280 hot

300R Ally 2+2

Changed the water pump housing, plates, impeller and gaskets on my 280. It has the 3/4" and I bought the 1/2" housing-cut it down and drilled it out. When I hit over 5000 rpm's it starts to get hot and the alarm goes off. It didn't overheat before the change.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dave:banghead

K.Kiser

Just a quick guess I'd say it may be leaking pressure before the flow enters your copper down pipe.. Btw, what is your pressure reading..?

catfish123

Roy, can you explain these 2 things, at some point, with pics, for mechanically challenged individuals such as me?..........Thanks :beer:

86voyager

You cut it down to far, and now the copper tube is not sealing at the bottom. Get a new housing, and cut it exact.

Brack

Catfish…...

you can take a standard fishing motor w/p housing,……(just as Mother Merc does)
cut 1/2 inch off the neck of the housing,….run a 3/4in. bit down into the neck,……you will need the adapter,….some people glue it on ,…..some dont, slide the 3/4inch seal into the adapter and your good to go,……

thats why the 3/4 inch housing is about a 100 dollar higher than the standard 1/2 housing…..

Last edited:

tomoad

Check your seal that goes down in your water pump that seals your water tube. Once I had that seal get wadded up blocking half the flow

Brack

no,...unless you change your exhast plate,

I would bet your fish'in motor has the 1/2 tube set-up,....with the 2 peice exhast plate,

I would leave it alone running a steel sleeve motor

chad202

do yall do anything on the underside? the intake that the pump discharges into is smaller also isn't it?

Brack

Chad, are you talking the base plate?......its the same,...I do take my dremel and clean up the exit area of the pump housing,

sorry , it wasn't my intention to hi-jack this tread,

Last edited:

300R Ally 2+2

Thanks for all the replies! I cut it to the exact length and drilled it out but it may be leaking past the rubber sleeve to the 3/4" copper tube. I didn't glue it and it only over heats when I open it up. I never thought about glueing it. What would you suggest I use so it can still be removed for a replacement?

86voyager

Are you using the cheap impeller with the plastic hub ? The hub can spin inside the impeller.

86voyager

I'm running out of idea's for ya. Any chance you had a brain fart, and turned the drive shaft counter clockwise when seating the new housing over impeller ? BTW I use regular model glue from KMART to glue on adapter. Hope you get it figured out soon, good luck.