Allison boats and the Shrinkage Factor...

G Allen

If you lived where I did it would be easy to think of. It's still a bass boat, too! Huge props to Dubmoney for his unfailing, loyal mentoring to aid me on my quest.

Now to explain the pics...

Top is the whole enchilada.

Next one down has one of the rodholder style downrigger mounts. Flip up the rubber plug, and it's a surface trolling rodholder, drop in the male part with a Cannon digi-troll downrigger mounted on a swivel base, you are ready to troll at a set depth, or have the ball go up and down as the boat moves forward over a flat or undulating bottom to keep your presentation a set number of feet or inches off the bottom, just stick a connector cable from the Digi-troll to the ethernet junction box located inside the console hatch. Likely I won't be using that feature often, but easy to do any time. The Humminbird Helix 10 control head wired to that junction box sets the downriggers' varying depth for that bottom tracking function. Underneath the console hatch hinge is a small round 12v Cannon remote power plug with the rubber cover closed to keep the water out. Both sides' downrigger mounts have their own power plugs. Above the hatch hinge is a clip for the bimini top, while fishing I'll be in the passenger ass bucket with my legs stretched out under that top out of the high altitude sun (that has twice the UV as sea level) sipping a cold one while steering and controlling the speed of the Ultrex troll motor with a cell phone sized remote keypad. When the huge wakes from the pig boats (wake surf/wakeboard maggots) come by the bucket will support my back so that my sciatica won't flare up like it used to after a day on the water sitting on the front post seat with my foot stuck to the motor control pedal. All those pedal functions can be taken care of from the remote keypad. While facing forward from my throne if I see fish taking emerging mayflies on the surface I can steer my presentation towards them, as well as instantly detect a bite on one of the rods in the downriggers' rodholders in front on either side of me. That helix 10 control head is set on top of a RAM mount, the screen is big enough to see from anywhere in the boat, and the detail is sharp enough in the mega function for each branch of an underwater tree or shrub to be clearly defined. The rear most front deck hatch covers the front livewill, with the factory installed timed aerator still working perfectly. The 5 minute setting can keep even fragile trout alive and frisky for hours. Can release them at the dock in great condition and watch them sprint away instead of floating belly up dead or dying.

Below that pic the 24v 45 inch shaft Ultrex is displayed. On the bottom of the motor head is the HB wide ultra 'ducer. Mounted to the shaft and connected to both power and ethernet is the 360 transducer that scans in a 150 foot radius on all sides of the boat. I can set it to only show an arc in front of the boat, fish anywhere in the water column up to 150 feet in front can be spotted and steered toward.

A factory built less then 40 hour 2001 vintage 225 powerhead is being prepared for shipping. It has quite a few goodies bolted on that will add to more HP and way more than 40 amps for charging. Will have a two piece exhaust adapter plate and 260 tuner. So that will have a more typical Allison boat speed at my 6200-8200 ft altitude home reservoirs, as well as not be as heavy as an opti block or 4 stroke motor. Might have a new gearcase soon in order to handle more power than the present 1988 Titus 2/1 coned preload gearcase can. The push is to get everything finished before the waters get their annual sheets of ice. In the past I have trolled next to those sheets from open water besides them, some dodgers and diving planers pull presentation sideways and down, under the sheet where the ambushing quarry is lurking...sometimes the rod has to be dipped into the water to retrieve line because the holes in the guides freeze solid with ice. BRRRR!!! Hot toddy weather! White gas stove can simmer for hours...

Last edited:

G Allen

Only got to run it a half dozen times before the water froze. Impressive!

G Allen

Update...has been a few months and the honeymoon period has been impressive in a good way. The new powerhead is eager to run, and having the extra charging capacity afforded by the Simon charging kit installed on it was helpful when the starter battery got drained enough from the downriggers and finders that the big finder stopped running. As it worked out, at that voltage the Merc had zero trouble spinning over and starting quickly. One of the ideas I had in my head was to throw a Generac IQ2000 portable genny on the back deck and connect it to the MK 3 way charger built in the boat for charging while trolling. So today I had a chance to try it out, and when the starter battery got low after several hours of trolling I fired it up and plugged in the charger while everything as running on a trolling pass. The generator was quiet enough that turning up the stereo a bit was all that was necessary. after around two hours of steady trolling with both downriggers running I turned off the generator and trolled for another two hours, the charge recovery was significant, and the genny was running with only fractional throttle, close to 6 hours continuous charging is available in that situation on a one gallon gas tank. That model is quieter than the equivalent from Honda...

The placement of the downriggers turned out to be great, no problems. One effect is that with the downriggers mounted there seems to be more lateral stability with regard to wanting to chine walk at higher speeds, more stable with the downriggers mounted, a bit of a surprise. More trim is needed to lift the nose, but there was enough from the Hydromotive wheel to lift the bow enough for the boat to skedaddle down lake at regular fishing load speeds.

The Helix 10 is great fish finder. but the 360 transducer is useless in deep water. Best when used in water shallower than 60-80 feet. The Ultrex turned out to be a fantastic bit of equipment that really made the whole multi species concept work as well as it did. The spot lock is great, and the auto pilot is a godsend when letting line out and dropping downrigger balls down to depth. There is enough speed to troll plugs, and with the genny connected to the charger I can troll against the wind if it changes direction in the middle of a pass.

Today the weather came up, it rained for a couple-three hours, the bimini top REALLY came in handy, we sat in the bucket seats under it and controlled the bowmount trolling motor with the remote keypad.. wow, dry warm and comfy in a long rain on a bass boat? yeah! Then the sun came out and started baking us, except that the bimini kept us cool in the shade.

