Are XB2003's Fast?

amosXB03

Strip quit looking at the spedo, cover it with painters tape if necessary, watch the water, and get a feel for her...speed will come.....

If your spedo is not GPS it will not be accurate anyway. I didn't really know what mune would run until my daughter was palying with the HH GPS while fishing one day, at a stop she told me we hit high 70's which was way more than the high 60's the spedo was saying (this was a vote of much needed confidence as I was getting agravated tyring too hard)...at the end of the day I left her on the dock and ran her into the mid 80's easily....now well thats another story

as far as bullets go they are great boats my buddy has a one with the 280 (replaced a slug 250), and it is brutal fast....handles great and will eat my lunch top end...it I only fished I might go for a bullet, but the xb2003 was a concious decsion, I wanted it all, comfort, speed, fishability, and the ability to sit more than three people in my rig was important...try to fit four or five in any other boat on the market with allsions capability....not going to happen....plus no offense to the bullet owners but they are a dime a dozen, my allison draws as many looks and starts as many discussions as my stv did....

I agree with what everyone has posted comparatively powered with similiar set ups and = drivers an allison should out perform other boats

the only boat I have been comfortable with posting tripple digit numbers was my STV Euro, I would love to drive an allison there as I think I have the ability now....but hitting 90 in an allison is equivalent to 100 + in an stv....THRILL

strip

Actually, I don't even know if my speedo works, I was guestamating speed by how tight my a** was drawed up!

catfish123

My XB2003 with a stock 200 Promax ran a best of 88.7 mph with a 28 ET Lightning. The 225X has increased the top end to a best of 97.1 mph with a worked 30 Chopper II. It took around 5 years of experimenting with the 225X to get it over 94. I'm not sure but I think it still may have 1-2 more mph left in it. I, at a rather advanced age........LOL.........have become somewhat of a chicken over 93 so I'll let the attempts to increase our top speed to my son and he may also have the unexpected bat turns. It's still winter here so it will be about another 2 months before we run again.

Last edited:

Fishforcash

I have had 2 Bullets and 2 Allisons. Both are fine boats and serve their purpose well. Would'nt mind owning either one. Matter of fact I'd like to have one of each.

I really enjoyed drivig my XB2003 MUCH better than my 20XD. Both fished well and I dont think the XB2003 gets enough credit for its fishability but both have their positives and negatives. Speed wise up to 90-101 the Allison should beat the Bullet (now there are some quick ones out there too, that Davis kid can sure get one down the track in a hurry). Power for power the Allison is HANDS DOWN quicker (should be, theres always a dog setup out there as we know will all brands). You just need to be sharper to stay with a Allison when it reaches high speeds. They dont drive themselves but they are not hard to drive either. Things just happen quicker in a Allison then it does in a Bullet because of the design. The XB's keel is deeper and in turn takes a bigger bite when the power gets cut off at speeds so you better have your ducks in a row or your going to learn the hard way (I did). Still love the boat but I needed a more wide open floor plan so I could keep a eye on my 83 year old dad and my 3 year old grand daughter. Now a XTB-21 is in the stable with high hopes being held when she is finished. She's going to make a fine crappie fishin' bote.

Last edited:

strip

That's fast Catfish, Thanks for posting them numbers. I believe 88.7 was what Johnny said he got out of mine. Where you from?

strip

I have had 2 Bullets and 2 Allisons. Both are fine boats and serve their purpose well. Would'nt mind owning either one. Matter of fact I'd like to have one of each.

