Better keep your 2.5

fishnfireman

I have talked to 2 Allison owners who have repowered with the new 225XS.
Both of them said they should have just kept there old mtr. They claim the extra wt is not good on the XB2003T and the hole shot is a LOT slower than with the 225Pmax or 225X. After breakin the topend is good just slower to get up and going.

jimmyb

i doubt that weight is the problem...

are you talking about the 2.5XS or the 225 pro XS????

fishnfireman

Jimmy,

Not sure as I have not kept up with the letters that much. But I believe they had 225XS on the cowl.
The owners said they had the Optimax stuff on them.
It's my understanding that is the replacement for the 225X and it might be just a tad bigger than the advertised wt.

ziemer

225XS

Supposedly, Mercury is coming out with the 225 version of the 200XS, but I didn't think they were available yet. Maybe they are??? :? :?

Yellowallison

Freind of mine bought a new Bullet with the 2.5 XS on the 3.0 midsection...

Its a dog...!!! with a capital D!

He hates it...

I told him he should have bought a Suzuki or Yammy or ETEC since Mercury is going down the chiiter!!

Yall check this out!~~~~~~ ran by yesterday by uncles dealership to grap a O-ring for my fuel pump canister on the PM300... Yall sit down for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dealer cost on a freakin .20 cents O-ring was 25.00 dollars.. and this is for part that every EFI motor in tha world has on it.. ! :cry: :cry:

Yep.. thaz why Mercury sucks and is going down the chiiter.. and to think one of the first words I ever said as a baby was Mercury Motor not Momma- Daddy!

And again.. I say... Thats why I'm racing an OMC!

GrandLakeGAR

2.5XS

When I was looking for a new 225X to replace my 280, Puckett said come on down and get the 2.5XS. "It will run circles around a ProMax or 225X". Of course he was out of X motors by then. What is the actual weight, Merc says 450 but the Jan. B&WE test got 503 which is about the same as the 3.0 250XS and 225ProXS? I had a "new" 225X shipped in but it was a LITTLE less than advertised so I sent it back. Guess I just waited too long, anyone got a 225X they want to trade??? GAR

catchmybomb

Yellowallison, do you know how an extra 125lbs. would be on a grand sport or the bass boat version. I would agree with you on running Bombardier's Evinrude Etec HO on Allisons if the weight isn't an issue. This motor blows every new motor by Merc and others in every category.
Emissions, hole shot , noise level and Quality!

J

John Richied

OMC and racing in the same sentence just ain’t right… LOL :p
Yeller has some trophies for showin up at a race one time… No one believed it was a real race so he won by default.... the only one there makes it EASY to win... hehehe

jimmyb

catch my bomb... i will take you to task on your BRP claims... have you seen the latest bass and walleye boat shoot out with the 225 pro XS?

225 proxs was the fastest (by far) and most fuel efficient... and it was with 1 sec of acceleration times even though it was running a 1.62 gear ratio and everyone else was running 1.85ish

XB21er

Yeah,

Bomb showed up at the B&WB shootout with their new gearcase and it couldn't handle the Bullet propshaft heights- heated up, loose bearing carrier, leaked oil, melted hub. Good quality.

Yellowallison

YO JIMMY SUE!

I hear OMC is hiring - yu better RUN now ! - T ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yea I hear everyday boat motor horror stories everyday.. its either somebodies Yammy parts have been on order for weeks.. or I got nuther buddy who got a new 225 ETEC and 2 different dealers have treid to fix a midrange surge..... with no luck :(

Like FORD's and CHEVY's....... All good till they BREAK!

GET RDUN!!!

catchmybomb

Has anyone heard of guys using a 225ETEC with a MERC bottom drilled out for a 1" shaft? Anyone seen the video with the BRP, Merc Verado, and Yamaha. Bomb smokes them.

Mercfan

Etec

Hey bomb! What you been smokin? You have to compare apples to apples and that's what happened in the test Bass and Walleye did. Every one had plenty of time to get their motor ready and the Merc flat out smoked the Etec and had more gas left in the tank when they were through. The etec is a decent motor but it has less warranty and cost more than the other two so take that crack your smokin and deal it to someone else!

jimmyb

as far as the BRP video... gimme a break! give me control of a drag boat race, and I can make whoever I want to win, win! simple matter of proping...

D

DarthVMAX

I remember a few years back when I was spoutin about the results of the 250 (EFI) Shoot-out (remember? the VMAX won :p) ....everybody here on the good ol Allison site told me that B&WB can't be trusted and that it all has to do with the winner being the one who has the most ads.........MY HOW THINGS CHANGE :roll:

KUDOS to Merc and that wonderful Sporty Master L/U...no one has an aswer for that, BUT.... I still say that if this was held on a normal everyday bassboat (ie Ranger, Stratos, Champion etc.) the ETEC HO would have taken it :p

My.02

Yellowallison

YO YAMMY to the MAX!

remember a few years back when I was spoutin about the results of the 250 (EFI) Shoot-out (remember? the VMAX won ) ....everybody here on the good ol Allison site told me that B&WB can't be trusted and that it all has to do with the winner being the one who has the most ads.........MY HOW THINGS CHANGE

Yu know I right along with ya bout that deal....

It all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$...

But since I stir'd up nuff B&W /JWTjer stuff in the past I thought I let that dog lie - this time!!!!!!!!!

Aint we all still waitin on that 101MPH 2003/stock PM to show up soemwhere!!!! - NUFF said there....

nuther thingy is I won't get started about how 90% the test in B&Walleye are done with a BULLETT ... Whathe heck does that magazine got to do with a daggum Walleye anyway- 'What is WALLEYE?? :?:

I've always thought that Mag should it be called Bass & BULLETT... :D :D

all goes back to the $$$$$$$ thingy again...

GET R DUNNNNNNNNNNN

Mercfan

Etec

Yellow, you are right about any test, BUT, The Yamaha, Merc, and Bomb techs were there. I personally no someone who has the new Etec and he likes it but now wishes he would have saved about 5 Grand and bought the Merc. He bought the Etec on the promise that it would outperform the Merc as his dealer said all the way around and it simply doesn't. Bombbarwhatever has spent tons of advertising dollars on this motor and has misled the public in all there little 30 minute informercials. They take two stokes and pit them against the four stroke because they can't measure up of against a comparable merc motor. (never have and never will)

Yellowallison

The other day.....

I asked a HP Dealer buddy of mine what he was selling 2005 280's for.. he said 16K.. I said OK!

then I asked nutehr buddy what he paid for his ETEC 225 HO.. he said 16K.. I said DAMM SON! yu could have bought a 280 for that price... and have 100 pounds less on the transom..... and stronger GC with the SM..

Worst Mistake mercury is making IMO.. is discontinue the 280!

280 is a darn good out of the box motor... every day good running HP motor...

wish i had the $$$ I buy 5-6 and put in a the corner of my shop for the future...

Was over at my uncles Mercury dealer shop at lunch.. he had VERADO torn down the clamp bracket..... my GOsH all the wrires and hoses and CHIT on one motor....... If I had Verado and blew up.. Think it better to just report it stolen :mrgreen:

J

John Richied

Yeller, maybe you missed the post but there was one about the famous “101MPH 2003/stock PM” that said the 225 was a ringer ands the gearcase was a modified Titus if I remember right… Anyway the post basically said that A LOT of information was left out of the article.

Here on the Columbia and Snake River we have: Walleye, Salmon, Steelhead, Sturgeon, Bass, and other fishies but the only ones I race is the Bass, cause I got a Bass boat… LOL