Best cost efficient way for a used boat buyer to safely get a 21 ft on trailer Allison delivered from Tennessee to Utah ???

G Allen

Hi, this is the only part that I don't know what to do. How would you go about it and how much as a ball park figure should I expect to pay? My hometown (Heber) is similar in distance to anywhere in TN as Salt Lake City. I have never bought a used boat out of state before. Looking for some good solutions. Drooooooo-ling over Allisons and Bullets...seeing some saweeeeet rigs! My tow rig is getting close to 300k miles, would rather not subject it to that kind of long distance towing... Jonesing so bad that my wallet is starting to smoke. Haaah!

dubmoney

I purchased mine in Illinois and had it shipped to me in Washington State. I placed an ad on Uship and received several names of People that wanted the job. I don't remember, but I don't think I contracted directly with Uship. I found a guy who provided me with references, that made me feel comfortable towing my new baby across the United States. I ended up paying $1500.00 I originally wanted to have him put the boat and trailer on a Trailer, but that does cost quite a bit more. There is a guy on Scream and fly that makes his living transporting boats. Frank Mole is his name I believe. I recently saw that he was headed to California with an empty hitch. I did talk to him and he wasn't exactly cheap.

I purchased my boat from Roy, and he is one of the good ones. he took the boat about 60 miles to a marina he knew would do a good job shrink wrapping the boat before it took its journey.

G Allen

Dubmoney, you are beyond faithful! Wow! Thanks for looking after me! Again! Might have a bit of good news soon...

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had mine shipped from Virginia to Washington back in 2009 and it cost around 1500. Came on a semi trailer and the guy picked up and dropped off stuff on his way cross country, took about a week to get there. I called frank mole at the time and he was about twice that, and he would've pulled it behind his rig, not on a trailer. Company was National Transport, llc. I had great luck it a friend had issues. This was quite a wHile ago though.

JWolff

I also went through Uship from Virginia to WA State. Around $2200 for approx. 2700 miles. The bigger concern for me was insuring the boat was as good as stated by owner. Most Allison owners are awesome but you want a neutral party looking it over just in case.

resqu-u

I hands down agree with SLOmofo! Frank Mole is the best in the business of moving our beloved boats. He is beyond a stand up guy and will take great care of you every step of the way including calling you to warn you if the boat is junk.

G Allen

Now I get to git 'er done. Pulled the trigger yesterday. Mine will be the first Allison I have ever seen in person when it gets here. What is faith?

G Allen

Michael West's '89 xtb21/150 Merc. Was on the Allison buy/sell page on FB for three or four days before I grew a pair and finally swooped on it. It's a fast pass regular, owner and boat. Leaving for a 3000+ mile round trip drive within the next 48 hours to pick it up and tow it back to Utah.

My rust bucket ski bum truck, "Rufus" is EASILY the most butt ugly tow vehicle in this entire forum's history, EVER! Will definitely be the beauty and the beast going down the road. The dichotomy in appearance is gonna be hilarious. I am likely going to be pulled over by the cops for looking like a felon transporting stolen property across state lines! Will carry a handwritten bill of sale to keep out of jail...

Michael practically gifted me with the price he asked. I can't understand why someone did not snap it up first thing the first day it came up. There are three or four xtb's for sale on FB right now, and I got the cherry. He is a member of this forum, keeps a low profile. He shared some pics from fast pass of some of the boats sitting in the water, and beached. My ancestors fought for the south. Dug seeing the confederate flag proudly displayed on a few of the boats. Also noticed quite a few of them in the pics sitting pretty ass heavy in the water from the weight of their monster powerplants. Bet DA was not 100% amused.

SERIOUS props to Dubmoney for taking the time to answer all the newbie questions I PM'ed to him. If there is a special newbie mentor award, he earned it in spades. Also got timely help from Dave Hensley. He saved me from buying the wrong boat and motor for what I want to do.

I am freakin' luuuucky! Now I get to learn how to drive it. Never drove an Allison.

Anyone got a spare pair of Depends?