I really enjoyed drivig my XB2003 MUCH better than my 20XD. Both fished well and I dont think the XB2003 gets enough credit for its fishability but both have their positives and negatives. Speed wise up to 90-101 the Allison should beat the Bullet (now there are some quick ones out there too, that Davis kid can sure get one down the track in a hurry). Power for power the Allison is HANDS DOWN quicker (should be, theres always a dog setup out there as we know will all brands). You just need to be sharper to stay with a Allison when it reaches high speeds. They dont drive themselves but they are not hard to drive either. Things just happen quicker in a Allison then it does in a Bullet because of the design. The XB's keel is deeper and in turn takes a bigger bite when the power gets cut off at speeds so you better have your ducks in a row or your going to learn the hard way (I did). Still love the boat but I needed a more wide open floor plan so I could keep a eye on my 83 year old dad and my 3 year old grand daughter. Now a XTB-21 is in the stable with high hopes being held when she is finished. She's going to make a fine crappie fishin' bote.

I love them 21's Can't wait to see her.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Best I ever seen in my 2003 and I have a 200 is 87.5 gps. But, she would run 84 to 85 gps loaded to the gills with my fishing tackle, cooler of drinks, ice ,anchor, spare prop, full tank of gas, etc. But she dont run at all now.................lol

amosXB03

fishforcash had a reply to pay attention to, if you are running at speed and chop the throttle be prepared, she will want to pick another direction with you...done it and the best solution was the old saying "when in doubt, gas it"...

strip

fishforcash had a reply to pay attention to, if you are running at speed and chop the throttle be prepared, she will want to pick another direction with you...done it and the best solution was the old saying "when in doubt, gas it"...
I did that first time I took her out, Nearly put it on the bank.lmao I will say I have never felt that much G-force in my life. I have since then lightened my foot a tad, at least until I learn to drive her.

So you are saying if It happens again and I manage to stay in the seat again I should stomp the pedal to straighten it back out?

GotMyAlly

I did that first time I took her out, Nearly put it on the bank.lmao I will say I have never felt that much G-force in my life. I have since then lightened my foot a tad, at least until I learn to drive her.

So you are saying if It happens again and I manage to stay in the seat again I should stomp the pedal to straighten it back out?

Once it starts, it may be too late to straighten her back out. Best to just stay in the gas and get on the down-trim button if you need to shed speed fast.

badbait

When I was new I had a tendency to lean on the down button to long when I thought I was in trouble. Before I knew it I had the boat bow steering which makes for some pretty violent side to side chine walking. I have found that it was best for me to just tap down a couple of time and ease out of the throttle. Now for the most part I never even tap down I just come out of it slow at first until I see the boat is coming down straight and has started to slow. I think some of the bat turns happen when a new driver gets in a little over his head and the boat is out of shape when the driver lifts the peddle.

Darth VMAX

I know I have done just what Badbait described. I have never gone around though. That might be the counter-rotating props that helped in keeping it straight.

strip

Sounds like what I did. The stiff steering didn't help either. I am not sure that what happened to me was actually a bat turn. It was more like a totaly unexpected 60-70 MPH 90degree Right. :LMAO::LMAO: Somebody buy my Gambler so I can get my steering fixed and start playing some.

baitcaster

Strip, when coming off of plan, do not let off to quickly on the gas. Ease your foot off and begin tapping the down button (not to quickly either). The key is to keep the nose from dropping into the water two quickly and maintain control over the steering of the boat in the process. As in my accident, the nose dropped rapidly with the engine still trimmed up. The hull immediately began steering the boat and the bat turn was in full force. This is what you are trying to avoid. When I first had my boat I made the mistake and dumped the gas at 62 / 65 when I could not control the china walk as a new driver and I learned very quickly that if the nose hits quickly it will turn, this boat will not settle into the water rear first like the majority of bass boats, so you have to control the lowering of the bow, dropping the motor down in the process which will allow you to control the steering. Never just dump the gas, if you have to drop speed quickly begin lowering the trim as you reduce throttle. It takes a little practice, in the beginning, leave a little more motor in the water via your jack plate, this will give you a little more control as well. As you become more proficient, you can begin jacking it up in increments for more top end speed. To reiterate, just as you do to increase speed trim and throttle, you must synchronize it in reverse when reducing speed negative trim and reduced throttle.

