'98 Allison XB2003/Mercury FourStroke 115 How well would it do, when matched to a

Billy

I have a 115 mercury pro xs fourstroke on a 2003. Runs 70 to 72 depending on prop and weight. The engine has solid lower motor mounts and low water pick-up. Without these modifications mid sixties would probably be tops.

BigRWater

The engine has solid lower motor mounts and low water pick-up. Without these modifications mid sixties would probably be tops.
Thank you! I wanted to hear something exactly like this.
What & where is the best way to get the modifications done?
I have a puppy that likes going fishing with me, however she does not like all the smoke at the dock from my 2.5L 2 cycle...
I'll be looking forward to any advice on the best way to modify the motor.

Billy

I am in the process of trading my 115 to a 150 pro xs fourstroke. It should run in the upper 70s with much more low end torque. This might be an option you could look at since doing the modifications to the 115 would cost roughly $1500.00. The150 pro xs comes with the low water pick up and rigid motor. When you compare the cost difference you might find the 150 to be the better choice. Either choice will eliminate your smoke problem and be sweet on a 2003.

BigRWater

I love the idea of a 150 but it would add another 100 lbs.
In wind and current, my nephew and I fish standing at the back of the boat with the seat removed. With the 225 Super Magnum (supposedly weighs in at 350 lbs) we easily take water over the back. The 115 weighs 359 lbs, so fishing should be no worse...
(the further forward we stand in the Allison in rough conditions, the more we get thrown around. If you stand up front using spotlock, the Terrova can throw you out of the boat... )
Also there is a rumor out there that you can slow the idle on a 115 and troll plugs! I hope this is true.

Billy

You are right that the 150 is 100 lbs. heavier. My plan is to move trolling motor batteries foward in front of the cross member of boat to off set weight difference, plus I have flotation in the 14 in. jackplate on my boat. I should be rigging mine in the next week or two. My 115 will be for sale. It has only 56 hrs. on it and is mint in every way if you might have an interest.

Wave to Wave

I have the regular Merc 150 four stroke on a Grand Sport. Modified gearcase (stock 1.92 gears) and ProXS upper mounts, it does 80 MPH with a 30" promax. The new 150 proXS is nice, but you'd probably want to swap the gears for 1.75, or 1.85. The Proxs case is a 4.88" with 2.08 gears.

The 115 ProXS is a great little engine, and the CT version uses the 150 1.92 case, so you could swap it for that if you wanted the taller gears.

Last edited:

BigRWater

You are right that the 150 is 100 lbs. heavier. My plan is to move trolling motor batteries foward in front of the cross member of boat to off set weight difference, plus I have flotation in the 14 in. jackplate on my boat. I should be rigging mine in the next week or two. My 115 will be for sale. It has only 56 hrs. on it and is mint in every way if you might have an interest.
Regardless of I do with my 225, I am going to buy and try a 115 Pro XS CT. I have a walleye tournament this weekend, so I am set to go to the closer Mercury Marine dealers next week to talk with them about getting a 115 Pro XS CT.
However, I am not opposed to buying your 115?
Does it have the Command Thrust lower unit?
Has the lower unit been modified by Bob's for low water pickup and an increase in speed. 'Or how did you get the low water pickup?
Who's 14 inch jackplate do you have on your boat & what is your flotation? My jackplate is two separate cobbled together units & I have difficulty fitting flotation in. My old Champ has a Seastar 12 inch and it was easier to fill with flotation.
I am looking for all the help I can get to get this, as right as I can...
Thanks!
Dave

BigRWater

I have the regular Merc 150 four stroke on a Grand Sport. Modified gearcase (stock 1.92 gears) and ProXS upper mounts, it does 80 MPH with a 30" promax. The new 150 proXS is nice, but you'd probably want to swap the gears for 1.75, or 1.85. The Proxs case is a 4.88" with 2.08 gears.

The 115 ProXS is a great little engine, and the CT version uses the 150 1.92 case, so you could swap it for that if you wanted the taller gears.

Thanks for the information!

BigRWater

are you interested in selling your 225 super magnum?
I was thinking of putting her on a motor stand and putting her back to stock & see if I can get the legendary performance that I have only read about. If I change my thoughts, I can let you know.

Billy

Dave, my 115 has the standard gear case with 2.07 gear ratio. The command thrust gear case has 2.38 ratio which may be what you prefer. It would probably have more low end and mid range torque but not run as fast top end. My low water pick up was done by J Cs propeller service in Killen, Ala. J Cs was considered one of the best in the business, but has recently retired. My 14 in. jackplate is by Allison and has a large area to add flotation. The post on here from Wave to Wave shows what looks to be nice gear case work done by someone in Fla. Wave to Wave wrote several real good articles on rigging a 150 fourstroke on a 2003 grandsport. You could probably look back on the previous articles and find the name of people that did that job. I am also in the process of testing a V6 merc 225 fourstroke on a Allison XB 21. The results so far have been very impressive. Wave to Wave has just written a very impressive column on the case of mercury building a R version of the V6 225. I hope it gets traction with Mercury and if so I'll be one of their first customers. Hope these tidbits will be helpful . Good luck, Billy.

BigRWater

Thanks Billy! Great information. I'll watch for your 115 to go up for sale, or go ahead PM me when your letting your 115 loose. Thanks again! You've been a big help and really caused me to give this all some thought.

Lotus 50

I started with a lightly modified 150 XR4 on my SS2000. Totally different, but not. The 150 went as fast as I go now, but the acceleration with more power transforms the ride. I didn’t go over 80 on the weekend but I got there fast

Billy

Dave, my 115 is still setting on the 2003. The 150 is at the merc dealer's shop. He has been so busy he has not been able to get to mine. May be able to next week. I thought 6800.00 might be a fair price for the 115 with the modifications that's been to it. If nobody has interest, I will probably trade it in with the dealer.

BigRWater

Dave, my 115 is still setting on the 2003. The 150 is at the merc dealer's shop. He has been so busy he has not been able to get to mine. May be able to next week. I thought 6800.00 might be a fair price for the 115 with the modifications that's been to it. If nobody has interest, I will probably trade it in with the dealer.
Billy - Any thoughts on how would I get the motor from Tennessee to Washington state?
Thanks
Dave

Billy

Dave, I will talk with my dealer and see if we could use the crate the 150 came in for shipping. I could probably negotiate the price a little to help with shipping. The dealer can get a shipping cost and we give you a total price. Thanks , Billy.

BigRWater

That would be great. Let me know. I'll talk to my boat mechanic guy here to see if we can deliver it to his shop.

Billy

Dave, my dealer said we could use the 150 crate to ship the 115 in, so all we'll need is an exact address to figure the cost. It would probably be best to exchange phone numbers to proceed. Mine is 615-597-6407. This transaction could go through my dealer if you might want to use a credit card. I failed to mention that there is a tach with an hr. meter that goes with the engine. Thanks, Billy

BigRWater

Dave, my dealer said we could use the 150 crate to ship the 115 in, so all we'll need is an exact address to figure the cost. It would probably be best to exchange phone numbers to proceed. Mine is 615-597-6407. This transaction could go through my dealer if you might want to use a credit card. I failed to mention that there is a tach with an hr. meter that goes with the engine. Thanks, Billy
Thank you Billy. Sounds good. mine is five 0 nine 783 two six four zero I am on 16th avenue, Kennewick WA, 99338 I will speak to my boat guy sometime this weekend about shipping the motor directly to him. He is just blocks away from me. So shipping should be the same.

Last edited: