Best Rough Water Perf Boat up to 24'

Lotus 50

On S&F, Lightspeed has a 24 Skater with 2 X 2.5 that looks very good in pictures - $38K
I don't think it would be boring.

Closer to home, there's a 22 Talon with a 250 Yamaha at Performance Recreation, $32K

I just park the boat after lunch myself.

njj502

24 skater would be fun if it has twins. Either hot 2.5's or a couple of short shaft'd 300xs' ....

whipper

And a 21 Skater with twin drags would be even funner.:beer: It would take a tunnel with twins in this class of boat 21-24 with some freeboard to match or get close to the performance you have now. Even twins it will be hard to match a stout hopped up 280/260 electronics GS!! You are at 104-106 in a hurry with seat time. I would just keep the GS forever and buy two nice jetskis. there a ton of fun when its rough or calm and great for exploring. You can pull a Wake boarder or skiing with ease and the four stoke ones are great on fuel. Easy storage and maintenance.

You have the Ultimate family weapon all ready. The difference in ride compared to what you have right now isnt going to be worth it unless you go over 24. After noon as Lotas says take the jet skis out for a romp and do some exploring. The kids LOVE jetskis. For 10 or less you can get a last years top of the line model that does 60+ in 3-4 sec and can handle Hawaii surf size waves!!:cool

Jus' Giv'r

On S&F, Lightspeed has a 24 Skater with 2 X 2.5 that looks very good in pictures - $38K

Closer to home, there's a 22 Talon with a 250 Yamaha at Performance Recreation, $32K

We saw the Skater. That Talon is very nice too.
However, I'm thinking along Whipper's idea. A couple of Sea Doo's to compliment the GS. Afterall the performance and fun factor with my GS set-up is hard to beat.
I just never pictured myself as a PWC owner.....

ROBERT CROSS

Back in the day....we won't go into which day, this is what was filling my dreams....
21' Lindner Challenger.

Then along came the intro to Allison at the 1978 Thunder on the Ohio...

And I end up here all these years later....:cool:

Bob
:beer:

aaronmt

There is no way in the world id touch lightspeeds 24 skater on SNF.Those tanks have not been done.The hull has essentialy very little value once you add 15k to the price of doing the tanks.Skaters prices have plummented with the tank issue.Ever hull either has a issue or is on its way to haveing issues.I know of several local guys that have had problems.

Last edited:

Jus' Giv'r

I just learned of the whole tank issue with Skaters recently. What other boats used the same type of tank construction that is/was affected by ethanol?

njj502

Yeah why 15K? Do you have to cut the boat up to get the tanks out?

I'm sure any tank will deteriorate after time unless it's stainless/aluminum....

ziemer

There is no way in the world id touch lightspeeds 24 skater on SNF.Those tanks have not been done.The hull has essentialy very little value once you add 15k to the price of doing the tanks.Skaters prices have plummented with the tank issue.Ever hull either has a issue or is on its way to haveing issues.I know of several local guys that have had problems.
I've yet to hear a problem with the 24's.

Plus, John knows what he's doing when it comes to rigging up boats and I doubt he'd spent that kind of money on a total re-rig if the tanks were an issue. At $36k, it's a steal. :beer:

I think if anything is a deterent on that boat, it's the 280's not the tanks. A pair of steel bore ProMaxes would be great on that boat with great reliability and 100's of hours between re-builds. 300's would be fun too, but the setup changes greatly.

The values of the 2.5 HiPo stuff has dropped a bunch in the last 2-3 years. Not too long ago, a nice 280 powerhead was $8k, and a 260 was $5k+. Now you can buy 280's for $5k and 260's for much less.

Just G'ver, an SOB would probably be your best bet, and with a nice 300XS, you could easily get one in the mid 80's (or better) and not lose a bunch of storage like you would with a Skater or Talon.

propmanjay

It is't the speed thats boaring, my 21' Cougar will run 105. You don't have to give any driver input at speed. I can take both hands off the wheel at speed. Try that in an SS or GS at 105. 21' and 24' Skaters tend to hop at low speeds however good they are at speed. The 280 on my Cougar used right at double the fuel my 300xs does. I don't even want to think about feeding two of the the 280s.

Lotus 50

We can get ethanol free premium in Ontario.

From what I read on S&F, Skater used the inside of the hull as part of the tank and the ethanol attacks the hull itself.

A 280 for $5K? Not where I'm looking. I don't want a 280, but I guess if it were possible to buy a nice 280 for 5 large I would.

Jus' Giv'r

I'm also attached to my GS more than any other boat I've owned. Which makes the switch that much harder. I'm definitely into a lot more money to get something bigger with my performance and fun factor. If I could do it, and pretty sure I can't, a Tuff 21 with a 300XS would do the trick nicely I think. You just don't see too many of those used.....what would one of those expect to sell for?
Also has anyone had the opportunity to ride or drive one?

Last edited:

Lotus 50

I drove a Tuff the first year I had my SS2000. Thanks Mark if you ever read this. The Tuff was way easier to drive into the 70s than my SS but you still had to drive. It took cruiser wakes much better than my SS.

Getting my boating done in the morning works for me.