And they say Allys are expensive......

ROBERT CROSS

More American Companies should have a Mission Statement that matches what Darris and the Allison Factory are comitted too.....:beer:

The Impeccable Quality of Allison Boats

The best of design and engineering processes must be teamed with exceptional materials and quality craftsmanship to obtain a uniquely useful, durable, and efficient product. Allison boasts the industry

strip

It's those 10-20 year loans that sell the new boats for them, but it's also what causes them to depriciate so rapidly. The average guy with some credit can buy a $70,000 boat for $300 per month, but the problem is...if he decides at one point he needs to get out from under that note he is screwed because the banks won't go even 10 yrs on a used one. So that 70k boat ends up being sold for around 30k when it's only a year old so some other guy can buy it for $300 per month. All I can say, is that if I am gonna be in that $300 per month payment line, I will damn sure be in the second one. But, I have no desire to be in either. My dreams are inspired by a very used $17k ish Alli paid in full.

K.Kiser

It's those 10-20 year loans that sell the new boats for them, but it's also what causes them to depriciate so rapidly. The average guy with some credit can buy a $70,000 boat for $300 per month, but the problem is...if he decides at one point he needs to get out from under that note he is screwed because the banks won't go even 10 yrs on a used one. So that 70k boat ends up being sold for around 30k when it's only a year old so some other guy can buy it for $300 per month. All I can say, is that if I am gonna be in that $300 per month payment line, I will damn sure be in the second one. But, I have no desire to be in either. My dreams are inspired by a very used $17k ish Alli paid in full.
That's pert near accurate, and I feel the same way... You can also cruise, hotrod around, and fish out of that Allison for 20+ years or hell who knows how long and it's still gonna be fully sound and very likely without a gel crack...

xb03

I may be young, but I'm sure glad that I can be part of the Allison family.
Thanks, Allison and A-Owners

David Shook

I paid 3,500.00 for the carp boat and I thought that was outrageous! Paid her off in two and half years instead of the original three yr. contract so saved some interest, made me feel somewhat better about the transaction, don't remember catching any fish out of it, but it seemed quick!!!!!!
Shook

90 5.0

It's insane, i would have to win the lottery to stomach buying a new boat and then i prolly still wouldn't.

Like others have said you can get one 2 years old for almost 20k less it seems.

No way on earth i would ever, ever finance a boat for 30 years. I've come close a few times but slapped myself afterwards and came back to reality.

I bought a really nice 98, and keep it as nice as possible. People never beleive it when i tell them it's a 98.

wash,and vaccum/amorall every time out and wax about once a month.

i can't beleive it when you see guys with 2 year old "cookie cutters" they paid 60+ for that look 15 years old.

i saw a 08 FX20 last year that looked 10+ years old, seats ripped , carpet messed up, pad full of chips and glass showing it was insane...

ROBERT CROSS

Would/could never buy new....lucky for me the P/O was as anal as I as far as maint is concerned...but then most here are I suppose.:laughing

It took a few years to get here....but well worth it.:at the bar

Bob

hullbilly

The EPA is partially to blame for these bigger and heavier motors/boats. The motors get heavier so the builder has to retool and redesign to hold the motor.

You can thank the EPA for screwing this country in about a thousand different ways
What a wild stretch that statement is, especially since that clean water act is nothing but trash!

Fact #1: There is nothing either in the EPA, CARB or EU outboard emissions legislation that will ban the use of any outboard motor on any waterway. EPA, CARB and EU do set limits for engines to be sold by the effected date of legislation. The legislation enacted by the U.S. and The California Air Resource Board (CARB) as well as EU Recreational craft directive REGULATE EMISSIONS not 2-stroke design.

Oh,,,one other goodie while we're on the pyscho talk............to think this bullchit was passed under a Conservative POTUS. Go figure.

Fact is that manufacturers love to build bigger and more expensive products, where they can charge the consumer even more! What does a ford dealer make more money on...you got it....the King Ranch....not the XLT. I still fish out of a 1991 20 ft. Champion bassboat bought and paid for the day we hooked onto it. You could hang a locomotive on the transom and still be just fine. Furthermore, the boat itself will do anything a 21 or 22 footer will do. Heck,,,Champion tossed out a 22 footer before anybody even thought about a 4-stroke outboard. I was surprised when they didn't sell like hotcakes.

