280 update

deadeye99

Well, I finally got the right jack plate bolts and steering adapter. Install was finished this Sat morning instead of last Sat. I put 5 hours on her over the weekend and she hasn't turned me loose from break in yet. 1st impressions. WOW, WOW,WOW. Did I say awesome! This motor sounds like a top fuel dragster! My pmax was no slouch but this thing revs to the 6000 limiter with half the pedal left! If it gets any faster I'll need a neck brace! Lol. No turning back now. Bob

Skywagon

That sounds Great!! Congratualtions. JUST WAIT!! You'll pick up a bunch of power when you get out of your break in minutes. If you have access to a DDT, check the field labled "break in min." If you are plowing around with the engine tucked under you should be near the 120 minute break in requirement. It took me about 3 hours to get mine to the 120 minute mark. Remember, they have to be "loaded" minutes. Have fun.

Bill

Butch Leslie

Once mine was broke in, I found out quick that this engine was set way too rich from the factory, and it fouled out plugs in no time at all. It will leave you looking for a tow in. I changed plugs often while out in the water. Finally, I brought it to my dealer and asked him what is wrong with this engine, I am tired of fouling out plugs. He put this DDT on it and leaned it out by 2 numbers, and I have no more problems. Butch Leslie

deadeye99

Thanks guys. I was also told only minutes above 4000 rpm count. Wish I knew that before the weekend. I was in the low 90's before with my pmax and with all this extra power low 100's should be easy. Bob

Yellowallison

DEADEYE glad yu got her running.........
:p :p

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: HERE KITTY KITTY KKITTY!

chad202

I hope all the 280s are sold and taken so I can tell the little voices in my head to shutup. :lol:

deadeye99

Well, I got the motor broken in. I have been edging up my speed slowly as this stock sporty handles totally different than my ally modded cle did. I don't want any 90 mph suprises. It is like running on rails in comparison but needs more trim as the speed increases and the cle did not. I have 9.5 years in this boat and it is more stable than ever. So far I have gps'd 97 2 times. 11.5 hours, 28 et, 1\4 tank, 8 rods, full tackle in the front compartment and troller on in 95 degrees. I think there is more to come as it feels like it's dragging. This is with the propshaft even with the pad. I want to bump it up another .25 or so next time out. Any comments from them thats been there would be appreciated. Bob

xb2003

Happy for ya bro....I get mine tommorrow!!!

Where did you mount your trim pump and fuel pump? I have both of my batteries in the center in front of the gas tank.

deadeye99

xb, My batteries are in the rear of the side compartments. The trim pump mounted in the center compartment on the port side as I needed to shift a little weight to port. Through bolted it and the fuel pump on the opposite side. Hope this helps. Bob

deadeye99

Well, I finally got to run in some cooler temps. 85 instead of 95 degrees. 2 men @ 400#, fishn gear, 97.8 mph gps @ 7400 rpm with 28 et. I was holding a little back so I'm sure 100 is comin soon! This stock sporty runs great with very little torque at the wheel. Bob

xb2003

Sounds good man....I can't wait to run mine. Mounted my trim pump in the center port side wall and fuel pump center starboard wall. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the batteries. I'm leaving one troller in the center and see if I can stick the smaller cranking in there as well beside the trim pump. I'm going back to three batts with the 280 for sure. I guess I need to dunk it and play with te batteries to get the best balence solo.

J

John Richied

I'm going back to three batts with the 280 for sure.
Just curious why, the 280 has a 60 amp charging system… wouldn't that get er done?

chad202

Stanton, I agree with John. You don't need three. Just run two, one on each side of center in front the fuel cell. I will try two with 16amp system and if it works on that, you won't have no problems with a 60amp system.

alli ss

the 280 needs some serious powa for crankin. you ain't gonna limit your speed with 3 batts- the boat will only go so fast and it'll git there with 3 trust me

xb2003

I have ran my batteries down before fishing in the river and on the causeway in the grass to where I had to swap leads just to crank up. I think the 280 will require more juice to just turn it over and don't want to take that chance. I have a 82lb tour on mine also....Some say you don't need that much tm on a ally. I have had to use evr single lb when the current is really getting it up the river before. We'll see...might not need the extra battery. Thats just my reasoning for going back to three.

J

John Richied

That’s cool… If ya need it, it’s there! Getting every last mile per hour out of your rig isn’t near as important as NOT getting towed... :lol:

Just keep in mind, your crankin battery does not have to be a BIG heavy 50-70 lb. deep cycle.