Last edited:

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great! The only advice I can think of for a trip like that would be to check the date on the tires, even if they look new. If they are more than 3 or 4 years old I would either get a couple new ones put on around Memphis or make sure you have a couple spares along with a jack and lug wrench. I know how far it can be between tire stores once you head west. :)
Jack it up and spin the wheels before you leave just to make sure you don't hear any bearing noise. I know he is good on maintenance but it would be prudent do to the miles you will be putting on it.

G Allen

Rufus has a new set of all terrain tires and travels with a floor jack in the back. The stock unit died a couple decades ago...Five minutes of prevention for the trailer prevents ten hours of cure...Thanks for the reminder!

dubmoney

I would imagine that the seller may have a grease gun, don't know if it has bearing buddies, but even if it doesn't, its not hard to pop the caps off and pack a little grease. One other thing happened recently, the tires were good put the valve stems were rotten, might just take a peek at those and see if they are suspect. Check the spare, like suggested above, good possibility you will need it to get to the next spot to get another ready. What prop or props can you get with the deal. At your Altitude it would be a bummer if you got home and realized you have a super tall prop. Probably not likely with the 2:1 gears, but since your are going to be in the mother land, might want to shop for that 24P Hydromotive 4OT everyone says its the cats meow. Sure, a chopper, ET, SRX, all are on the approved Allison list, but I think you will want a four blade to start out, and make you feel like a champ with the shortest seat time. Other 4 blade options would be , bblade blaster, or maybe a Trophy although my boat didn't like it, there are several on here that run them.

SLOmofo

Ditto on the tires and stems. On the way to the WAR18 had a blow out on the inboard RR tire. Long story short got to Shasta Lake late the next evening. Make sure the lug wrench will fit ALL the lug nuts.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually I was talking about TRAILER tires. I presumed the tow vehicle was ready to go. Trailer tires die with age, even if there are no miles on them. If you have 2 old trailer tires on the ground and 1 spare you will have no spare if just one of them lets go. With the higher speed limits in the west you need the best trailer tires you can get. My son and I are both running the new Goodyear Endurance, it is mad in AMERICA! Speed rated for 87mph and so far they seem to be the best tires I have had in 40+ years.

G Allen

Great! The seller has greased the bearings and checked the tire pressures already. Got a note an hour ago saying that the check that was in the mail has been deposited, and that I am the proud new owner of an Allison!

Yaaaaaaaaaay! Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Gonna give those stems a tweak, not gonna full on try to break them, but a bit o' loogie spit on 'em will display bubbles from leaking air. Gonna jack up the trailer tires and give 'em a spin and listen for bearing grind. Rufus has a new set of four all terrain tires with a half inch deep on the treads, all four corners. Taking an electric inflator JIC.

Thanks to all of you again!

G Allen

Regarding high speeds in the west...Yup. driving interstate 15 between Heber and Vegas there is a good 400+ miles with an 80mph speed limit. Rufus has a 3.73 rear end, and towing in overdrive will kill that tranny for sure. Fastest I'll take that motor for towing is 3200 rpm at 75 in fourth gear. In 5th gear, the OD uses a set of gears on another shaft, that shaft's bearings will die towing at high speed or climbing long grades without downshifting as well. Voice of experience, that truck is on it's 3rd starter, 4th alternator, and 3rd, rebuilt tranny on the original motor, well over a quarter million miles on that 5.7 vortec v8. Checked tranny fluid, was changed recently and very little fuzz on the magnet when I pulled it yesterday. Just need to get out my Chilton's and remember how to check the fluid in the 4wd transfer case.

Will stay in the slipstream of semis two seconds back, even if buffeted a little bit will be pushing against the air less. Won't get closer, I know they hate that. Often when passed and I flash my headlamps to let them back in, often they will stay out and merge back in a way longer distance in front, that is their way of signaling and displaying their preferred following distance. I don't get tight in the rocking chair between two trucks like another of their rigs might, that is considered rude rookie behavior. I now have an Allison, don't get to be "Bayliner Bob" any more on the road or on the water.