fishnfireman

Yes "they being the horses" . Its amazing they don't have more wrecks in a horse race than Nascar on a short track.
Most of the time there is a 115 pound jockey on a 1500 pound horse that knowns only two speeds. Wide open or stop to eat.
A lot of horses have a mind of there own and it's not always set to go straight down the track and turn left. So if one decides to turn right, odds are there is another horse trying to occupy the same spot.

But then again if the right undercover agent was to be rideing in your race, and his boss had all the money on a certain horse. Who knows there might be some extra bumping!!!!!

Jockey Up

Hey Guys glad you liked the story.....I got lots of them....LOL. I been riding race horses for 21 years, I have been around lots of people and horses over the years, so I got lots of storys.. pictures, video's..etc. But wouldn't want to bore ya'll with his stuff.

Hey Rocket, I didn't think about Scott & Gary being bothers. Now I have rode against Gary before at Churchill Downs & Keeneland. Gary is a top rider, one of the best in the business. I think GARY has won 3 Kentucky Derby. He's a Hall of Fame rider. I have talked to GARY Quiet of bit when he was around here, He's a great guy to be around. He has given me lots good advice on riding races. He is one of the riders that I look up too. My riding style is alot like Garys. If you ever see Gary, ask him if he remembers me.....Paul Satterly

Jockey Up

RedAllison

There's not much more in the world that is as graceful as a beautiful horse moving at a decent clip. Growing up in the cattle business, horses and livestock have always been around me. Sadly one of my WORST allergies is too horses so I can't get around them for very long or if it is very warm (well I can but I prefer to breath and see :cry: ). My sophomore year in high school was spent at a school at 8500ft in the Rockies just outside of Santa Fe, NM. There we had alot of big pack/work horses and spent 3-4 days a week on them including overnight trips up into the mountains. My allergies out there were not nearly as bad for some reason, even use to use the saddle blanket as a mat under my sleeping bag. That would KILL me if I tried that here in the good ol "dry" south! Man those big mountain horses were BRUTES. We also had two Belgians out there that were absolutely AMAZING in their strength and size. If I remember correctly they were considerably larger than Clydesdales. Wanna say somewhere between 2000-2500#s, that sound right? Mighta been a smidge over 2500, can't really remember as that was nearly 20 years ago.

My dad lives in Hot Springs, AR and keeps beggin me to go too the races with him. Sooner or later I am gonna break down and go over specifically for it. I have been on the track over there a couple of times, lol but it was while riding Harleys across it too the infield for concerts during the state HOG rallies.

I have always told Michelle that sooner or later we will have some land and a home on it and I SPECIFICALLY want horses running through the pastures as we slowly make it up the driveway (figure that way I wont have to mow the grass! :wink: ). My mother got into Arabians several years ago and had some absolutely BEAUTIFUL creatures. They aren't very big but their cut, grace and profile is unmistakable.

Tell some more stories Paul,
RA

Rocket

Jockey Up said:
Hey Rocket, I didn't think about Scott & Gary being bothers. Now I have rode against Gary before at Churchill Downs & Keeneland. Gary is a top rider, one of the best in the business. I think GARY has won 3 Kentucky Derby. He's a Hall of Fame rider. I have talked to GARY Quiet of bit when he was around here, He's a great guy to be around. He has given me lots good advice on riding races. He is one of the riders that I look up too. My riding style is alot like Garys. If you ever see Gary, ask him if he remembers me.....Paul Satterly

Jockey Up
That's right!!!! :? I'm getting old ya know? :oops:

Jockey Up

Yeah Rocket your telling your age,you said you went to school with Scotty & Gary.... I got out one of my Jockeys Guild Yearbooks and look at it.... Scotty is 45 and Gary is 42

Your not old......LOL

I will be 34 in Dec......20 years of wresting, fighting them wild,crazy horses and being hurt pretty bad a time or two......I am starting to feel old....LOL

Hey RA, You need to get some medicine for them allergies.....LOL just kidding....You were talking about Belgians, them some powerful horses, There are guys here that pull them in the county fairs, I seen two Belgian Mules pull 12,000lbs. sled once about six feet.... :shock: