Any other GS owners break a lot of props?

JMC

come on guys

You can jack these engines until you dont have water pressure and not hurt a prop.

Now dont get your feathers ruffled Allisonman, as long as your giving your 2 cents make sure you let others as well. A discussion is a discussion, there is no reason mentioning "ungrateful" or asking someone
skydog how much exprience have you had in hi-po boating?????? just because you disagree
Skydog has been here for years, no need to dis him like that.

Skydog

Re: come on guys

JMC said:
You can jack these engines until you dont have water pressure and not hurt a prop.

Now dont get your feathers ruffled Allisonman, as long as your giving your 2 cents make sure you let others as well. A discussion is a discussion, there is no reason mentioning "ungrateful" or asking someone
skydog how much exprience have you had in hi-po boating?????? just because you disagree
Yea that was kind of what i was thinking? Any way take care guys!
:oops: :cry:
Skydog :shock: :D :D

J

John Richied

Well dang now I don’t know what to believe… LOL

Where Randy is talking about prop maintenance that makes sense, especially on the leading edge. I like to take 600 grit sandpaper and sand lightly down the prop blade edge and the first

Yellowallison

SKYDOG!!

Yu got me all confused as to who said what- and when
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JMC wrote:

Now dont get your feathers ruffled Allisonman, as long as your giving your 2 cents make sure you let others as well. A discussion is a discussion, there is no reason mentioning "ungrateful" or asking someone Quote:
What I want knwo is....... who going to be the fastest at the RALLY??

My monies on SKYDOG!!!! :p

Yellowallison

UTTT OHHH AMAN!!! :x

Well the old G.S. should be pushing 105-107

--- looks like yu might the slowest at the rally this YR!

- 2slow teddy gunna spank yu with his new 28ET
- Hacky is gunna spank yu with his new SS
- SkyDog gunna spray mud on yur bow with his SKI boat

Maybe yu do need to recheck yur Transom Height :?: :?: :?:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ALLISONMAN

dang kev you are starting to act like ole chromie with that ban word so you better be carefull or you wont get no deersteaks from redallison ya know and also my CAPS key is stuck on :lol: now get back to argueing with chris!!!!!!! :lol: oh yeah see ya at the rally dude!!!! and are you, yeller, and chromie all towing together??????? :eek:

ALLISONMAN

116 in a prosport!!!!!

yo yeller i getting some new hydralic steering - lowering my propshaft and adding one of those new sportmasters!!!!! lets see i have run 106 plus 2mph for the hyd. steering plus 2 mph for transom height plus a conservitive 6mph for the lower so damn ill be at right at 116 by then hell i might go set a record with the slowsport!!!!!!!!

besides daddy has a little surprise for you to yeller!!!!bring that drag with ya!!!!!

Yellowallison

O- lord.... !!!!!!!!!!! AMAN!!!!!!

Yu go tto lay off those KRISPY KREEMES!

damn ill be at right at 116..
Only time yu ever seen 116 was in the 1st grade! 116lbs

Ole YU want some of the YEALLR DRAG!! then SATurday morning instead ofg gettin inthe Maryville... folowing me to WINCHESTER/ODBA and get all you wanT!

I would say when I get back that afternoon. I play with ya.. But yu be ole Deprizzed like PINKIE is now .. and not wanta play after Hacky,2TEDDY and Skydog school YA!

Wicky

Re: High

Skydog said:
He does need to know how high he is running. In a G.S. there is no need to be higher than even. You can run 100++ all day at 1/4 in below the pad. I have run my G.S. over 100MPH lots of times with the motor about 1/8 in below the pad. Have had boat for 5 years never broke a prop yet. :? :D But have done in a few lower units,seals,motors and spun a hub in a Hoss.

Wicky, please tell me your set up,lower uint,set back,motor, what rpm you spin her. What kind of speed you are getting.

Skydog
200 case/Hydromotive cone/1.75 ratio
Stock factory setback/cmc hydrolic plate
6800 rpms
98.5 gps

Wicky

GPI Racing said:
If there was someway I could post prop maintenance I'd do it. ( don't know how to write it)It's all about edge prep and keeping nicks turning into stress risers. Even a nick that you can't see but can feel with your fingernail sliding down the edge can turn into a stress crack. We plan on showing this at the ally 50th during one of the parking lot pow-wow's. I'll ship Lou some pics of my blade tuning and maybe he can post them. With proper prep I very rarely lose a blade or have one crack.

Randy

Maintenance is one thing I have never done to a prop. I go through them too quickly to do that. :lol:
It makes a lot of sense though. More info would be great!!

The last time I slung a blade it went through the cav plate on the cle lu.
There was about a half second of vibration, I looked back, and FLING!!
It sounded just like that. FLING!!!! It was the coolest thing to actually see the blade fly 1000 ft into the air. Good thing it didn't come down and hit anyone.

That prop (30' Performance yammi) was the prop that found 98.5 too. That was a sad day last summer.

Now, I guess my next question would be to what extent damage do you think is repairable on a prop?

The chopper I cracked on Sunday is definitely repairable IMO. Do you guys put em on a shelf after damage like a hairline crack or do you fix them?

Thanks,
Wicky

Wicky

Re: That many broken props?

