Best cost efficient way for a used boat buyer to safely get a 21 ft on trailer Allison delivered from Tennessee to Utah ???

SLOmofo

In my haste to post before lunch I forgot to say the tires on the RV were only a couple of years old and only had a couple thousand miles on them if that. I had two blow out couple of years before returning from the WAR. Now I make it a point to drive at least few miles every month to exercise them.

G Allen

Hearing the cautions to check out the age of the tires... It was easy to find on my present boat's trailer tires, but I was initially baffled with I went to read the date codes on my less than 6 month old newies on my tow vehicle. So I did some studying and learned something. This is going to help me to know if I need to buy three tires for my new to me boat trailer...and maybe it might help one of you when you buy a non locally accessed boat.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi8fdBRCVARIsAEkDvnIcvD9wOjbKCD-XHyiD-50FVQRYpG9z-R36cIIswcRvT0awf0ua7HEaAg0HEALw_wcB&techid=11&affiliate=HM5&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!289460770302!b!!s!!&ef_id=WIQXUQAAASnJdWFA:20181002001639:s

If this helps someone than I finally made some sort of contribution here.

G Allen

Was delayed taking off this morning, fought a war and won to get the bolt off to check fluid level in transfer case. Just changed motor oil, that was easy in comparison. Driving through the remnants of Hurricane Rosa. Would appreciate some prayers for traveling mercy...In God I trust.

G Allen

Just got home with that XTB after a 1600 mile drive...Now it's gonna be my turn to drive that one! Or actually let it teach me! Gonna be like going on a date with that hot lookin' 6 foot hard body Karate instructor chick. One wrong move gonna get me man slapped!

SuperTim

I guess I'm a little late. I am thinking of selling my XB2003T (boat/trailer), and I am afraid my offers are going to come from the east coast (I wouldn't mind driving 1/2 way to anyplace out west). I could have had G Allen drag this one out there and bring his back. I have it shrink wrapped and ready to ship, but I may need to pull off the wrap to do a virtual walk around with any prospective buyers. I was thinking FaceTime or Skype.

Anyone done a virtual inspection? Did you see what you needed? Any advice?

I have lots of photos of the boat and any imperfections, but I want the buyer to be fully happy with any purchase (when I get the final push to list it.....).
IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0081.JPGIMG_0096.JPGIMG_0260.JPGIMG_1171.JPG

G Allen

All good, I like your pics. Reminds me of what I would see on eBay in a good way. If I were in your shoes, I'd put on some old clothes and crawl under it, a couple pics of the bottom featuring the aft third of the pad and surrounding area would help as well as one displaying the "Lip."

Then I'd figure out how to put a replacement motor, a modern up to date fish finder and troll motor with spot lock and KEEP it, unless age and health is a factor.

SuperTim

Good call on the belly pics (assuming my belly will fit under her!). I did my bout with cancer 3 years ago, doing well, so I am mixed on selling her (too many hobbies).

I do have the original mariner supermag 225 but it needs a crank, one rod, one piston, a fresh hone and a set of reeds. I rounded up new reed cages and a set of heads, so I am part way there. I've built a few old broncos and a few drag cars for a friend, but this was my first trip into two stroke land. I considered shipping it to JSRE for a rebuild. I also talked to Darris Allison about a Opti ProXS 175 and using my sportsmaster gear case.

I like your idea of repower, modern fish finders and spot lock trolling motor........but you left out the stereo upgrade (also have sitting in boxes).

How are you liking your boat so far? Controlling the chine walk? Did you figure out what pitch prop to run on Jordanel/ Deer Creek/ Flaming Gorge?

I pushed mine into the mid 80's at lake Powell, and realized I was in over my head and didn't go faster (that combo of boat/motor is pure naked power, like riding a bull I'd assume). Just takes seat time.

I am also considering converting her to full electric. Depending on how much range I wanted, I know I could be lighter than a fully fueled original. I just don't know enough yet about electrical safety on water......

I appreciate the feedback.

G Allen

I still need to get better at driving mine. But that requires a bit more experimentation with the lateral balance via ballast in the port side rod locker. Mine has the drivers console way to the side, yours is going to be easier to balance. I'm happy cruising at 50, no problems and no strain on the motor. Will get to go to driving school in May at the WAR 2019 get together at Lake Shasta. There are a few of the trip digit pilots that are going to be there.

Speaking of motor, you'll spend more $$ to have JSRE do it, but you will have something that should hold together well if you have him do it. Get the "nice" parts. Having a sport master is a good thing. Good to stick with the Pro Max 225 thang, it weighs a fair amount less than the Optis do. Run premix...the oil pump drive gear is plastic. I use Blue Marble oil and Yamaha ring free fuel additive. As far as props go, I only have one that works now, because the sporty that I found for it, used, had a fat prop shaft. One of my props can't be rehubbed, it's a 26 pitch Trophy 4 blade. It was perfect for the home lakes, but now needs to be sold. The prop that I have left that I was able to get a fat hub for is a over/under hub 4 blade Hydromotive, also 26 pitch. It is just about right for the motor rpm range for Jordanelle/DC/Gorge. That prop does not have much cup on the ends of the blade compared to the trophy. I think something that can give a tad more bow lift will be better because the Ultrex troller weighs a fair amount more than the earlier model bow mount motor. I love that Ultrex, worth the big $$ for sure. I use a Hummingbird Helix 10, got the upgraded hi definition 'ducer for the motor and also the 360 'ducer for the Ultrex as well. The screen has more resolution than the 9 inch and I can see the screen anywhere in the boat. There is an old Hummingbird already mounted to the side of the console that I use for the GPS speed readout and slow on plane fish scanning. I saved a bit on the troll motor by getting a reconditioned one from eBay.

Last summer's project was to get on the Kokanees, I learned that one pretty well, without using down riggers. I am the first guy to rig cannon digi-troll downriggers in the front gunwales on an Ally, this summer's projects are to troll for the Kokanee and landlocked Kings with the riggers and also get on the daddy Macks at the Gorge. If I can boat a 20 pound Mack I would be satisfied. The spot lock should make that a lot easier to sit on top of them 80-120 feet down and jig for them. I had Roberson's Marine in SLC do the work for me on the repower and electronics installation, good work, good crew.