Any other GS owners break a lot of props?

Wicky

I have now cracked/broken 6 props as of today. I don't get it.
Hoss Triton
Chopper II
Chopper
Trophy
Tempest
Performance Yammicopy

Is anyone else cracking or breaking props like I am???
Thanks,
Wicky

K

Kevin from FL

Todd, how high are you running them? That's a bunch of prop's man.

Wicky

As high as I can get them with a light load. A little lower with passengers and some extra lbs. I've never measured exact height.
I think they tend to crack in the rougher water though.

RedAllison

Wick thats the downside to surfacing props, especially with worked wheels in rough water. The props are "unsprung" as they clear the water and then slammed back into the water as they go around. The breakage/cracking occurs right where that particular blade is flexing the most, kinda like bending a nail or coathanger back and forth until it breaks at a particular point.

Thats evidanced by breaking "tougher" props like Choppers, Trophies and Tempests.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but lower your engine or keep on replacing props. :cry: '
RA

ps
You might wanna call Thom or Todd at Hydromotive, they can build thicker/tougher props that still run very well and since they too have a GS they have more experience with those rigs than anyother prop builders in the country! :wink:

Wicky

I should have added that I'm on my third l.u. :( Propshaft on this one is straight. :D

ALLISONMAN

HEY WICKY get yer arse back to havasubarney son!!!!!! lower that damn motor and youll problems will disappear!!!!

Skydog

Man

That is nuts! I think most of those props must have been worked to much! I feel your motor hight should be fine. If you are not blowing out.(bat turns)

Skydog

Skywagon

I've only had my GS for a couple of years but I've yet to break any props(knock on wood!). I've only had a triton and choppers though. I run a stock sporty at 1/4" below. That gets me going pretty well. Good luck.

Bill

ALLISONMAN

skydog how much exprience have you had in hi-po boating?????? if you take a high propshaft and run it high all the time the paddle wheel effect on the water will beat the ears off props!!!! now i am talking running along at low speeds 30-50mph - neutral trim - take a look back and see if you are throwing a rooster tail??? if you are you are slipping that prop and the blades are smacking the water hence the rooster tail!!!! then come tell me how many props ya been through???? I know for a fact this cause my dad use to have lower unit and prop problems when he had a fixed plate!!! he kept the plate high to run but driving easy tore his crap up so i bought him a hydralic plate and havent had any problems since!!!!! you being that low on your gearcase is probably keeping you from tearing up stuff so raise is up move some weight to the back to keep your blowout from happening and then in a year tell us about your props!!! hope this helps explain something from the been there done that file!!!! peace out bruther

Skydog

Well about 7 years

I am not saying that running the props high is not hard on them. IT IS VERY hard on every thing prop,gears,seals,motor,streering,----. You will crack a prop or spin a hub every now and then, but his list of props tells me they where worked to thin! Later man

Skydog :D P.S. Most every prop in his list is made to run half out of the water.(HIGH)

Skydog

High

He does need to know how high he is running. In a G.S. there is no need to be higher than even. You can run 100++ all day at 1/4 in below the pad. I have run my G.S. over 100MPH lots of times with the motor about 1/8 in below the pad. Have had boat for 5 years never broke a prop yet. :? :D But have done in a few lower units,seals,motors and spun a hub in a Hoss.

Wicky, please tell me your set up,lower uint,set back,motor, what rpm you spin her. What kind of speed you are getting.

Skydog

J

John Richied

If your using a hardwood such as oak to hold your prop with while you are tightening down the prop bolt you may be tweaking the prop blades… especially the thinner ones. I no longer use anything but my hand to hold the prop when I torque down the prop nut.

GPI Racing

If there was someway I could post prop maintenance I'd do it. ( don't know how to write it)It's all about edge prep and keeping nicks turning into stress risers. Even a nick that you can't see but can feel with your fingernail sliding down the edge can turn into a stress crack. We plan on showing this at the ally 50th during one of the parking lot pow-wow's. I'll ship Lou some pics of my blade tuning and maybe he can post them. With proper prep I very rarely lose a blade or have one crack.

Randy

JMC

That many broken props?

You must have another problem Wikky. If you cracked a Triton or Yammy that would be one thing but to break a Trophy and a Tempest is another. Either you have a bent shaft or you are torquing the engine while loading it on the trailer. Most guys dont know how easily you can crack an ear trying to push your boat up on the trailer with the engine. Something is surely wrong, I have been running my GS since '92 at 1/2" to 1"" above the pad and have never slung a blade even at or above 8k.

skydog how much exprience have you had in hi-po boating?????? if you take a high propshaft and run it high all the time the paddle wheel effect on the water will beat the ears off props!!!! now i am talking running along at low speeds 30-50mph - neutral trim - take a look back and see if you are throwing a rooster tail??? if you are you are slipping that prop and the blades are smacking the water hence the rooster tail!!!! then come tell me how many props ya been through????
Allisonman, lots of "veteran" guys with tons of experience running well over 100 here at this site.....you could be one. Some guys run higher than others due to extended offsets, larger LU housings, different skeg shapes and other weight factors.

ALLISONMAN

YEP I KNOW THAT!!!!!! THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS WHEN SOMEONE DISAGREES WITH SOMEONE ELSE AND MAKES ME NOT WANT TO HELP ANY THE UNGRATFULL PEOPLE THAT MAKE DISCUSSION A DISCUSSION!!!! SOMEONE CALLS YA OUT AND HAVE TO COME OUT SOMETIME AND I TELL YOU SOMETHING ELSE IF 5 DIFFERENT PEOPLE MEASURE PROPSHAFT HEIGHT YOU WILL GET 5 DIFFERENT ANSWERS SO THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE FOR YALL TO DISAGREE WITH ME ON BUT SO WHAT YOU HAVE YOUR OWN SETUP!!!! JACK IT UP LET THEM BLADES SLAP THE WATER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!! JUST TRYING TO HELP WICKY OUT AFTER ALL HE HAS THE PROBLEM AND HE HASNT EVEN MENTIONED PROPSHAFT HEIGHT!!!!!! I WAS JUST REFERRING TO WHAT I HAVE HAD PERSON EXPRIENCE WITH GEARCASE AND PROPELLER FAILURE!!!! NOT WHAT I READ OFF THE DAMN INTERNET!!!!! SO HAVE AT ME!!!!!!

Yellowallison

HUUH!!!!!!

""Allisonman, lots of "veteran" guys with tons of experience running well over 100 here at this site.....you could be one"""

YO JMC.. not trying to spill Evinrude oil on yur Deck Carpet!!

But UMMM!! letz me HELPZ ya out... Ole Aman knows as much about a ALLISON's as any body in the country.................. and hiz boat haulzz azz! and on any day run right on past 100 with a fishin load...

Yea he full of chit. and he still trying to figure out how YELLARALLY( 1) always busted that Arrzz.

Now Cmon onto the rally and just look for the ugliest, baldest, white legged white boy in the parking lot and thaz.. our one and only AMAN!

Now yall get back to smackin......

OH YEA.. Yeallr ALLISON GOT A LIL SECRET fo YALL!

The reason why props shaft break and pistons stick is because yur turned the DAMM key ON!

GET R DUN! :shock: :shock: :shock:

K

Kevin from FL

Allisonman, fix that dang Caps Lock on your keyboard or get banned ya bald headed moron :lol:

You need to read more on the internet, who know's, you just may learn something :)