300R XB2003

300R Ally 2+2

Well....Decided to bite the bullet and order a 300R for my Xb2003. I have a 280 w/offshore mid now that I'll sell. The 300R will come in April and I'll have it rigged. UPDATE: decided to buy a XB21 2+2 to hang the 300R and sell the XB2003 Merc 2.5L 280.

Any suggestions on-
-Setback
-Hydraulic vs manual jack plate
-Prop type and size
-Battery placement.

The boat is set up great now but I'll be back to the starting line again to set up.

Last edited:

Myron

I am interested how this ends up. I would think you will need a little weight forward to counteract the motor, as far as offset I would start at about 10. Keep us posted

Jr in Jax

I use just the 6" of offset in with my hydraulic jackplate. The Hydraulic plate with greatly cut your setup time.
I am using a 32" PP Drag 5 but would probably be faster with the larger diameter promax.
There is a guy here with a Bullet/300R that runs 111 GPS plus with a Merc CNC 5 blade.
This will save you a fortune in gas/oil.

SLOmofo

IMHO... the heavier the engine the closer to the transom it should be. Also fill the open space in the set back with foam. Benefits. One, it will float higher at rest. Two, it wont squat as much during acceleration. Three, on acceleration you aren't carrying all that extra weight of the water inside the set back.

bullwhipjkg

ill try to find the guy on facebook who is doing this

but im running a 500 + lb 300 xs on my 02 at 14" back
none fishing setup

300R Ally 2+2

Thank you for the info! You have that rig dialed in for sure. I use mine occasionally for fishing so I'm planning to move the batteries that are on the rear port/starboard wings up in the compartments to help lighten the back to offset the added weight of the 300R. Do you use any buoyancy in the jackplate?

Dbean123

Probationary User
My old xb2003 is in houma la now, look up Jacob Viknair on FB he has recently put the 300r on his.

xb03

thanks for the help on the setback. Did you have to add buoyancy to the inside of the jackplate to keep the stern up? I have a battery in the far back of each wing and am thinking of moving them up.
I tried 2 basketballs in the jackplate but it didn’t seem to really make a difference. When I was set up for fishing I ran three batteries one in the middle and one in each wing, you could definitely feel the extra weight from the batteries. The only negative effects I had was sharp turns and stoping with the backwash. I added a skid plate to the bottom of my jackplate and it seemed to help with backwash and hole shot.

whipper

I tried 2 basketballs in the jackplate but it didn’t seem to really make a difference. When I was set up for fishing I ran three batteries one in the middle and one in each wing, you could definitely feel the extra weight from the batteries. The only negative effects I had was sharp turns and stoping with the backwash. I added a skid plate to the bottom of my jackplate and it seemed to help with backwash and hole shot.
Sick setup right there!! My next thing to do if I find the time !! I will though I have to do this. Dave how is backing out compared to a 2.5 ratcheting case? i assume you just back off slow and controlled no issues? Im also thinking because of the extra weight the bow might have {less} tendency to dig in slowing down of course maybe not on a complete shut down haha

xb03

Sick setup right there!! My next thing to do if I find the time !! I will though I have to do this. Dave how is backing out compared to a 2.5 ratcheting case? i assume you just back off slow and controlled no issues? Im also thinking because of the extra weight the bow might have {less} tendency to dig in slowing down of course maybe not on a complete shut down haha
You are correct James, I could come off the throttle hard with no negative effects due to the heavy engine not letting the bow drop hard. I sold that rig and now I’m back with a 2.5 again lol.
Jared14611

whipper

You are correct James, I could come off the throttle hard with no negative effects due to the heavy engine not letting the bow drop hard. I sold that rig and now I’m back with a 2.5 again lol.
JaredView attachment 14611
So back to back what you like best 2.5 or 3.0 ? I imagine with a 260 or 280 there is no comparison in acceleration what about with a load probably better acceleration with 4 aboard with the 300?

xb03

The 300xs pros: no smoke, great mpg, lots of torque for better load carrying.
Cons: more complex system, weight, height.
The 2.5 promax pros: cheaper, simple, lighter, easy to work on, more rpms.
Cons: slower, less mpg, smokes
I feel that prop for prop the 300xs accelerates the same if not better than the 280 on an xb2003. Of course the 280 will always be faster because it can turn 2000+ RPMs more. The heavy engines take away the Porsche like feeling in sharp turns. But I feel like that is a small price to pay for what your getting overall. When I was in the market for a grand sport I was looking for one with a pro max, but wouldn’t of turned down an Optimax.

xb03fs

Put a set of lithium trolling batteries in the nose, moving cranking battery to front of rear passenger storage box.

run a promax prop that has a ton of bow lift.
Weight distribution will be better than with 2.5. Lithium batteries and prop tech today didn’t exist in 1989 when these were made