Best Rough Water Perf Boat up to 24'

Jus' Giv'r

Ok, I'm in a bit of a dilema. On another thread I have stated that my GSE is the best boat I have ever owned. And as many of us on here, I have owned quite a few boats in my 50 years of existence on this planet.
But, our lakes are becoming busier with wakeboard boats and cruisers causing the bathtub affect on most days. 2' chop or whitecaps in one direction caused from wind is no issue. We get up on top and cruise at 70. However, large wakes from these wakeboard boats in all directions or cruisers running half throttle and trying to pull half of the lake with them are becoming an issue.
Whipper says just slow down...:LMAO::LMAO: Just because I'm 50, doesn't mean I'm mature. And I dont want to boat when others are not out as thats no fun either. I can't be the only one is this boat....(sorry, couldn't resist)

So, what other 20 to 24 performace boat is better in these conditions than the GSE. I will admit, I really like the 22 Talon, but I did get bored with my last tunnel. I would also like to stick with a single Outboard.

fnshrmaster

If money is no object, I would go with a Progression 22(or a tuff) with a 300xs. A 90 mph rough water boat that would sip fuel. There is a nice one on S&F. Very nice looking rig, runs high 80s to 90ish if I remember.

Good luck, boat shopping is a blast.

Jus' Giv'r

If money is no object, I would go with a Progression 22(or a tuff) with a 300xs. A 90 mph rough water boat that would sip fuel. There is a nice one on S&F. Very nice looking rig, runs high 80s to 90ish if I remember.

Good luck, boat shopping is a blast.
The Tuff's are sick. and yes, price is an object! So, maybe I should say 30k tops, but to be honest, I don't want to shop. I love my GSE, can't afford 2 expensive boats which means I would have to sell. It is others sitting around the table at home that are starting this, so I was hoping someone was going to say, 'bro, nothing else is better, stick with what you got.'.....lol.

As a matter of fact, I'm currently prop shopping for the GSE....it just means if for some reason I do sell, someone gets an extra prop.

Last edited:

mikesufka

I've been there. Unfortunately, comfort won and I sold my Grandsport. Just got sick of getting the $uck beat out of me (private joke). Anyway, went to a larger tunnel - first a 26 foot American Offshore and then a 30 foot Spectre.

I love Allison, don't get me wrong, but it was just the wrong boat for the job.

MDS

RedAllison

JG have you ridden in any of the 21s yet? If not then get a ride in one and the decision will probably be made for you! Yes as good as the GS is, the 21 is THAT MUCH BETTER!!!

It's obvious why the biggest sellers are getting bigger every year, most lakes today are IN-UNDATED with people and if you want some comfort that means you'll likely be getting rid of that 17-20ftr of yesteryear. 15-20 years ago a 19ft basser was MORE than enough for most lakes save for stormy seas. Now days a life threatening chop is a given during "peak season weekends" from all the DUMB mASSES in everything from a 14ft jonboat to 100ft+ megacruisers. A 21 ProSport/SUB with a 250-300XS would make a GREAT, comfortable, rough water, hi-perf substitute for your GS. :cool

I run a simple 22' 8.5ft beam aluminum deckboat with a 150 Brude for "family duty" on busy, summertime water. If I had my choice tho??? (Understanding I'd STILL keep my 21 basser inda garage for "me time") How married to a 24' max are you? I'd have to say a boat I'd likely get and have been interested in for years is the 26' Howard openbow cat with the Mercruiser 525 power choice (502ci). http://www.howardboats.com/boat_specs/26_cat_open_bow/26_cat_open_bow.html An honest 80mph, room for everyone and everything, get up on top and stroll over most wakes/chop/slop. If you want to run well over 100 that is very easy, just shell out the MEGACHEE$E for some $ERIOU$ hor$epower and the 26 Howard will do it with ease! :cool:

BUT then to, I'd hate for you to $pend big buck$ this year buying a new, bigger xyzpdq...whatever ONLY to see next year (or ???) Darris release the MUCH antipated 23-24ft GS! That things GONNA rock and roll over pretty much any kind of water you're likely to encounter on most summertime, freshwater lakes! :at the bar

LOL NEVERMIND JG!!! While I was posting this you put your "$30K" limit post up. There goes THAT idea about the Howard, AINT happenin! That's all the more beauty about the Allison's, when you combine "garageability", easy towing, great fuel mileage, unmatched construction, resell, outstanding quality, they just get even THAT much tougher to beat!

Last edited:

Jus' Giv'r

JG have you ridden in any of the 21s yet? If not then get a ride in one and the decision will probably be made for you! Yes as good as the GS is, the 21 is THAT MUCH BETTER!!!