JMC said:
You must have another problem Wikky. If you cracked a Triton or Yammy that would be one thing but to break a Trophy and a Tempest is another. Either you have a bent shaft or you are torquing the engine while loading it on the trailer. Most guys dont know how easily you can crack an ear trying to push your boat up on the trailer with the engine. Something is surely wrong, I have been running my GS since '92 at 1/2" to 1"" above the pad and have never slung a blade even at or above 8k.

skydog how much exprience have you had in hi-po boating?????? if you take a high propshaft and run it high all the time the paddle wheel effect on the water will beat the ears off props!!!! now i am talking running along at low speeds 30-50mph - neutral trim - take a look back and see if you are throwing a rooster tail??? if you are you are slipping that prop and the blades are smacking the water hence the rooster tail!!!! then come tell me how many props ya been through????
Allisonman, lots of "veteran" guys with tons of experience running well over 100 here at this site.....you could be one. Some guys run higher than others due to extended offsets, larger LU housings, different skeg shapes and other weight factors.

I was told the trophy and the tempest weren't surfacing props and failure was inevitable when surfacing them. Believe me, the way I drive, the props are out of the water more than they are in.
The motor is usually cranked all the way up on the plate.

Propshafts have all been straight.
I have never loaded the boat under power.
I have however, used soft pinewood when tightening down the props.
I think the wood is the only thing that all my broke props have in common other than running hard in rough water.
Wicky

P.S. I would like to add that the "Performance" Yammicopy was by far, the best performing and handling of all the props I broke. It also cracked the fastest.

Skywagon

Wicky,

Since we have similar boats I thought I'd give you my set up for reference. Not that I'm advocating that anyone "must" run this, but just to help build a knowledge base.

91' GS with stock 280. Stock sportmaster(no skeg mods). I drive my boat mainly as a lake cruiser not really concerned about top speed. I just like the hole shot and blasting around.

I generally run a stock 24 chopper II at 1/2" below the pad. I have an 8" rapid jack. On the limiter (7800) it gets me 91 or so and gets there quick. Hole shot is great. By raising the jack plate one notch to 1/4" below and swaping a stock 28ET it runs 98-99 on GPS. Nothing special and it would take some harsh treatment or driver innattention to get it to blow out or drive funky.

Again, I've never had a prop problem, so if it does turn out that your prop durability is linked to X dimension, then at least this may give you a frame of reference. I tend to think that you may have had some damaged/over worked props as far as the choppers styles go. As far as the trophies....I'll bet you a dr. pepper that the blades came off due to surfacing.

Good luck,

Bill

Wicky

ALLISONMAN said:
JUST TRYING TO HELP WICKY OUT AFTER ALL HE HAS THE PROBLEM AND HE HASNT EVEN MENTIONED PROPSHAFT HEIGHT!!!!!! !!!
Thanks Allisonman!!!!!!!
Thanks Bill!! I think with your motor you have the purrfect set up.
A 280 would be sooooo nice!!
Wicky

ziemer

GS Props

I run mine slightly higher (1/8" below) than Skywagon and haven't had any problems to date. Been running the same hoss triton for the past two years until just recently and probably for half of that time my hoss had a couple of dings in it. I turn mine to around 8000, and that's with a pretty good load. I would bet that if you're running in a lot of rougher water situations and the prop is completely coming out of the water on occasion than that's is probably your biggest issue. At any time have you ever spun a hub?

Also, you still didn't really mention what height your at in relation to the pad (unless I didn't see it.)

On Tap

No Wood...

I agree with John... I cringe every time I see a guy putting a 2x4 between a blade and cav-plate. If you're not already tightening your props the way John described, do yourself a favor and start.

Good Luck!!

K

Kevin from FL

A-man, if you would wash them paws of yours before you start banging on the keyboard, it might help them keys from getting stuck!!!!!!

Chromie is teaching me all of his message board tricks...........he is the master ya know :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JMC

Geez Wicky, you have everyone scratching their heads. With all the different props you have been through I dont see how anyone could blame the props. If you were running too high the slip would be very extreme and chances are the (Triton and Yammy) wouldnt even dry out the hull even loaded light. Some of the props you have mentioned are built to be run very high.There are a few Skaters, Cougars etc running twins around here in big water using Et's and Chopper II's and Cleavers, these guys dont cut them any slack exiting and re-entering the water. I would probably say their flywheels are getting beat harder than their props. Get us a picture with engine jacked where you run and get the engine level, get a side shot so we can guestimate how high you are in relation to the pad. Like Allisonman mentioned earlier everyones measurements are different so its tough to get your pad level and the engine perfectly level AND just so happen to have your rig parked on a perfectly level carport, street etc. Since a few of us have GS's you could just measure from the top of the transom to the top of the engine bracket. Also when you are running 30- 40mph or so trim the engine level and have someone look down at the LU and see if the leading point of the housing is in the water. I keep mine just above it .

GPI Racing

Wicky,

I wouldn't blame you, the boat , the set up or the props. The prop care thing I talk about would probably save your props. I have a guy here in MN that used to go thru props kind of like you have. A little training on what to look for and how to prevent it has him now on 2 years with no problems. Your chopper could be repaired only if the crack is small an on the leading edge. Use it to block the trailer in the driveway if it is cracked on the trailing edge. We have had good luck heat treating and cryo treating props. A yamaha drag prop will double it's life with proper treatment. I will try to post some things on here on the hows and whys over the weekend. Maybe that will help the situation. If you could send me a pic of your chopper I could tell you if it is worth fixing. randy@gpi.clearwire.net

Randy