I hope this helps, good luck.

baitcaster

Strip, one of the things I did, via a recommendation from old racing boy Trex, was to over trim the boat at 40 or 45 mph putting the nose high in the air, the boat will walk with the nose real high so I could learn how to control / counter the walk and learn how to use the down trim with the reduction of throttle to set her back down in the water. If you mess up and by some chance you go into a turn it will not be a bad one. I know it may sound weird, but it works. At least it did for me. I played on the river doing this over and over; I gradually picking up speed, but kept it under 60 for a while. Once I got a handle on what to do, I started driving it normally and gradually running it at faster and faster speeds. It helped me learn how to respond to both the walk and putting her back in the water safely. You prob. already have a good handle on controlling the walk from driving your G-boat - I had come out of a Nitro and the Alli was a whole different animal - but it should help you with the other. Anyway it is just a thought and a process that helped me learn and get more comfortable with my Alli.

strip

That is a good idea. I will definately heed your advise and try to learn to drive it at slower speeds. Actually My G boat has never chined on me. Probably because it was underpowered and 72 was as good as it got I have some motor on it now but it's still new and I haven't really strung her out yet, Well except for last weekend when I made a couple of passes just to check her out...still no chine but it was real loose in the a**. I could feel it sliding around quite a bit. I prolly had the motor too low, I will say that boat is a whole new animal with the 3 liter on it.:shock::shock::shock::shock:

amosXB03

Strip-what I was talking about is only applicable if you are not pointed at the bank...the best thing is to roll out like the boys have described....it will work if you realize it immediately

time, patience

baitcaster

.............. Actually My G boat has never chined on me. Probably because it was underpowered and 72 was as good as it got I have some motor on it now but it's still new and I haven't really strung her out yet, Well except for last weekend when I made a couple of passes just to check her out...still no chine but it was real loose in the a**. I could feel it sliding around quite a bit. I prolly had the motor too low, I will say that boat is a whole new animal with the 3 liter on it.:shock::shock::shock::shock:
Strip, I am glad I could offer you something of value, please let me know if it helps. Keep in mind that if she begins walking to much and getting out of control, put the boat in a slight left handed turn, this will usually put the boat back in control and stop the walking. - good luck, I wish I was close by, I would be happy to go out with you. If you get a chance, get another driver to go w/you on the water. Chad took me out at my first Concordia trip and the advice, watching a master at work (which I unfortunatly am not), ie the experience was invaluable. I did this w/Mark Beck, though I am no Chad, at his first Concordia Trip and he called me the next time he took the boat out and thanked me, saying that it made a bid difference to him as well.

I really don't mean to disagree with you on your last run with your G-boat. I have never driven a G-boat and might be talking out of my a$$, so this is just my thoughts...... It actually sounds to me like you had to much motor out of the water or to high/much trim. It could also be that your prop does not have enough cupping and rake with the added HP. In the latter, the rear of the boat wants to lift up, rather than the nose and the back of the boat will begin sliding (typically to the left). At that point know that you have a lot of slippage in the prop and you are on the edge of a "blow out". If that is what was happening, lower the jack one notch it will help, but you probably need to have the prop worked to match the hull and HP. The prop is in need of a little more rake to lift the bow. The added HP may also be picking the boat up higher on the pad - out of the water, from shear HP/muscle alone and your prop is higher out of the water and loosing grab. In all of these scenarios, lowering the motor of reducing trim should put her back in control. Thus this sounds like a prop/set up issue to me and not that you had the motor to low in the water. I guess the big question is that when you began trimming did the boat get to a point as you trimmed and increased speed that the bow began to decline a little as the rear of the boat began to lift?????

Last edited:

baitcaster

After thought ->
Note: If the rear just got real "spongy" you were on the verge of a blow-out, please be careful at that point, you were pushing her on the edge - get more motor in the water and play with the set up.