Bob's

J

John Richied

BP is asking FlatoutAlly some good questions here.

If you recommend someone regardless of who it is you should be able to state why with facts.

Since Cliff’s screen name “FlatoutAlly” gives the impression that he drives his Allison at high speeds I too am curious as to what Cliff’s top speed is? Before and after switching gearcases if possible.

If you send your gearcase to Bob’s be sure to tell them it’s going on an Allison, they will install the nosecone accordingly.

I have run a lot of gearcases… a 200w/Bob’s nosecone, Torquemaster/w Bob’s nosecone, CLE/Titus mods, CLE w/ Bob’s nosecone and a Sportmaster/modified. I prefer to stay away from the epoxy nosecones… in time they all crack, it’s not if it’s when.

A lot of Allison owners tried to tell me this over the years and I finally gave in a few years ago and went with the Sportmaster and that case lasted the longest without a doubt.

If you look under Allison owners, XB-2002 owners even Randy (GPI Racing) had his XB-2002 set up back then with 9” of setback and a Sportmaster gearcase running 115-117 mph!

Here is the link
http://allisonowners.com/randypierson.html

Bill Kemp

another shop worth check into is propsplus in tuscumbia, al. phone# 256-381-9031
mark evans is the owner just make sure you tell him it's for a allison

froggy

Guys,

I'm with Ziemer, Chummy and Flat Out on this one. I have a Titus/Sportmaster on my XB 2003. Believe me it took me a long time to decide to send a perfectly good Sportmaster to Titus so he could sawzall the nose off and install a different nose. I made the decision and couldn't turn back.
Well the decision seems to be OK. My gearcase runs as fast as the fastest, full size, one I own (a 200 gearcase with a perfect Bob's and perfect case). To me that's saying a lot---strength and speed. I wish it was faster, but it's not! However, it does handle a bunch better than the stock Sportmaster. It takes a set and hold it really well and it can be run higher than a Sportmaster, at a short offset, if so desired.

If you are wanting better handling, or if you need a low water pickup, I'd recommend Titus Grisham. Titus' work is great and the nose cone is ultra strong (I trimmed mine under so far it cut through my 1/8" aluminum skid plate and all that happened was the paint chipped).

Of course, If you want all out speed get an XR/4 case with Steckbauer internals: but that's not apples to apples and it's definitely not needed or wanted on a real fishing boat.

Just my $.02

froggy

ziemer

Unfortunately, it seems that some of you are the missing the point to the original question. The question was about installing a nose cone. He mentioned nothing about modifying his existing CLE or Sporty.

The whole argument over whether or not cutting off the nose of a sporty or CLE is a faster gearcase is irrelavent, take that argument somewhere else. In my opinion, especially since some of the comments about Bob's poor service recently, if you are looking for someone to install a nosecone to a stock case, I would recommend Titus.

John, you may prefer to stay away from an epoxied nosecone case, but in all reality, a coned case (200, TM, XR6, etc.) is faster than a stock sporty. I think I mentioned it before, but Bob's only spot welds their cones on, which allows for more flex in the case and in turn cracks over time. Not to say the epoxy on my case won't crack but I'm sure it will be well after a Bob's would.

On another note, it's starting to get old, all the pissing and moaning about GPI. This post and other's comments within this post had nothing to do with them. If you've had issues with GPI deal with it and move on.

K

Kevin from FL

We will say this one more time before we start removing posting privileges.

Stop the grade school crap, it will not be tolerated here. If you have a problem with someone, a dealer or are just in a pissed off mood, keep it to yourself or PM the party you are pissed with. Innuendos included in posts are not tolerated either.

We have lost many knowledgeable Allison owners from posting here because of this kind of crap and the warnings about this are over. We would also suspect that new Allison owners are a little hesitant about posting questions here because of the volatile atmosphere some of you fellow Allison owners portray when a question is asked or some of the general posts some of you have made.

If you can help a poster out with a question he or she has without insults or innuendos fine, if not, you will no longer be able to post on this board. Some posters think this is a game and have fun stirring crap here, it isn't a game or fun for the majority of the Allison owners or the others that view this board from all over the world.

Some of you may think you are doing a service to Allison owners when in fact you are hurting all Allison owners and those that wish to become an Allison owner by the posts made by you. Please think out side of the box and the overall view that others on the outside may see when you post stuff. This isn't a closed loop message board, the whole world gets to see what is going on here.

Lou and I would like to thank all of the people that made us have to post this.

