375lb 300hp Verado release date?

whipper

Must still have snow on the ground in the Great White North for you to be on here. Just sitting here watching grass grow and listening to birds sing in beautiful East Tennessee! Getting ready to go pick up an XR6 gearcase. Working on a little project motor for the XR2002.
I have 4ft on the ground below zero temps with nothing but more snow in the forecast. i hate global warming.:big grin Ice is 4ft deep on the lakes. Screw it Im going skiing later.:cool

whipper

I have no doubt there is a new generation 4 stroke Merc on its way. But I don't think it's a HP motor. It'll be a bass motor and will probably end the optimax production. This just some chatter I have heard. I am afraid to dismiss it because it's similar the the SHO chatter I did dismiss back in 2009 LOL!
The SHO is the best outboard made at the moment I feel. The E-tech is another highly developed option as well. To bad the 200xs ros is our only real motor. Merc needs to up that HP to at least a 300 option in that motor. my promax is a great motor I will say also. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking and light!! Merc needs to take a page from Mercedes benz and not change a good thing after 5 years.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

The SHO is the best outboard made at the moment I feel. The E-tech is another highly developed option as well. To bad the 200xs ros is our only real motor. Merc needs to up that HP to at least a 300 option in that motor. my promax is a great motor I will say also. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking and light!! Merc needs to take a page from Mercedes benz and not change a good thing after 5 years.
I am not even sure you would need to go 300. If Merc could get an honest (ie. Strong) 250 hp out of the 200xs ROS platform then I think it would satisfy a lot of people. Of course first things first, let's get them priced right and offer a warranty with them. Personally, I think Mercury gave up too quickly on the 2.5xs. Seems like it could have been refined more. It was reportedly pushing 235 - 240 hp.

Last edited:

whipper

True. Theres no way for just a motor it should cost over 10 grand thats just a plain rip off. You can buy a 600hp aluminum v8 crate motor for that price!! More material more pistons same type of motor really. Internal combustion motor. They killed the outboard market themselves buy over charging instead of pricing right and selling more. Its happened all over the place with the greedy. Some companies are realizing this now and taking this opportunity to capitalize on the thirst for more appropriately priced products. Its history repeating its self as usual. Greed is blind and deaf.

whipper

Ive often planned out what would be needed to turn my GS into an inboard surface drive. I still might do that one day. I know were theres a 400hp 300 lb aluminum V6 car motor that would fit nicely under the rear hatch.:beer:

h2oskiier30

Personally, I think Mercury gave up too quickly on the 2.5xs. Seems like it could have been refined more. It was reportedly pushing 235 - 240 hp.
I think Merc screwed themselves out of the gate in bastardizing that motor with a 3L mid and lower. IMO, it could have been a much more popular engine paired all the way down with 2.5 components.

xb03fs

I think Merc screwed themselves out of the gate in bastardizing that motor with a 3L mid and lower. IMO, it could have been a much more popular engine paired all the way down with 2.5 components.
100 percent I would buy one if it had a 3-5 year warranty hard to finance something without a warranty

Dave Hensley

Well, how many 200 ROS motors in the 15" version have you seen?? At $20 k you would think you could a least call and buy one. I can't find one at any price. Mother Merc cares not for enthusiasts.

whipper

GotMyAlly

Have you seen the surface drive inboard motor Stroker that was built several years ago? Could do something similar to your GS............

njj502

Ive often planned out what would be needed to turn my GS into an inboard surface drive. I still might do that one day. I know were theres a 400hp 300 lb aluminum V6 car motor that would fit nicely under the rear hatch.:beer:
Why even screw with the V6? Get an all aluminum 5.3L LSx with a single turbo. Easy 500hp and stupid reliable.

whipper

Theres always options I guess. I'm really hell bent on making a 3.0+ lt go really really fast safely. But all my plans revolve around a motor that turns a min of 6700 rpm. I may just have to throw an X on there if takes another two years to get the XS or anything elses torque past 6000 on a BB respectfully . The only way a GS will top 110 is with a heavier motor than a 2.5 with loads of torque and a min of 320hp. With lots of hull work top and bottom. mostly top and the bow.:gone fishing

Last edited:

whipper

Have you seen the surface drive inboard motor Stroker that was built several years ago? Could do something similar to your GS............
Ya I did but it seems to need way more power to get the speed compared to an outboard done right even with surface drive. Our OB,s are basicly surface drives anyway. The gear case shape has a lot to do with it. Some ride on the case and some with enough power wish it wasnt there.:big grin

xb03fs

Whipper non opti 3 liters can be as light as a 2.5 weight can be saved it just $$$

The easy stuff is lightweight flywheel, carbon cowl and pan and tuner.

Then the mid can be cut, offshore trim in the boat instead of fishing trim. The list keeps going each fix just gets harder and more expensive...

Then there are question of rods which I asked on Snf and some beefy ounces capable of a lot of rpms can be had for 3k :gasp.

A bad mofo can be made it's just :gasp$$$$$. If you had 15k and a donar motor it would be cool

dirty shocker

Or there is the new Ford 3.5 v6 twin turbo eco boost, Pull off the two turbos and put one big one on and your from a stock 365 hp up too a 600+ hp! there will be 1000 hp out of it soon.

Darth VMAX

Theres always options I guess. I'm really hell bent on making a 3.0+ lt go really really fast safely. But all my plans revolve around a motor that turns a min of 6700 rpm. I may just have to throw an X on there if takes another two years to get the XS or anything elses torque past 6000 on a BB respectfully . The only way a GS will top 110 is with a heavier motor than a 2.5 with loads of torque and a min of 320hp. With lots of hull work top and bottom. mostly top and the bow.:gone fishing
110 on a GS is really fast. Even with your parameter what pitch of prop are you thinking of?

GotMyAlly

Or there is the new Ford 3.5 v6 twin turbo eco boost, Pull off the two turbos and put one big one on and your from a stock 365 hp up too a 600+ hp! there will be 1000 hp out of it soon.
That much HP out of a V6? Reliably? That I'd have to see to believe.........