battery location in XR

FlatOutAlly

Sorry to hear that, Lou. Bear in mind, though, that Bill's RiverRocket is not standard by any means. Not just REALLY light, but actually a bit different bottom-wise. I've seen this boat run 135+ right at me sitting in mine. I was nearly on the floor under the console.

Casey G

I'm 5'10" and 190

before we can help you we need to know a few things. what about the class rules and weights. also tell us about your motor, mid, gearcase, prop, trim system and anything else you can think of.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks Casey

No one at the WAR has a scale so it's all been done by guessing. Bill (Badbait) was incharge of the WAr this year and he made the classes. He put me in the "unlimited" class along with his STV said to weigh about 550 stripped and my XR has been reported at 596, also Kevin Kraft ran his Mirage and it's definitely light and posted ten second runs in Phoenix a few weeks ago in 90+ heat.

Bill set up a 1000 foot course, and next year it may well be a full 1320 quarter.

Motor: This current p/h is a modded 280 ported like a drag, with 260 boxes, PCU, SVS, light flywheel, 180 psi compression, Rapair stator, 56 psi regulator and Kevin pointed out the fuel system is wrong or marginal because it has a Bosch pump and 5/16" lines. Basically this boat was set up for a 260 but it blew and this p/h was dropped on in a pinch and stayed that way. I don't think it has a limiter and I have run it up to 9,300 but during the WAR the flywheel bolts came loose, 1 came off and was found in the pan, we locktited them at the end of the day. The sparkplugs loosened because of **powdercoating** on the heads, :laughing no i am serious and it was puking fuel out the sparkplug holes. I removed the plugs and scraped away all the powdercoating from the seating areas.

I run TT111 fuel with Klotz KL333 32:1.

Mid: 15" SS

Gearcase: 200 coned done by Titus. starboard inlet plugged. integral foil. I have 2 XR-6's also done by Titus, never yet run. One has Steckbauer innards. The 200 case came apart (epoxy chunk sucked off portside on its second time in the water) and at the WAR I squished some pig putty in there and it held all the next day.

Prop(s): Real Yamaha 24 drag, Hoss 24 triton, 22-24-26 ET's, Performance Prop Yammie 24 copy, take your pick.

Trim system: standard 12V with single large ram as you'd expect on a 15, like offshore. No trim gauge--yet. Thniking of putting stainless marine mounted vertical in cockpit. Trim pump is mounted on port side in the rear compartment, near the front bulkhead.

Setback: 6.25 inches T-H marine not an Allison bracket.

Propshaft: When level with pad, 7/16" above pad surface measured 3" from lip (pad bottom)

Other: 20 gallon fuel cell definitely has to go. Battery mounted in front, Optima blue top 38 lbs.

10,000 rpm Merc tach no speedo.

2 boat fenders (inflatable style) carried in starboard side. No other "junk" in the boat except the Garmin GPS 12 usually kept in portside.

Also I have a brand new 2005 Merc Drag minus a lower unit in a crate, never been opened.

Does any of this help?

Last edited:

FLYING BUTCHER

Lou you need a drag foil (plate) to stop boat from launching sideways!! Donny Lott got a new (to him) Ally drag. Had same problem, put a plate on and stopped it. He ran very low 10s all weekend at last race. Take a look at the foil I have on S&F. It goes from front of lowerunit (brace hooks onto front bolt of LU) way past back of prop. It will stop boat from going anywhere but flat straight ahead!! Didn't take any time off top end. I couldn't get down close enough to 11 second bracket so am not going to use it. You are welcome to try it if you want to. Looks like you had a great time. Damn I didn't think Badbait could ever get ugler--but he always proves me wrong!! Later

Last edited:

Casey G

I see 3 things that you need to start with

first your running way to much prop assuming your running 1.87's. get you a 22p yamaha and let the motor turn up

a fast trim pump and 24v are a must if you want the boat to come out clean

and yes a plate on the gear case is a must

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks Casey, thanks Bill, yes I'd love to try that plate and along with 24V trim what about a gauge.

I HAVE TO come out clean if I want to live in any races.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Ya find a straw helmet in your chevy?
All this and observant too! I don't have a Chevy. It's a GMC. :laughing

All kidding aside, yes Gary I have your hat! Tell me where to send it in a PM.

Thanks for all your help at the WAR. It was great meeting you and Chris!!!:beer:

XXXR2001

Here's a picture of my dash. The pic isn't so great, but the white strip at the top (above my tach) is a Stainless Marine trim gauge. If you get one, mount it high so you can see it above the steering wheel (I learned this the hard way by mounting it too low the first time aroundbanghead ). The brown box to the right of my stearing wheel is a trim computer. If you don't have one, add that to Casey's list because it will definitely help you tune the way your boat launches and hooks up. I have two trim buttons on the steering wheel; one is 12volt and one is 24volt. You don't necessarily need 24v on the wheel but I like it. A lot of people just have their 24v hooked up through their trim computer. One more thing to add to Casey's list is a different tach. If you run a 22 Yamaha, you should be turning over 10k.

Oh and one more thing :laughing , you might want to consider moving that battery back to the rear of the boat. I know you said that it ran well with it up front, but I would think that could have something to do with your boat taking a couple of dips at the start before it cleans up. Actually, it probably dips because the trim is too slow so I wouldn't move it back just yet (because it's a lot of work), but if some of these other things don't fix you up, ya might wan't to try it.

Attachments

Casey G

Harry I had know idea that was you until I saw your dash. and your right about adding those things to the list, but I was just tying to get him in the ball park

Larry D

Hey Harry, is that a dedenbear trim box. I run that in my boat and have never changed the setting in 3 1/2 years. I ran modified, superstock and now prostock. The boat launches the same no matter what horse power it has on the back. As for weight in the front, i weigh 195. later Larry D

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks Harry, Casey, and Larry. I will proceed to collect and post some more photos of my rig.

If I put the trim gauge up top like you have shown (good idea) then I will have to make a new plate for the whole dash because the previous owner put a round gauge way up top as you will see soon.

An alternative to the horizontal top trim gauge I thought might be a vertical one on the portside next to the dash, the new stainless marine kind with the bright red LED dot pointer, they work great even in bright sunlight. But I can see the point about having one right on the "horizon".

Thanks for all the help I will be back later with pics!!

Lou

XXXR2001

Hey Harry, is that a dedenbear trim box. I run that in my boat and have never changed the setting in 3 1/2 years. I ran modified, superstock and now prostock. The boat launches the same no matter what horse power it has on the back. As for weight in the front, i weigh 195. later Larry D
Larry, you need to change all your dedenbear settings to 666!:laughing As good as your boat runs, I can see why you don't fool with the settings! My boat ain't all that user friendly so every time I change props or motor height, I have to adjust the trim computer to get it to run half way decent. When I get the numbers wrong (like Sunday in Mt. Pleasantbanghead ) it handles like poo poo!
Sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you in person at the last race. I was a little bit on edge as it was my first time racing with DSRA. I'll try to make it a point to chat with ya at Westlake!:beer:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Here are some pics of my setup, apologies for the poor image quality as they are from a cell phone.

One shot you can see simultaneously the fuel tank, trim pump, fuel pump, filter, and + - terminals.

hack02

How about negative trim wedges between the clamp bracket and the jackplate to go along with the 24 volt trim. Do you guys run them on the XR's?

FLYING BUTCHER

Lou, been on vacation?? for past week. Send me your shipping info and I will send you foil and "stacker plate" to try. I also have 1/2" negative trim wedges if you want to try them?? Sounds like you all had a good time at WAR. Hey tell Kevin I said hi at the races in Red Bluff. Later