Alisyn Progear 21 Zero Weight

Allyfishing

Hi guys
I posted this over on fastbass.com and I'm going to ask it here:

"OK, I'm throwing this out there....

What's the skinny on this gear oil?/ I have read good things about it on S&F where they tested it a few years ago and came back with the results after 2 years of brutal testing and use and it is the cats nutz for less friction and producing more usable HP to the prop and increased speed AND no internal wear on gears etc..

The big question, can it be used in our sporty's surfacing props for everyday use running Allisons, Strokers, Bullets, etc. and if so how often must it be changed out or can it be left in for a season and then drained and replaced like normal. maintenance."

thanks
Craig

I figured there had to be some racers here that may know about this product. I bought some for my sporty and was cautioned it may not be for recreational use and cannot be left in throughout the season.
Help me out here. :big grin

aaronmt

Ive tried it in 2 lowerunits.Both of which did not last.If you start the boat in agear and its not recreational boat MAYBE itll work if ya change it everytime out.As far as a boat that goes into reverse and forward all the time its a no go for me.

tomoad

I will stay with the Merc hi performane lube. I wouldn't run the 0 wt, but thats just my opinion.

ziemer

I think it offers a slight advantage in a racing application (very slight) yet for day to day lake riding and cruising it isn't worth it.

I ran it for a little while drag racing, but only for a few races. One thing that concerned me was that it always had a metallic look to it when drained, and have been told that it is fine on the gears but rough on the bearings hence the metallic look in the fluid.

I've always had great luck with the Mercury High Performance gear oil both in racing and lake boat applications. :beer:

Oh yeah, if you run the 0 wt, it will let you know in a hurry if you have any leaks.

whipper

Im with Ziemer on this also. I ran it for two years and never really noticed a differance other than the fact because of the Zero wieght you have to change it out way more often!! I will stick with the Merc Gear lube for lake aplications. Ive used there products for a couple of years now off and on. Seems good and doesnt seem to hurt anything. Thats why merc oil is what Im useing again now. More readly available when i need it and it doesnt hurt anything iether. I had 10 gals of there motor oil. When I would run out of merc i would add my oil at home before going to the gas station now and then untill I could make it to town to by some merc again. No differance in performance that I noticed. The test on S&F they did with the STV had very small gains that could have been the weather they were so small or the operator took a pee just before the run and wieght a lb less.:wink I would say if you get a screaming deal on it why not try it if its cheeper than merc stuff. Use it once and a while and see for your self. I dont think it will hurt anything but you have to change it out after a good week of use i was told. Were as Merc HP lube your good for a month or so. That sorta eliminates the savings. I got a free sample with my Motor Oil Jug. Maybe try there Synthetic oil and see if they will will through in a Zero gear lub to try for free from the rep. Then use the Motor oil as a stand by. I mixed there Synthetic with Merc semi a few times and that accually seemed to work well?

Last edited:

bigtis

I use it in my drag racing and top end applications only, and I change it frequently. so far so good, but I'd stay with a heavy weight oil like merc or royal purple if it's a recreational case.

Allyfishing

Thanks guys!! That's all I had to hear!!

They also make a Type 2 which is 10W-30 & Type 3 which is a heavier weight. Which one is more like Merc Prem gear lube?

Last edited:

pirogue

just like everyone has posted so far, it hardly makes any diff. in drag trim. run the merc premium and forget it.

TBuck2003

Craig,
Could be wrong but I think that test was done in the Fall (colder) In that scenario the zero Weight would have an advantage, due to the thickness of the regular gear lube. We ran it against all sorts of stuff roundy round racing, and no difference at all in lap times...NONE My.02

TBuck

Mr. Scary

IT DEFINITELY is not to be used on OMC gearcases. We blew up a bunch of them using it when it was the hot deal back about 10 years ago. The Mercury's did OK, but OMCs didn't like it at all. We eventually went to a gear oil made by Synergyn which worked AWESOME. It was kind of the opposite - almost gummy, but it was really slick stuff. It was actually a type of machining oil. I don't think Synergyns in business anymore...it was good stuff.

aaronmt

IT DEFINITELY is not to be used on OMC gearcases. We blew up a bunch of them using it when it was the hot deal back about 10 years ago. The Mercury's did OK, but OMCs didn't like it at all. We eventually went to a gear oil made by Synergyn which worked AWESOME. It was kind of the opposite - almost gummy, but it was really slick stuff. It was actually a type of machining oil. I don't think Synergyns in business anymore...it was good stuff.
Cost me 2 Yammie lowers..:sad

propmanjay

I am on my fourth year running Alisyn. I tryed it because Kevin Kraft ran it in his XR6 case for years and swears by it. I run mine as hard as it will run high 9s and on occasion a 100 mile Delta run. I haven't had any debris in the fluid when I change it. I do however change it often, 4 times a season. And I run it on a very light boat.

