am I stuck with hydraullic?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Joe, I turn the wheel all the way to the stop then keep trying to turn it as hard as I can, then repeat the process in the other direction. "Monkey Grip" is a term my son and I somehow picked up when referring to overtightening a nut or bolt. As in, "you don't have to give it the monkey grip" (or you do, as the job might require.)

SLOmofo

What you are doing is developing more hyd pressure then the bypass valving can hold. You'll feel/ hear it squeeze by. Then the steering effort will be increased for a while until the over pressure is bled off. It takes quite a bit of effort to do, thus the monkey grip in Lou's words.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hey, I don't know the technicalities behind the practice, but I was told it "bleeds" air out of the system and it DOES reduce play at the slave cylinder for awhile.

Bobalouie

I do the same thing 2fast. I like the tighter feel when running fast, plus it allows me to recenter the wheel, since I use the trim on the wheel.

Lotus 50

Stuck with hydraulic? I'd sell the dual cable from my SS2000. I'm going hydraulic. I need to preserve my left shoulder.