Allison GS Counter Weight %

hemi2005

Has anyone ever come up with an equation for adding counter weights to the passenger side for proper balance? Let's say that someone weighs 190 lbs. How much weight would make the boat run level? Or are there too many variables and it just becomes trial and error?

Last edited:

michael j giesler

start off with 50lb in the left side compartment you can go up or down from there i run anywhere from 50 to 75 pending on wind and fuel hope this helps just do it a little at a time i weight anywhere from 185to210

whipper

The percent would be an interesting tool. But as you said so many variables. The weight of ones battery for instance. They do vairy maybe not alot but some. What you normally carry on the starboard side besides you. eq anchore, fishing box cooler ect..

Im 225-230 used 2x lead shot bags at 25 each pluss a 15 lb dumbell. So 65 lbs. Brian who I bought mine from 7 years ago used the 2 lead shot bags he was 185 at the time. So 50 lbs. I think what Michael said would be great for you. 50. Its nice to have 15 lbs of that portable. That way when ya have a passanger you can throw it over on your side in the back compartment to stay balanced. You can run without doing that with a passanger but she will run WAY better countering the added weight of a passanger again by just throwing a 15 lber over to your side. Thats what the dumbell was for. Just grab it and move it over. Done and works for anyone from 170-210.

Since I went side steer on my GS I was able to loose 40lbs of counter. That little over of me at the helm off set that much!! I only run with 25 lbs now.

Last edited:

whipper

230 - 27% = 62lbs

200- 27% = 54lbs

180- 27% = 48.6lbs

Hmmm might be the number to use. If more GS owners would verify what they use and can accually get away with Im betting 27% of your body weight looks about right give or take a few lbs.

hemi2005

Michael J Giesler, thank you for the input. That sounds like what I've heard from others.... Whipper that's what I"m looking for and it might be helpful to others in the future as well. 27% sounds really close with the weight that you and I have discussed in the past. I'm anxiuos to get the rest of my counter weights made so that I can give it a try. I'm going to start with the 50lbs as suggested and go from there. Thank you both for the valuable information!! :big grin

procomp

I"m around 175 and I run 2 bags of shot and its not quite enough. I lean a little to the center and its fine. Battery in the rear port side at the front. I'm adding a remote trimp pump this year for the 280 and I'll put it on the port side too. Might be enough.

harrells

I just put my son in the passenger seat, work's fine for me. I do have one of those water bladders that wakeboard boats use, it holds 75lbs of water completely full and will fit in the passenger seat. Brand new in box $45.00 TYD.

racerx

That blue looks great on your GS,,I have a xr2002 side steer and have a 25lb bag of shot on the left side just in front of seat jambed way over on left side,sometimes you might have to lean your head over,if its like Geislers big...

hemi2005

Thanks for the compliment racerx. :at the bar ...I can't speak for anyone's noggin sizes, but I appreciate all of the input. :big grin

racerx

Is that the petty blue,i know they also had a blue they been using in the later years,then in the mid 90s they had one called bahama blue,,,,is your blue outlined in black,sure looks good...

hemi2005

Thanks racerx for the kind words on the blue. It's not a color that Allison uses. I put blue powdercoated bezels behind my gauges and wanted to find a color close to that. I took one of the bezels to my local paint supplier and found a blue that was very close in one of their chip books. The color scheme is factory from Allison in 1991.

TBuck2003

Hemi,
As stated start with 50 or so. But I would put 25lbs in where the cooler is , the other 25 in the gunnel as far forward as you can slide it. If you need more I put it in the front passenger seat... Good Luck

TBuck

hemi2005

Thanks for the advise TBuck2003. I just got more lead in today and hope to have it ready to put in the boat soon. :very happy

ziemer

I use 25lb of shot in the port side gunnel. With that and a small cooler, I've got plenty of counter weight and I'm about 180. Also, the farther forward and further to the left you can get the weight the more effective it will be.

My battery is in the far left rear of the boat behind the lip of the compartment. I also have my trim pump mounted on the left side, but in the center compartment.

For my seat, I rotated the slide 90 degrees and slide my seat as far left as it will go. Basically, it touches the passenger seat.

FYI, with a full 48 qt cooler, I can leave the weight in the middle.

hemi2005

Thank you for that information Ziemer. I'll have to start playing with weight as soon as I can get it back in the water, these numbers give me alot to work with. It's much appreciated.

Honda92

Off topic.. Well Kinda! But here is the Mid 90's Bahama Blue!