Buying advice: XTB 21 as a first boat?

Markeee

Probationary User
Hi everyone,

A little about myself: I'm from Canada, the eastern part. I'm looking for my first boat. My goal is to fish mostly, with perhaps a way to pull a tube for my son (6 years old). So here goes:

I have a chance to buy an 1989 Allison XTB 21 with a 2001 Mercury Optimax (supposedly low hours). It has also the original motor, which was a Suzuki DT 200 Exante (working just replaced with the Optimax) and was wondering if this would be a good "first boat" - or really not a smart move on my part.

Or should I consider another boat. I have an option to get a used 1989 Ranger 350V in great condition with a 2001 Mercury Optimax 150...

I just was reading about how great of a boat this really is. It's like a 6 hour drive from my house (I have an Acura MDX to tow, with a max rating of 5000 lbs). Asking price is around $10k US. Not 100% sure on the overall condition (has a 101 lb electric motor btw).

Thanks for any help and guidance! Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to bite more than I can chew lol

Last edited:

Markeee

Probationary User
Here's my brothers very clean and will work with you on price....and transportation is not that much ..Boat is an 94 but looks like a 2016...very pretty. Very easy to drive a few times you will be running in the 80s

http://fresno.craigslist.org/boa/5683135447.html
Hey Smiley, wow, that boat is P R E T T Y..... but transportation to my location would probably be ridiculous unfortunately - I'm on the eastern part of Canada (about the same as NYC). I can't even guess at that cost? I can't deny it's making my mouth drool...

What speed does he hit with a 150 on it?

smiley88

Hey Smiley, wow, that boat is P R E T T Y..... but transportation to my location would probably be ridiculous unfortunately - I'm on the eastern part of Canada (about the same as NYC). I can't even guess at that cost? I can't deny it's making my mouth drool...

What speed does he hit with a 150 on it?
We can get transportation almost cross country in us for only around a grand...the boat is super pretty but call my brother he can give you all the numbers it's alot faster than you would think with the 2.5 150...plus you can put gas in it and run for a week love that about it...his number is on the add give him a buzz super cool easy to talk to dude...

smiley88

We can get transportation almost cross country in us for only around a grand...the boat is super pretty but call my brother he can give you all the numbers it's alot faster than you would think with the 2.5 150...plus you can put gas in it and run for a week love that about it...his number is on the add give him a buzz super cool easy to talk to dude...
No salt water we are 3 hours from ocean.. like I said we can get transportation around a thousand bucks all the way across the country we ship boats all the time...call Him he will work with you

Dark Allison

It's a great family boat. I have one in Ky if you are still looking for one. I bought a XB21 to replace it

john w

Hi everyone,

A little about myself: I'm from Canada, the eastern part. I'm looking for my first boat. My goal is to fish mostly, with perhaps a way to pull a tube for my son (6 years old). So here goes:

I have a chance to buy an 1989 Allison XTB 21 with a 2001 Mercury Optimax (supposedly low hours). It has also the original motor, which was a Suzuki DT 200 Exante (working just replaced with the Optimax) and was wondering if this would be a good "first boat" - or really not a smart move on my part.

Or should I consider another boat. I have an option to get a used 1989 Ranger 350V in great condition with a 2001 Mercury Optimax 150...

I just was reading about how great of a boat this really is. It's like a 6 hour drive from my house (I have an Acura MDX to tow, with a max rating of 5000 lbs). Asking price is around $10k US. Not 100% sure on the overall condition (has a 101 lb electric motor btw).

Thanks for any help and guidance! Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to bite more than I can chew lol[/QUOT

Don't hesitate, just buy it. Allison xtb 21 is a great boat. Fishing,skiing,tubing,or just flying around. I had a 91 with a 225 omc looper, about 75 to 80 was tops, although that motor was tired. stick with a Merc. Good luck