BOTTOMLINE:

The boat builders build bigger boats and the engine builders build bigger engines cause that's what the average cat thinks he needs/wants. Yep, the neighbor has a 20 footer, so I'll one up him with a 21 ft. The guy next to me in the ramp as a 21 and man it looks soooo much better, think I'll upgrade. Skeet Reese has a 21 and yellow fishin pole....think I'll take one of each. The manufacturer produces it for the american consumer who can't get enough....bigger is better and it don't matter what it cost cause I'll just pop a loan baby....and the Bankers just laugh while they count their billions and trillions.

Last edited:

hullbilly

Almost as bad as the cats that bust open their 401K's to buy boats and motors!

Here's the deal, if everybody would just save their money and buy what they could actually pay for (that means cold hard cash, aka...real money), these rediculous prices you guys are discussing would suddenly be reasonable. When every Tom, Dick, and Harry can pop loans for money they don't have, prices skyrocket...it's falsely inflated markets based on fake money and fake demand and a financially ignorant society. We go through 12 years of public education and not one mandatory basic finance class....go figure!

Add to that, low interest rates so the fat cats can keep the game going, and you've got the devaluation of currency! Therefore, your 70K bassboat is like a 25K bassboat! It's really just so silly, but our entire economy is built on debt/fake money and the average american doesn't understand nor care about their real socioeconomic place in the world. They just want everything and they want it now.

In saying all that, you come down here to the Refining/Chemical Plant Texas Gulf Coast, you can't find anything but new 70K bass and bay boats. More rich people than ever, countered with more poor people than ever.

Only good thing for a cash and carry cat like myself,,,,,,,,,,,the market is flooding with really nice preowned merchandise where an ignoramous ate the depreciation and fat cat game! Slowly working back to "cash is king".

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

Almost as bad as the cats that bust open their 401K's to buy boats and motors!

Here's the deal, if everybody would just save their money and buy what they could actually pay for (that means cold hard cash, aka...real money), these rediculous prices you guys are discussing would suddenly be reasonable. When every Tom, Dick, and Harry can pop loans for money they don't have, prices skyrocket...it's falsely inflated markets based on fake money and fake demand and a financially ignorant society. We go through 12 years of public education and not one mandatory basic finance class....go figure!

Add to that, low interest rates so the fat cats can keep the game going, and you've got the devaluation of currency! Therefore, your 70K bassboat is like a 25K bassboat! It's really just so silly, but our entire economy is built on debt/fake money and the average american doesn't understand nor care about their real socioeconomic place in the world. They just want everything and they want it now.

In saying all that, you come down here to the Refining/Chemical Plant Texas Gulf Coast, you can't find anything but new 70K bass and bay boats. More rich people than ever, countered with more poor people than ever.

Only good thing for a cash and carry cat like myself,,,,,,,,,,,the market is flooding with really nice preowned merchandise where an ignoramous ate the depreciation and fat cat game! Slowly working back to "cash is king".
Part of the problem Hullbilly! Good thoughts all around!

My cousin worked as finance manager at an upscale car dealership..... his take on things? You see the guy with the diamond rings and the Mr. T gold chains and the Rolex watch - he ain't got a pot to pizz in... you see the farmer with coveralls and chicken chit between his toes? That's the guy with money!!!!!!

Alli-drenaline Rush

What a wild stretch that statement is, especially since that clean water act is nothing but trash!

Fact #1: There is nothing either in the EPA, CARB or EU outboard emissions legislation that will ban the use of any outboard motor on any waterway. EPA, CARB and EU do set limits for engines to be sold by the effected date of legislation. The legislation enacted by the U.S. and The California Air Resource Board (CARB) as well as EU Recreational craft directive REGULATE EMISSIONS not 2-stroke design.

Oh,,,one other goodie while we're on the pyscho talk............to think this bullchit was passed under a Conservative POTUS. Go figure.

Fact is that manufacturers love to build bigger and more expensive products, where they can charge the consumer even more! What does a ford dealer make more money on...you got it....the King Ranch....not the XLT. I still fish out of a 1991 20 ft. Champion bassboat bought and paid for the day we hooked onto it. You could hang a locomotive on the transom and still be just fine. Furthermore, the boat itself will do anything a 21 or 22 footer will do. Heck,,,Champion tossed out a 22 footer before anybody even thought about a 4-stroke outboard. I was surprised when they didn't sell like hotcakes.

