Anybody got a DDT I can borrow/rent?

GotMyAlly

I need a DDT with the smartcraft software & cables to diagnose a problem with my 250XS. Anybody got one I can borrow/rent? I'll cover shipping and obviously if anything happens to it while it's in my possession, i'll buy it/replace it.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I have one ill send you but you will need a card for the smartcraft and cables I only have the stuff for a 260. Thats the best i can do for ya Bro. But, if you can get your hands on the other stuff you are more than welcome to it.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I do what I can I wish I had everything Neal needed. Never met Neal but, feel like I know him. Talked to him alot here online. People here have sent me props, motor parts. I even had some one offer me the internals for a sportmaster "cause mine ate a gear set" and not to worry about paying for the stuff until I had the cash. Just try'in to help where I can. Nothin better than the Family!

GotMyAlly

I appreciate it...think I may have the problem nailed down though.

Turned the key, volt meter shows 12.1v. That's after I've been home and had it on the charger overnight. Crankin' batt should have more volts than that I believe. I rarely ever charge the crankin' batt since i have a 60A alternator. Last time i was at the lake was 3 wks ago and it's just been sitting since. No telling how low the volts were yesterday morning. Plus, I had my stereo turned all the way up. I went out in the garage tonight and turned the key on, showed 12.1. Cranked the stereo, immediately fell to 11.8. I was told 12 was the threshold for the optis.

This motor pulls hard but hit a wall sunday morning at 5800 or so RPMs. Got a check engine indicator on the smartcraft and a beep beep beep. I think it just didn't have enough juice in the batt. Gonna drop a new one in and check it out. If that don't let it turn on up, i may have to keep on tryin to track down the smartcraft DDT stuff. Tempted to buy one.....i hate dealing with the local mechanics. All of 'em wanted me to drop it off and wait a week instead of taking 10 minutes to plug in the ddt and take a reading while i'm there.

suicidealli

i have done it too.. and have had people do it to me.. some of the older guys on s/f. i have done it for a ally guy too.. i forgot.

so what is going on neal??? what is it doing??? might be something simple...

roy

GotMyAlly

118 degrees as best as I recall, 25 psi. Smartcraft has icons for water pressure and temp and neither of those lit up. Only the engine icon popped up, which is pretty vague. I talked to Larry @ Razorback Marine today and he had a FSM in front of him and said it very well could be the battery, or possibly a MAF air sensor or TPS sensor. He said any of those would make it cut power back to 95%, which is about where i was at.......limiter is 6300. Gonna try a new batt first. If that doesn't fix it, i'll get it to a dealer since it still has a couple months of warranty. But i'd hate to take it in and have them tell me it needs a batt so i'll try that first.

Allyfishing

Neal, I know you are a member over on BBC and Don Weed is always on the boards at nite troubleshooting issues for guys on the Mercury 3 liter forum. (Not to say that there isn't great advice here, no offense really) You may want to throw this out there to him. Unless you have already and I missed it. Sounds though like you may have it diagnosed yourself.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Neal i run a 3-bank on-board charger and i charge the batts on my boat before every outing.... I used to tuck the 250XS under before every takeoff while running and gunning from fishing hole to fishing hole, trimming out under power.... Sixty-amp alternator notwithstanding, I'd get the blaring alarm (and i think a silhouette of the engine on the smartcraft display) as long as I was trimming up under load. The simple analog gauge showed a little less than 12 volts. Now I just take off with minimal trim adjustments, and no alarm goes off... Analog gauge shows ~14 V.... A fully-charged battery ought to test out at ~13.8V..... Maybe your alternator was just over-loaded...... leading to excessive cranking battery drainage.....

Richard

Alli-drenaline Rush

I also have an FSM for the 250 XS.... Sorry I didn't think to check last night, but I can check the section on beeps and codes and icons and get back with you tonight.... That is, assuming that the FSM is not serial number-specific....

Richard

GotMyAlly

I'd be curious to see what the FSM says. I got an intermittent short/fast beeps, plus a bell icon and engine icon on the smartcraft.

I feel fairly certain now it's the battery. It sits at 12.1 v just sitting in the garage, after it's been charged all night. But turn on the stereo in the boat and it drops quick to 11.3-11.5 with the amp really cranked. I did have the stereo blasting when i was running the other day too.......

New battery is on they way.....got an optima red top in my jeep i'll drop in it to run this weekend if i don't have the new batt by then.

GotMyAlly

Neal, I know you are a member over on BBC and Don Weed is always on the boards at nite troubleshooting issues for guys on the Mercury 3 liter forum.
LOL, yeah I have bounced ideas off him in the past. I did email him, but I'm kinda not welcome on BBC anymore. Bashing Deka batteries (and other minor infractions) got me the boot. LMFAO.

By the way, this is the 2nd Deka battery that is less than or right at 1 yr old that I've had bite the dust.

RedAllison

Well then can't you take a hint? Quit playin that crappy, teen crapola you call music on your bump bump stereo and play some MANLY tunes like you cuss on my Ipod and I bet your battery issues will be solved.

:LMAO:
RA

Alli-drenaline Rush

Neal - critical = steady horn, severe = continuous beep, warning = 4 beeps every 2 minutes, caution = single beep. Sounds like your have a "caution" problem. There are 14 potential issues categorized as "caution" issues, 12 of them have the bell and engine icon. One is driver power low (faulty or low battery condition). The others relate to 5 VDC power low, CAN bus issues, MAP sensor issues, shift actuator issues, shift position sensor issues, neutral switch, no rpm detected, failure to reach op temp, TPS / MAP disagreements, TPI1 / TPI2 differential errors...... reads like you have a driver power issue!

Richard

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

That's an easy fix......hope that's all it is. I got a new Cabelas AGM battery on the way, 1195 crankin' amps.

Allyfishing

LOL, yeah I have bounced ideas off him in the past. I did email him, but I'm kinda not welcome on BBC anymore. Bashing Deka batteries (and other minor infractions) got me the boot. LMFAO.

By the way, this is the 2nd Deka battery that is less than or right at 1 yr old that I've had bite the dust.
:LMAO: I didn't know!! That's a riot! Just for bashing Deka batteries?? LOL!!! Deka plant is about 45 minutes from my location and I would not use a Deka if ya bought it for me. I used them in the past when I tourny fished and just thought I was hard on them til I switched over to a few other brands.

You email him on this issue and he did not get back to ya? That's strange.

LIke Red said....maybe your choice of music.....that really cracks me up!! LOL!!!!!!

RED......Is that the theme from the movie "DELIVERANCE" I'm hearing??? LOL!!!!!!!