260 v 225 pm

I/O to O/B

Any ideas as to the performance differences between the two on an XB03? Thinkin about top end and at idle. Re: idle, I'm told they run at 1k rpm and should be shifted in gear?! Thanks.

Bobalouie

My 280 w/ 260 elecs idles at 800-850 and shifts in and out of gear no problem. But I usually start in gear except when its inconvienient like when trailering or docking in a x wind.

If you are debating a change, let me tell you, there is nothing like the scream of a horn motor in your ear. People can hear you coming from miles away. Only bad thing is that they are THIRSTY! But I wouldnt have it any other way.

Last edited:

Texan

260's are thirsty, for sure. On top of premium pump gas, I use double oil on the advice of one way more experienced with these engines than I. In addition, now with the Ethanol mandate on pump gas, an additive on top will add to the cost of a tank of fuel. Keep it under 3500-4000 RPM and you can run all day long and still have fuel at the end of the day in a 30 gallon fuel cell. Make several high RPM passes or race down the boating lane, and your pocketbook will be lighter at the end of the day filling her back up.

I've got a Brucatto intake and it does scream in your ear. It is a sound that's addictive. Everyone at the ramp will turn their head when you get bumped off the trailer. As far as shifting and starting in gear, that particular safety feature was disabled when I bought my XB03 and I simply got used to it. I will say that the last time I changed the lower unit grease, there were no (zero, none, zilch) metal shavings on the magnet. Changing the lower unit gearing isn't inexpensive to say the least, so whatever perceived hardship associated with starting in gear is negated.

Not having any experience with a 225 PM (other than on my brother-in-law's tri-toon which will push it upwards of 60 MPH), I can't say what you would gain with a 260 vs a 225. I know of several on the board that have or have had 225's that will scream.

Hell, I went from a 3 cylinder Evinrude 65 on a hollowed out log of a stick steering, 16' fishing boat to a 260 hanging off the back of a XB03 darn near overnight. Talk about change?

Last edited:

Texan

Twice that of a normal 2 stroke. And I run plain ole TCW-III from Mercury. Again, on the advice of a veteran 2.5 builder.

Fishforcash

I absolutely loved my PM on my XB03.

I like the bottom end of a Promax but without the better internals you flirt with disaster if you turn it up high.

K.Kiser

Be very careful running double oil, it can actually cause a lean condition... In regard to performance, the 260 is gonna outrun the Promax from stem to stern, and the downside is fuel consumption and operating cost... Under intended usage, I'd guess the Promax has a sevice life on average of 5x that of a 260...

Alli-drenaline Rush

If you are debating a change, let me tell you, there is nothing like the scream of a horn motor in your ear. People can hear you coming from miles away. Only bad thing is that they are THIRSTY! But I wouldnt have it any other way.
I've got a Brucatto intake and it does scream in your ear. It is a sound that's addictive. Everyone at the ramp will turn their head when you get bumped off the trailer.
A quote from a Louisiana buddy comes to mind..... "there ain't no pockets in a shroud."

Thirst and maintenance cost be dam$ed....

Lakeman (Allison)

Hey to all. So you telling me that a 280 will push my xb2003 (1997) 7-10 MPH. FASTER. my 225 pm. (2000) will go 98.1 mph. so i can go to 105-108 mph. If so, i my get a 280.. is anyone running that fast with a 280 on a xb2003.....

zatchmo

Hey to all. So you telling me that a 280 will push my xb2003 (1997) 7-10 MPH. FASTER. my 225 pm. (2000) will go 98.1 mph. so i can go to 105-108 mph. If so, i my get a 280.. is anyone running that fast with a 280 on a xb2003.....
There's a few in the 103-105 mph range. I think Chad202 has been to 108 in his. Mine does 100 and change with the wrong prop, trolling motor on the front, and a conservative setup.

chad202

I'm not starting a debate again but the speeds won't be much unless you do some tinkering/tweaking. Mine was 4mph until I started massaging. It ended up being 13mph so far. Now I'll say that I don't think I had it completely tweaked out with the promax so the numbers are further apart.

I/O to O/B

Lots of great info. "Service life" of 260 being 5x less than a 225 means what, in terms of additional service?

My best speed in the year I've had my 03 is 83 gps with my PM225 and after trying three different props. Most days I can't break 80, and have tried all engine heights, trim levels. Got a compression test before buying that checked out good. So, really feeling the need for more speed.

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=9471

Got a line on a 260, maybe...

Thanks for the help boys

Last edited:

xb03fs

Lots of great info. "Service life" of 260 being 5x less than a 225 means what, in terms of additional service?

My best speed in the year I've had my 03 is 83 gps with my PM225 and after trying three different props. Most days I can't break 80, and have tried all engine heights, trim levels. Got a compression test before buying that checked out good. So, really feeling the need for more speed.

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=9471

Got a line on a 260, maybe...

Thanks for the help boys
Its gotta be in the setup, I am 82/83 GPS with a 200 EFI turning 26 P props 6700 and 28 P props 6,000 I have hit 82/83 with about 4 different props light loaded by myself, light load is trolling motor, 3 batteries, a few fishing poles, one tackle bag, one tool box, one spare prop, one first aid kit, one extra jug of oil some life jackets and me (220) setup side steer.......I am on a diet 200 by next spring should be good for a few mph
I have hit 80 Plus with a hydro 26 X-OT, 28 hydro OT, Hoss 27, 26 chopper, and thats it so far but I have a 27 Hydro that I am dying to try in the spring[/QUOTE]

Jimxb02

The 260 and 280 will always out run the 225 promax with a boat of the same design and weight . But , don't give up on the promax. As was stated above ; with the steel sleeves and lower RPM range it has a longer rebuild interval and lower cost of maintenance. Also, the promax can be modified to produce significant gains with simple bolt on mods. The Brocato SVS, cut heads to 34cc , and raised rev limiter will produce several MPH more.

Jim

xb03fs

I think I am going to cut the heads and raise the limiter on my 200 at some point.....I just don't spend the money right now

Last edited:

hirk

r u running a sporty? Have you measured prop shaft height? How much setback?What props have you ran? I could run 84-85 with 4 people (avg. size people) and ran best of 91.9 alone w/ a avg. load.Now I had shaved heads and a 7200 limiter w/ a 28 chopper that hit it but for sure you should touch 90.You can have the chopper cheap if you have not ran the right props and think thats your problem since I sold my boat I have no use for it.I'm just down the 401 hwy from you.I talked to you about buying my PM earlier.

catfish123

Something is really wrong with your boat not running better than that with a 225PM. 90 mph should be pretty easy to get. My XB2003 with a 200 Promax ran 88.7 mph with a 28 ET Lightning and it would run 85 with a 26 Trophy. With the 225X it hit 97.1 mph with a 30 Chopper II, 93.5 with a 28 Chopper II, and mid nineties with a 30 ET. With the limiter at 6850, it would run 87 easily with a 26 Trophy. I would suggest letting someone familiar with your setup to check it out for you.