It's obvious why the biggest sellers are getting bigger every year, most lakes today are IN-UNDATED with people and if you want some comfort that means you'll likely be getting rid of that 17-20ftr of yesteryear. 15-20 years ago a 19ft basser was MORE than enough for most lakes save for stormy seas. Now days a life threatening chop is a given during "peak season weekends" from all the DUMB mASSES in everything from a 14ft jonboat to 100ft+ megacruisers. A 21 ProSport/SUB with a 250-300XS would make a GREAT, comfortable, rough water, hi-perf substitute for your GS. :cool

I run a simple 22' 8.5ft beam aluminum deckboat with a 150 Brude for "family duty" on busy, summertime water. If I had my choice tho??? (Understanding I'd STILL keep my 21 basser inda garage for "me time") How married to a 24' max are you? I'd have to say a boat I'd likely get and have been interested in for years is the 26' Howard openbow cat with the Mercruiser 525 power choice (502ci). http://www.howardboats.com/boat_specs/26_cat_open_bow/26_cat_open_bow.html An honest 80mph, room for everyone and everything, get up on top and stroll over most wakes/chop/slop. If you want to run well over 100 that is very easy, just shell out the MEGACHEE$E for some $ERIOU$ hor$epower and the 26 Howard will do it with ease! :cool:

BUT then to, I'd hate for you to $pend big buck$ this year buying a new, bigger xyzpdq...whatever ONLY to see next year (or ???) Darris release the MUCH antipated 23-24ft GS! That things GONNA rock and roll over pretty much any kind of water you're likely to encounter on most summertime, freshwater lakes! :at the bar

LOL NEVERMIND JG!!! While I was posting this you put your "$30K" limit post up. There goes THAT idea about the Howard, AINT happenin! That's all the more beauty about the Allison's, when you combine "garageability", easy towing, great fuel mileage, unmatched construction, resell, outstanding quality, they just get even THAT much tougher to beat!
Although I may not be able to afford the Howard (just don't want to go in debt), I could probably get a used 22 Progression, Superboat or Velocity in that price range or a little more. There is a really sweet Maelstrom I saw too. I just don't know if doing 75mph in any of the above is enough after you used to 90+. I think in order for me to change, I gotta do 80+. Does that sound childish?

propmanjay

My 21' Cougar get's over the water pretty good. With a 300xs it runs over a 100 with a conservitive set up. But after my SSr and XR2001 it is very boaring!!!!!!!!!!

Darth VMAX

By the time the big grandsport comes out, it will be near 100K rigged and out the door. So, I would say its a "Howard" as well...

catfish123

Although I'm sure the 21 foot Allisons are better than an XB2003, people owning them would be doing the same thing I do on the lake where I boat. That would be, on any weekend during the boating season, they would be cautiously, at a very slow rate of speed, be working their way back to the boat ramp by 10AM in order to get their boat off the lake while both it and they were still in 1 piece. :beer:

If you have a 21 footer and want to experience this............BRING IT!!!!

LakeAnna

Although I'm sure the 21 foot Allisons are better than an XB2003, people owning them would be doing the same thing I do on the lake where I boat. That would be, on any weekend during the boating season, they would be cautiously, at a very slow rate of speed, be working their way back to the boat ramp by 10AM in order to get their boat off the lake while both it and they were still in 1 piece. :beer:

If you have a 21 footer and want to experience this............BRING IT!!!!
Yeah, 20-21 footer doesn't matter much when there are 3 foot rollers and cross wakes everywhere.... not to mention 10X the boat traffic a given area can handle.

whipper

24ft skater 300XS 30 or less with gas tank done.
OR 21ft Skater or Trick with a 300xs for tunnels. 22Progrestion 300xs or 23ft Checkmate 300xs. What ever she is must have 300xs:]

Darth VMAX

24ft skater 300XS 30 or less with gas tank done.. What ever she is must have 300xs:][/QUOTE]

Why? I am sure in the used market and in this price you can find rigs with a 300x. No 300xs will run with an x unless its a fuel milage race LOL

fnshrmaster

Why? I am sure in the used market and in this price you can find rigs with a 300x. No 300xs will run with an x unless its a fuel milage race LOL
I have to agree. I was going to buy a Apache Scout with a 300x, that motor was a beast. Was not sure about the hull so I passed.

propmanjay

Put a DBR chip in your 300xs and it will give you the best of both worlds. It gives more mid range and a 7000 limiter. They run with and X useing 1/2 the fuel.