am I stuck with hydraullic?

Speedman

got a 94 xb2002 that went in the water for the first time in 3 years last weekend. I have owned the boat since 95 and replaced the dual steering cables once, they are now super tight and lubing didn't seem to help. I also heard they no longer make the dual opposing steering cables any more so does that mean I should finally get hydraullic? I used to follow all the talk here but a bad divorce ( I did get to keep the Ally) and now being a single dad has made it hard to find the time anymore, ( plus I bought a jet boat which is way better in the shallow river I live on?. Anyways, the last time I thought abut hydraullic was right after Darris had worked with seastar on a newew better pump so can someone tell me what I should get? there was also an issue with some fitting not being aligned right and folks having to turn it 180 degrees? bring me up to speed guys! Thanks, Gary

BGohr

I have a real nice set I pulled out of a grandsport, what length are in the bassboat

jas638

Banned
well, i probably have a lot less time in an allison seat than most of these guys here . i bought my gs it had cables. they were in mint condition. my old hydrostreams all had cables. they were all i drove.cause i didnt know anybetter and didnt have the money back then. in my opinion fighting to hold on to a steering wheel at 90-100+ mph SUCKS!!!!! INFACT IT IS STUPID AND DANGEROUS!!!! there were a few guys on here who went hydraulic. so before i learned my boat on cables i went hydraulic. wow what a different world. i actually enjoy driving the boat now. no more numbness from choking the wheel,and i can drive and drink a beverage(coffee or tea) at up to 90mph (on a calm day). the fitting isnt a problem ,you can if you want turn them .i left mine alone hooked it all up and viola' .(helps to have a buddy when ya bled it).buy the kit from allison! its a little better. 6345 ram . there is a little play in the system 1/16-1/8 inch but it is normal. you wont feel it .the only hydraulic that is rock solid is lathem but they are thousands of dollars. ya dont need it .seastar works fine.matter of fact once you go hydraulic you will get spoiled ,you wont want to drive or buy any boat without it!!! so dont waste your time and money fixing or replacing cables.sell all your good parts and put that money towards a seastar. you will be glad ya did!!!!! sorry guys not trying to squash anybodys sales but just trying to give my honest opinion.

brotherxb03

I took out my cables and put seastar pro in on my xb03 before I rigged it, had a few other bass boats with rack and pinion type or rotary anti feed back and I'll take hydralic over them any time.

F2008

Gary, I'm another vote for going hydraulic. I'd also suggest the #6345 steering cylinder (the Darris improved model) I've got to admit, when I replaced mine with the 6345 I really didn't notice any difference, but it is stronger by design. The fitting alignment issue you're referring to I think is, when new, both hose fittings on the front of the steering cylinder face the same direction, ....which is fine if you're rigging a side steer boat. If you're rigging an XB2002 center steer installation and you're running one hose down each side of the boat to the helm then having one fitting facing each direction makes for a neater installation. When I did mine I removed the fitting and re-sealed it facing the opposite direction. This way the hose comes off the fitting, makes a strain relief loop and enters the hull.

resqu-u

I'll add another vote to just go hydraulic. Best money you'll ever spend! Do it once and be done.

Speedman

o.k so where should I buy it from? and yes I have a side steer but dual opposing cables so do I need to adjust the fittings on one of the hoses and what do you seal it with?

F2008

Allison.
I don't see why you couldn't do it with the hoses running down and exiting on the same side, if you do it that way you shouldn't have to turn the steering cylinder fitting. When I removed the fitting I re-sealed it with Permatex thread sealant.

Speedman

ok, so I have decided to sell her, should I invest the money in hydraullic and get it steering like a ferrari or adjust the price down? Problem is that it is so tight now, it takes 2 hands just to turn it and it is an arm killer above 70. I know the yahoos around here, will think there is something wrong with it, if they try to drive a tight steering boat. what do you think?

Lotus 50

I think my steering is too tight and I'm going hydraulic. My 'family ski' boat has hydraulic and it's very nice.

GotMyAlly

It'll cost you about $1k to put hydraulic in it. Probably won't add much of anything to the value, but will likely make it sell faster.

allisonriverrat

If selling boat DO. NOT invest a dime.. Odds are buyer is going to try to beat you down anyway as is older boat ... Why loose the money. Been there done that.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I have had Allisons with the cables, race cables, and hydraulic. My Grandsport has hydraulic. it's easy to drive but I have to tell you I hate it. I'd rather have the feedback from the motor and if I'm having to "fight" that wheel at 90+, something is wrong with my setup and I can't blame the steering means. The hydraulic gives you NO idea of what's going on with the stresses at the motor's connecting point (pivot bolt) and the other things I hate about hydraluic are as follows:

1. Those blasted "turn signal" trim levers. Either they are accidentally getting bumped by a finger on the wheel as you correct for chine walk or when you stand up in the boat a knee hits one and up goes the motor out of the water unintentionally. Have never overcome these two problems on the GSE. Plus, IMHO, dangerous not to have the trim buttons on the wheel in a boat capable of over 100mph.

2. Despite having a brand new helm assembly and brand new hydraulic cylinder and endless bleeding, there is still play in the steering of about 1/8" back and forth in the slave cylinder which translates to about 3/8" at the skeg. This likewise sucks. Now...I have seen plenty of hyd Allisons that have ZERO play. I'm just pissed because no matter what I've tried, I cannot get mine to behave that way. However, what I do before each outing is to turn the system all the way to the stops in each direction and give it the monkey grip, which bleeds the system and eliminates 90% of the play.

The GSE has a 200XS SS and is capable of less than 90mph. Although it makes for an easier drive and is good for a family boat, I don't want and refuse to accept the trade-offs from tactile, cable steering in my 2002 or other boats. Just my opinion. The cables tell me what's up at the motor in terms of torque and stress.

I'm a dinosaur and what do I know. Except that an Allison is a MAN'S boat and if you can't handle the wheel, let a girl drive it. :LMAO: