? About driving and handling

jonesy

I am getting ready to get my first ally very soon but i keep reading about learning to drive, hooking and so on. I am looking at xb2003 for fishing and family. I have had hydro sport which drove good for what it was and I liked it . now I am driving a triton 190fs which is pretty rough and it dont like much over 60mph its not real responsive and chines constantly. With that said what can I expect out of a xb2003, what is the learning curve like . I want this boat for fishing , towing my kids in tube and running around the lakes. Kentucky and barkley mostly. I'm would like my son and wife to be able to drive the boat without making me worry. what can I expect in handling , most running would not be WO but being able to cruse around 60 would be nice and faster when i am in the mood to play. and as most know kentucky lake can get pretty nasty at times. I just want to know what to expect. any info or comments would be appreciated. Thank you David

Lotus 50

Several of my extended family occasionally drive my SS2000. Some have no V bottom experience, and some a lot. No one can clear 70, but low 60s seems achievable to most without much seat time. Fast enough to have fun. When they push it further, they wash the gunnels, but nothing bad happens. I don't worry about them doing bat turns, they can't drive fast enough to create the risk. I think this makes it a safer boat than one in which a novice can go extremely fast.

We use the boat for a lot of skiing and a bit of tubing. No one has trouble with driving duty.

As for me, it took a while to learn to drive, but not an unreasonable time. I'm close to 90 now, which is fast enough for me. The first time out I couldn't even reach 60.

GotMyAlly

You mentioned that your triton was not real responsive at speed. An XB03 is the opposite. It is very responsive. A blip on the trim will pop the nose up considerably. It only takes slight inputs in the steering wheel to keep it balanced. Most newbies are more prone to overcorrecting.

F2008

By no means am I an expert. I put my Allison in the water for the first time ever in the spring of last year.

I started out with an OMC 150, that may have helped. Took me until the third time out before I learned how to keep from washing the sides. October I put a 225 ProMax on it and the method is the same, it just goes a lot faster quicker. :wink Now it's just plain fun to drive.

Take your time, don't push it, and I agree completely, don't over-correct! You'll get tired of hearing it, but it's true, ....practice.

amosXB03

There is a learning curve coming from another boat, but the curve is based on the performance, the triton and hydra sports boats are nice but your talking a boat that is pushing the limits in the low 70s with all the motor it can tote. The allison with the same motor will out accelerate, turn, and be at least 10 mph faster on the top end if not more. A 225 on most of these boats may hit high 70s (with a gps) not the factory speedo, the 225 on mine will clip 90. With that being said the allison will run with a smaller motor. I have never hooked my XB2003. The XB2003 PST is a great all around boat, if I tournament fished I might consider a different model. I can ride five with the two buckets and the rear bench, pull the kids around some, and haul butt when I want too.

The pad of the boat is the biggest difference, it gets up on the pad quickly, and keeps getting higher as the speed increases until there is very little wetted surface at full throttle. Depending on the motor the allison will be one of the fastest boats on the lake. I as many owners here take a lot of pride in our rigs, and enjoy when someone thinks he has a fast boat maybe even a bigger motor, nothing better than pulling along side of them and then burying the throttle and leaving them. Learning to drive the allison is fun, don't try to push it too hard to fast, get comfortable with the boats handling, and when you feel like you have mastered a speed bump it up a little more. Chopping the throttle at speed is where a lot of folks have problems.

GFinch

It's all about taking baby steps. Learning to walk then to run. Take the time to get the feel for your boat at slow speeds, trim it up, trim it down. Drive into as many different conditions as possible.
Then bump up the speed 5 mph and do it again. And again. The experience/back ground will give you the ability to continue up in speed with confidence/skill.
I couldn't drive my boat with a stock ish 200 on it at first and then was able to run it into the 80s with confidence.
I think the best pointer I can give is, when you are at the chine walk speed, don't look at the bow of the boat, look beyond at the horizon. Let your sight and inner ear give your mind the control for balance, just like riding a bike. If you look at the bow it is already off balance or history compared to the horizon. Act, don't react.

Become as one with your boat, Grasshopper.

jonesy

Thank you to all that are posting, you information is exactly what I am looking for so feel free to ad more. I just need to find the right ally now and get a good set up under it. as soon as they give me some time off work. Thanks David

RedAllison

jonesy I know of a REALLY nice XB2003 that just got traded into C&O today!!! :big grin

Neal (GotMyAlly who posted above) had one of the cleanest, sweetest XB03s you'll find. I don't know what they'll end up hangin on the rear of it (he's keepin his 225X for his new 21 ProSport) but I'm sure they can find you something.

I'm in Jackson, TN and I frequent Paris Landing quite a bit. Once you get a boat call me a week or so ahead of time and I'll meet you up there and by the end of the day you should be clippin 80s easy and safely! (But only in short bursts, I don't recommend a newbie stringin em out for miles until they get a few months and conditions under their belts)

Call Todd or Joe at C&O Monday and ask em about Neal's XB03. :beer:
RA

patches

Jonesy you've got some good advice already. I would highly recommend you take Red up on that offer. Having an experienced Allison driver give you some hands on tips will shorten the learning curve tremendously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whipper

Great feedback. I think the biggest thing right now is buy your boat first and ask questions latter more because youll have a lot then for sure.:big grin The one thing is for sure is yes youll love your Allison as all do and yes there not just fast but "Ultra High Performance Boats".
The seat time thing is just as with any high performance boat really. Like Gary GFinch said you must first learn to walk before you can run. You wouldnt just jump in the seat of any 100+ capable mph boat and think the first time out you can ring er out to her full potential. Thats sorta what the seat time thats talked about means. Youll get it just like we all did and now we can drive our boats to there full potential any time any were conditions being right off course. Its all about respect for the performance. BTW I feel and Im not alone but a 225HP rigged Allison in any model is one of the best all round packages there is. Good luck with your purchace you wont regret it.