Bat Turn........Ranger style

K.Kiser

Ok wait, so your saying Allison's dont have a monopoly on hooking ? Not what I heard from the other kids

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
He said he had a prop or skeg mark on the inside of his thigh. Don't want to call him clueless but, I have been tossed out of a big box brand boat. That bruise on the inside of his thigh was caused by the gear shifter when he rolled out the side. That's what really hurt the crap out of me. The gear shifter actually torn my thigh muscle and I had blood pooled in the bottom of my thigh under the skin the next morning.

atcje

Most all of the big box bass boats the seats are just a few inches below the deck. Next to impossible to stay in one when it decides to come around.

aeneas

What could have caused the bat turn? Engine too jacked up and a big blade prop? :confused:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
What cause mine was I was running around 45 turning left and let off the gas for maybe 1 second. Bow set and around she went. I was in a procraft

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
A log or rocks could have done it as well. Otherwise you really have to yank the steering wheel to get it to turn violently going that slow. Is that version of Ranger a very shallow hull though?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
A log or rocks could have done it as well. Otherwise you really have to yank the steering wheel to get it to turn violently going that slow. Is that version of Ranger a very shallow hull though?
I didn't hit anything running that slow or yank the wheel and turned violently. Much easier to do that you might think.

Chad Phillips

I borrowed my buddies Z21 a few weeks back, and it tried coming around on me a couple of times making turns. The jackplate was almost bottomed out(Atlas plate), it had a modified Tempest on the back. I didn't like that one bit.

xb03fs

I don't think there areany other boats that can maintain lift and stay on the pad and turn like ours do staying level....other boats slip slide and or have to slow way down.

ziemer

Seems like he really doesn't have a clue what happened. First, he said the boat kept going in circles after they came out, but then he said he was briefly knocked unconscious and woke up curled in a ball at the bottom of the lake. And the life jacket didn't inflate...doesn't make a good argument for those "auto-inflate" jackets no either.

whipper

Seems like he really doesn't have a clue what happened. First, he said the boat kept going in circles after they came out, but then he said he was briefly knocked unconscious and woke up curled in a ball at the bottom of the lake. And the life jacket didn't inflate...doesn't make a good argument for those "auto-inflate" jackets no either.
haha no doubt. I often wondered about those auto inflates. i think there good in a slow boat were if your sinking you can manual inflate. But when your in a boat that can turf ya at speed and you are knocked out I would rather know its always in float mode and cant fail. the less you have to rely on working in an emergency the better.:beer:

Jon

Supporting Member
Agreed. Fishy story. There is no way he bat turned, got hit by the skeg/prop, kill switch didn't work right, and his life jacket didn't inflate. I bet he caught a 6' 900lb large mouth as well.

K.Kiser

bs aside, I understand that instantaneous events like a hook & ejection, a persons memory may be skewed by what they remember, what they don't, and what they assum happened..

But as the story is written, it sounds sketchy for reasons already mentioned.. Also in my opinion if he sank to the bottom unconsciously then he would've drowned unless he's ninja trained to hold his breath while knocked out..

GotMyAlly

I have an auto-inflate, but it only gets worn in limited situations. IE....below the dam where a life jacket is required at all times while fishing. If I walk off the front deck, I can probably pull the cord if it fails to auto-inflate. It is not a replacement for my lifeline when running.