There is no need to change anything, the concepts worked out very well. The boat fishes very effectively, it is smooth riding in chop, gets great fuel economy and is fast enough to shrink the lakes it is on very well...I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out.

SLOmofo

That's excellent Gary! Very impressive to say the least. I would have enjoyed seeing it in action... maybe next year at the WAR 2020.

On another note....
." The 5 minute setting can keep even fragile trout alive and frisky for hours. Can release them at the dock in great condition and watch them sprint away instead of floating belly up dead or dying. "
Check Fish and Game laws before keeping live trout, white bass etc... In California it's against the rules and a big fine when you get caught !

G Allen

I experimented some with salmonids in the livewell. At anything less than the three minute setting they did not last if there was more than two fish. At the 3 minute setting they were frisky but it did help to lift the lid every half hour or two to get some fresh air over the well. It's also against Utah law to release fish once they have been put in a livewell. But in one case I did run into a sad couple at the boat dock at the end of the day that had not caught any fish despite an all day effort out in their boat. So I let the guy catch the two frisky rainbows out of the livewell while I was getting the truck. A few minutes before I had a hard time getting a hand on either of them.

WAR 2000...I think that the best way for me to succeed at that water for salmon and trout is to drive to where a guide service fishes for salmon and trout on the first day and hire a guide to learn some viable spots and see if they go with what I have thought from reading the lake map. I have the feeling that 90 percent of that lake won't have the kokes and blackmouth salmon I'm after. If I were smarter next time I'd get there a day early along with Whitney. I'm bringing some Blue Marble, Ring Free and some plastic gas tanks and cans for premix, less trips offsite for getting gas.

Here in Utah, the final chapter needs to happen that the boat is set up for...landing a 20 plus pound Mack at Flaming Gorge.

SLOmofo

I have had one of these in the Champion for years.
Also one that emits micro bubbles without a pump, basically splits the hydrogen and oxygen from the water that's in the live well. Just hooked it to the battery.
The one with the pump takes air from outside the live well and introduces it into the live well. When I fished tournaments, once 3 keepers were in the live well I ran the pumps constantly when the water was warm, on the timer in the winter. Very seldom lost a fish. If a fish died I put it on a stringer and kept it in the splash well. A dead fish in the live well will cause the live fish to stress and die.
For Lake Shasta help I would contact the people at Phil's Props, they should be able to answer most question you have. If you go to Phil's don't take your wallet. It'a small tackle shop loaded with all kinds of stuff to buy.

G Allen

Awesome! I had heard of some fancy oxygenators but did not know squat about them. I did go to Phil's...it was a scary cool place. Amazing inventory of niche and regular items.

Speaking of electricity...It's a shame to have close to 300 pounds of batteries in my ride, although it needs every bit of energy that those group 29's dish out. Hopefully I will be able to afford to upgrade to lithiums. Still have some due diligence to do as far as finding out their charging needs and limits and finding an on board charging system that will be compatible with my motor's 60-65 amp charging capability. $$$...Whoa! Hoping the market improves for price/value in three years from now when the lead/acids in the boat start to lose significant capacity.

It is beginning to really turn on for kokes here. Have been on the water 2-3 times a week lately. Smoked 3 little ones over apple wood chunks on top of the coals for 2 hours in a wet smoker for dinner last night. The meat itself is very rich in flavor even without putting it on the smoker. Awesome for sushi.

Have a spare bedroom, Gary, come on out to ski bum country. I need a fishing partner for a Flaming Gorge fishing trip of a lifetime, smallies, kokes, bows, burbot, macks… First week of August...an annual thang...camping by the water away from every one else's generators except mine. It is the very end of the time for the life cycle before they start to turn orange the very next week. They are at the very peak of growth and taste then. Lots of four pounders to be caught there, particularly up north in the Wyoming end. The terrain above and below water is a pretty amazing geologic display. My secret camping spot sits right next to where the state record 50 plus pound mack was caught. After limiting out on the kokes, it's time to sit on top of and jig some pigs. I have a bunch of friends who camp in the RV campgrounds close by the dam. It's a bit competitive among us...and one of my buddies and musical bandmate hates my boat because it goes so much faster than his Crestliner 1850 Sportfish/Yammie 150/ 6 troller Walleye boat, it's funny to hear him characterize me "going by doing 70" with a big rooster tail. I was only going low 50's...c'mon, man! Cookie cutter owner with Allison envy. Waaaah.

G Allen

Just got back from Flaming Gorge. A bunch of music playing' fish slayin' Koke filleting' camping buddies, wives, girlfriends totaling around 20 or so were there for a week. The lake was busy midweek, surprisingly so. The XTB-21 proved to be a world beater on that water. The crew was staying close to the dam, way on the southern end in Utah. I knew that the bigger fish were on the Wyoming side so halfway through I pulled up stakes, left that awesome comfy Firefighter's Memorial Campground and launched out of the sheep Creek boat ramp area and found a spot to camp beside the water in the back of a remote bay. The next day I went north to the Wyoming side and found some Kokes. The first fish I caught early in the morning was a great fighter! He measured 20 inches long and was growing the male Salmon elongated snout. Turned out that the first time guy in the Allie boat caught the biggest Koke of the trip...

Another thing that I learned was how to get the timing for those subtle steering inputs to keep the boat from trying to wash the sides off between 60 and 70. On one of those mornings there was glass for over 20 miles, gave me a good opportunity to open 'er up a bit. Fuel economy was outstanding, and the only boat that had a speed advantage was a 35 foot ciggy.

SLOmofo

"Another thing that I learned was how to get the timing for those subtle steering inputs to keep the boat from trying to wash the sides off between 60 and 70. "

Most excellent Grass Hopper. Wax on, Wax off ! Bump, bump, bump......