stoker

I am on my fourth year running Alisyn. I tryed it because Kevin Kraft ran it in his XR6 case for years and swears by it. I run mine as hard as it will run high 9s and on occasion a 100 mile Delta run. I haven't had any debris in the fluid when I change it. I do however change it often, 4 times a season. And I run it on a very light boat.
Jay,I think most peeps on here are referring to the type6 oil that is 0<< wieght??
this stuff pours like water and i would only use in a drag race application
I use the next thicker viscosity level which i think is type5 for my lake use??

Allyfishing

Progear 21 Type 1 is the zero weight. And I believe the Type 3 is the 80 weight.

I called the company and spoke with a tech guy for quite a while about the product and its uses. He assures me that running the Zero weight product is suited for recreational use and he knows of many many boaters using it in their sportmasters on fishing boats and the high performance Allisons, Strokers, Butllets and such. And he assured me that filling up the gearcase in the beginning of the season and draining it out to refill at the end of the season is the norm. RPM gains of up to 200RPM's are not uncommon. Oh and I mentioned that my max RPM's are no higher than 6900-7000 and he just chuckled. His comment was to just put it in and leave it for the season with no problems. He did say that as long as the internals are already in healthy condition he advises to use it with no problems.

He advises the off shore guys to use the 80 weight because of the constant waves jumping they endure. That weight has more shock absorption qualities.

So, I guess it is just a matter of opinion and now one is wrong or right. I already bought some and he was more than willing to have me ship it back for a refund if I was still uncomfortable using it. I will put it in after I drain and service my sporty and use it next season and will report back periodically on how it is going. I'll be the guinea pig!!

Allyfishing

Voice of reason, eh? LOL!!! But Alisyn Progear 21 was not tested, so.....??? I know, I'm just being a bug.

Volatile

We've run it for years on end ( the zero weight) in race and recreational gearcases with no issues. Mercury's.
To test even further, we swapped out the rear end lube in our Toyota Tundra 6years ago and installed 3/4 zero weight and 1/4 80weight Alisyn. Changed it this past summer. Looked great. Gears looked great as well. We have 240,000+ on the truck and when we switched to Alisyn we gained over 1mpg and some NOTICEABLE acceleration. Its great stuff and we'd recommend it for average use if you change it once per year ( which you should anyway on a performance lower of any kind).
Klotz also makes a 30weight thats very good if you want to get away from the very light oil. Or you can mix it to thicken the viscosity if you prefer.

Allyfishing

We've run it for years on end ( the zero weight) in race and recreational gearcases with no issues. Mercury's.
To test even further, we swapped out the rear end lube in our Toyota Tundra 6years ago and installed 3/4 zero weight and 1/4 80weight Alisyn. Changed it this past summer. Looked great. Gears looked great as well. We have 240,000+ on the truck and when we switched to Alisyn we gained over 1mpg and some NOTICEABLE acceleration. Its great stuff and we'd recommend it for average use if you change it once per year ( which you should anyway on a performance lower of any kind).
Klotz also makes a 30weight thats very good if you want to get away from the very light oil. Or you can mix it to thicken the viscosity if you prefer.
This gentleman I talked to at Alisyn also uses the Zero weight engine oil in his Corvette now for the past several years and has increased his MPG average also. I also asked if the gearcase needs to be flushed out first before adding the Zero weight and it was an emphatic "NO". What little bit of Merc oil that stays behind in the bearings will mix well with their product and not cause any harm or breakdown of either fluid. the next drain and refill be be all Zero weight.

I was told by one user that with the Zero weight if you spin your prop on the trailer and walk away it will continue spinning long after it would have stopped with the regular gear oil in it. Of course he mentioned that yo will hear the bearings more clearly. :gasp

GotMyAlly

Most of my experience with gears comes from trucks and 4x4's and setting up differentials, but based on what I have learned in that arena.....there's no way I'd put 0 wt oil in my truck diffs, or my motors lower unit. The only way I'd run 0 wt is if I had a drag motor on a light hull and there was money on the line. For a short passes it may not shorten the life enough to matter. But on a fishin boat, especially a heavy 21 footer, I can't imagine there being any performance gain, so why risk considerably shortening the life expectancy of your gearset?