BOTTOMLINE:

The boat builders build bigger boats and the engine builders build bigger engines cause that's what the average cat thinks he needs/wants. Yep, the neighbor has a 20 footer, so I'll one up him with a 21 ft. The guy next to me in the ramp as a 21 and man it looks soooo much better, think I'll upgrade. Skeet Reese has a 21 and yellow fishin pole....think I'll take one of each. The manufacturer produces it for the american consumer who can't get enough....bigger is better and it don't matter what it cost cause I'll just pop a loan baby....and the Bankers just laugh while they count their billions and trillions.
EPA may not directly regulate 2-stroke design, but I suspect that they impact the viability of the design when they start testing catalytic converters on o/b engines in CA to reduce emissions. Which brings me to the next point..... the EPA do not know when to quit...... why all of these regulations to mandate low-permeability gas tanks, gas lines and bulbs when you and I both know that unburnt hydrocarbons exiting tailpipes FAR exceeds the volume of fugitive emissions from boaters' equipment.... I think we should call it like the other guys on the board are saying..... FEDERAL OVER-REACH..... sure nobody wants a Cuyahoga River, but there has got to be some reasonable limit to the Federal inquisition.......

Alli-drenaline Rush

BOTTOMLINE:

CARB is a voice of reason in the desert, and POTUS 43 had bigger fish to fry....

Bobalouie

As a former engineer at Mother Merc, I can tell you that Alli-D is right on about CARB legislating and effecting the viability of design. They mandated Cats on inboard boats without even knowing that the Coast Gaurd regs state that no component on an inboard engine that can be touched can be hotter than 200 deg F. Kind of hard to design a cat system that normally runs at 800+ deg to be cooler than 200 deg, not to mention block cooling water is normally dumped in the exhaust, which will kill a cat post haste. We had a 2 year window to get the tech figured out before the legislation was to be enforced.

That is what we are dealing with. People who have no idea what the level of technology is, how long it is going to take to get there, nor what the real problems are. There had to be lower hanging fruit to pick before mandating cats on boat engines.

Alli-drenaline Rush

As a former engineer at Mother Merc, I can tell you that Alli-D is right on about CARB legislating and effecting the viability of design. They mandated Cats on inboard boats without even knowing that the Coast Gaurd regs state that no component on an inboard engine that can be touched can be hotter than 200 deg F. Kind of hard to design a cat system that normally runs at 800+ deg to be cooler than 200 deg, not to mention block cooling water is normally dumped in the exhaust, which will kill a cat post haste. We had a 2 year window to get the tech figured out before the legislation was to be enforced.

That is what we are dealing with. People who have no idea what the level of technology is, how long it is going to take to get there, nor what the real problems are. There had to be lower hanging fruit to pick before mandating cats on boat engines.
Yep - lawyer types and egg-heads living in a bubble..... It's ok to go on a cruise on a ship burning 100 gal of diesel per mile, or fly X thousand people to Durban to talk about saving the planet, but God forbid we let 1oz of fuel leak through a gas line per year because it is not "low-permeability!" The sheer arrogance and stupidity is mind-boggling.....

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kinda like the diesel trucks that keep getting 'cleaner', but the mileage goes to heck. My old '91 Dodge Cummins was hard to get a tank under 20mpg when it was stock. The new diesels have to be driven very gingerly to even get close to that. I think my best tank on the '91 was just over 25mpg. My '07 5.9 won't get near that, and the new ones make mine look like a fuel miser. How can the mileage going down by 40% be better for the earth?

allison8503

You are dead on about the diesel trucks. One of my very best friends bought a brand new 2011 loaded out duramax. A very nice truck that was bought with cash and drove it for 4 months and when it never got better than 13.5 mpg he had enough and ripped all the exhaust, factory ecu, injectors, and put on all the after market race stuff, and now averages 26. I wounder if the EPA has figured out what creates more actual pollution. The diesel trucks getting 26 mpg's or the drilling Riggs and refineries having to produce double the amount for each vehicle? I don't know the answer.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Alli-drenaline Rush "Richard" is a chemical engineer for shell oil... Don't get him all fired up now!!!!! Lol. Give us the real scoop Richard....

Roy
LOL Roy - I'm just an ole country boy scratching out a cornbread living......

But sell me a few quarts of pie, stick around and you might witness a few Freudian slips!!!!!