XSive

ziemer said:
Unfortunately, it seems that some of you are the missing the point to the original question. The question was about installing a nose cone.
Not to be an ass or anything. Actually, he doesn't say anything about installing a nose cone. Could be skeg mods?

"alterations" is the word he used.

So with that:

If you are having a nosecone installed or any other modification done, my advice is to make sure that who ever you work with clearly understands YOUR application and what you want to accomplish. Ask what kind of recourse or changes can be done after the work is performed should you not be satisfied with the performance. Get their commitment in writing if you can. Make sure you make every effort to be on the same page.

Hopefully this will avoid some of the pitfalls that others have encountered. (not limited to gearcase work)

B

BP

Right on XSive.
I would like to add, I recently removed a Titus gearcase and replaced it with a Bobs coned 200 case w/torque tab.
Same day, same prop and engine height...I picked up 7mph with the Bobs and no discernable difference in handling either!!

My recomendation for a Bobs is based on first hand experience not a grudge

Chummy

You don't say that a coned 200 case is faster that a coned cle or sm. :roll: :roll: Boy I would have never thunk it :cry:

hack02

As to the original question---Bobs does good work, they've put a ton of cones on over the years. However, I have heard of some being faster and better handling than others. Which makes me wonder, is the same guy doing all the cases or just who ever isn't busy in the back at the time, whether he has done a bunch of cases or not. Its the consistency thing. Will you get a good case or not. I think they are in a transitional period right now, ie. new ownership or somehting like that.
I think Titus does excellent work. Hacking on sportmasters isn't the only thing he does. He's been adding cones to torquemasters and 200 cases for years going back to the JC's prop shop days. I like the way he blends the water tube into the case instead of leaving an exposed line on the side of the case. He's also been doing mods on stock sportmasters, grinding and skeg work. Some of the Stroker guys from around here have gained 2-3 mph from a little tweaking by Titus on there stock sportys, and these are 100mph guys looking for the last few mph they can get.
I guess it all comes down to who you feel comfortable with. I would call both places and ask alot of questions before making a decision.
I will side with John R. on the lightly modded sporty though, they're hard to beat. May not be the fastest but still hard to beat.

ALLISONMAN

I THINK THE problem here is that it is easier to praise how someone brags, talks on the phone, share info over the internet or is just a "cool" guy than it is to PROVE how something is really better or faster!!!! Alot of people fall into the salesman talk rather than real world facts or proof and after alot of money is spent they are no better off or worse off than when started!!!! only thing i can say is do some good research ask many different people before you spend your money!!! And remember just because someone isnt "COOL" doesnt mean that they dont know thier chit!!!!!!

ziemer

XSive said:
Not to be an ass or anything. Actually, he doesn't say anything about installing a nose cone. Could be skeg mods?

"alterations" is the word he used.
My bad, I assumed that because he asked about Bob's, and the bulk of their gearcase work is nosecones, followed up by torque tabs.

Notice how the person who originally asked the question has not responded at all??? I wonder why? :shock: :shock: I'm sure he's thoroughly confused by now. :? :? :D :D

J

John Richied

For the record… MrJr. is a new Allison owner and has a 1978 Merc 200 on the back of an XB-2002 and is looking for a low water pickup. He is currently running 6” of setback @ 2.5” below the pad with a stock 200 gearcase.

ALLISONMAN

i just had bobs do a 200 case for me and it was a perfect job!!!! i just run her a little last night it handles nicely as far as speed goes i cant say right now but it did turn a 24et 9300rpms and had no steering torque!!!!! I would also like to add most odba drag boat racers use either bobs or jc's!!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
A very knowledgable builder in the south told me and I quote:

"There is no faster case on the planet for an Allison than a Bob's."

JaySmithRacing

I would use Bob's..... I've been out of acuatually driving a race boat for some years BUT when I was in the seat and World Champion in modified production Bob's was the fastest best handling gear case mods on the planet and from what I've heard from guys on the circut now nothing has changed !

Good luck !
Jay @ JSRE

mrjr

The mods i'm looking for is a nose cone and low water pick-up. Right now my motor is way to low in the water and handels very bad. I can't bring up my engine with out the necessary low water pick-ups. I'm just trying to find a good company to do business with that also does good work. Also the engine is a 200 with a stock gearcase no bells or whistles.

Chummy

I would call Titus and talk to him and call Bobs and talk to them... then make your decision

mrjr

I think bob's maybe the way i'll go with this one. I appreciate the input cuz these boat seem really sensitive to change and a nose cone and low water pickup is a big change to me. I figured asking people that own allisons is the best way to get accurate input. :D