250XS Question for JimmyB

badbait

I took the 250 back out after getting the throttle cable adjusted so that I now get full throttle. Wow what a difference. I had forgotten how poorly this 2003 of mine handles at 100 mph. First it lays on one side of the pad and then I move my leg over and it comes up and then it goes to the other side. Its real hard to get this thing to stay straight up at 100mph. I just thought they all did that until I got my SS2000. That thing will take a set and stay there. Unless someone can talk me out of it I'm going to take the lip off the center of the pad and see if that won't keep that thing from rolling from side to side. I had the same problem when I had the 280 on it. It may be a little worse since this is a 20 inch mid instead of a 15 plus the motor is heavier. Its a real white nuckle ride at the top end and I couldn't bring myself to really air the thing out. All and all I do have a new found appreciation for the power of this 250XS.

catfish123

Badbait------how much setback do you run with that 250XS on your XB2003???

badbait

I'm currently running 9" plus a 1/2" wedge, 9.5" total setback. I'm still doing some experimenting and may try 7.5" real soon. right now I'm running without a jackplate at 1/2" above the pad. The changes I'm getting ready to make will include a manual jack plate.

hack02

Bill; what prop were you running? Remember I was having a problem with my SS wanting to lay down on its right side at right around a hundred, changed from my ET to a srx and it was like night and day. I think it was a combination too much stern lift and too much blade area. Now the hull takes a set and flys level. I know your trying different things by going in on your offset but I have always been a fan of farther back for top end.

badbait

Hack I was running a 30 ET and you are right I should put on another prop before doing anything else. I have a 29 Hoss I will try next time out.
As far as top end I'm really not as interested in that as much as I am in 0 to 100. I'm sure if I can cure this thing from wanting to lay on one side of the pad or the other it will run in the low 100's.
Seat of the pants I think this 250XS is as fast 40 to 100 as the 280 was. It's not as fast out of the hole though and that's why I'm still experimenting with setback. I would gladly give up some on the top for a better hole shot.

jimmyb

for holeshot, i would experiment with props and setup. You might want to consider trying an allison foil as well (just make sure you find one that fits a 3.0L gearcase)

I am having good success running a bravo 28 with big vent holes. great holeshot, great midrange and good topend... craig has been running a bravo and he likes it as well. Might not be the ultimate prop for light running, but the bravos really shine with a heavy load and a motor that has the torque to spin them!

BTW, I am very happy to hear that you have finally appreciated the power of the 250! now you know why I always have a grin on my face after running the boat!

badbait

Jimmy I am running an allison foil plus a skid plate and a 6 degree wedge. I do think your right about getting a hole shot prop. I may have a chance to see Craig in a few weeks and if I do, hopefully, I can try his Bravo. I am very excited about how this motor is running now though.

XB21er

Bill,

I'll have the prop with me and you're welcome to try it- it's only a 26 so you'll probably only run about 90, but it will be violent gettin there.

Craig

froggy

Mr. Bill,

I'm happy the lesser setback is working for you! I had the same problem as you with my 2003. At approx. 97mph the bow dropped to the right. I could run it here, but it was frightening. Darris told me to put at least one battery in the port compartment as well as told me what the pad lip was supposed to "blueprint" at, I did both and the boat takes a set and flies even when above 100. Now I have reduced my offset to 9" and I'm even getting better lift than when I was at 14.5". I'm fairly certain you could run even less offset if your pad lip was, for sure, .060", since I am running a lighter engine (280) and I now have only a light jackplate on the back.

froggy

badbait

Froggy does your lip extend all the way across the pad? The first inch on each side of my pad on the 2003 has no lip. When I first saw that yesterday I thought that may be my problem. Then I went and checked out my SS2000 and it's the same. Both lips have had some work by people other than me. The SS2000 runs straight and true. The work on that one was done by Glenn Reynolds and it handles sweet. The other one was done at the dealership up in Wa. where I bought the boat. It was there demo.
Froggy my email nylbill@aol.com. Could you e-mail me your phone number and the best time to call.

Thanks Bill

J

John Richied

Badbait, before ya go changing your setback, props or anything I got something for ya to try…

Jack the propshaft up a little more, like a

badbait

John I wish it was that easy but for now at least I'm running without a jackplate. I'm currently at 1/2" above the pad and if I go up its got to be a little over 3/4s of a inch. Wow, that puts me at 1.25 above. For now I'm thinking of redrilling this setback bracket I'm using and bringing the motor in about 1.5" and dropping the prop to even with the pad. This should help the holeshot a little plus I'm just curious to see if I can still carry the nose. I can always go back to where it was and slot the holes and move it up or down.

J

John Richied

Bill, I thought you had a 9” setback jackplate, I see what you are saying now, it’s a setback bracket…not adjustable?

I have a 9” manual Allison Jackplate that you can adjust… If you want to give it a try I’ll send it to ya, just say so and off in the mail she will go, you just pay shipping.

Stay with that ET prop and let’s get you runnin HARD! :wink:

Fishin might be your destiny when you get older, but that’s along ways off… Let’s Drag Baby!!

badbait

John I just have it in my head that this thing will carry with 8" of setback. Plus I spent some time at the Tn. rally talking with people a lot smarter than me about setback. That will also put the tongue wait on the trailer right where it was before with the 280 on it. If it doesn't work I will take you up on that offer. I wish that Jackplate of yours was 7.5 or 8". That would save me a lot of work. Thanks for the offer.

J

John Richied

I hear ya…If it were mine I would try a 6” manual adjustable jackplate and your wedges.

badbait

Well I redrilled the setback and was able to take the motor in to 7" of setback plus I then added a wedge for a total of 7.5 inches of setback. Well it ran just fine and actually handled a little better. I tested on Saturday and the water was glass smooth plus it was quite warm. The best I could manage was 96.7. That was with a 30 ET at a half inch above the pad. I had plenty of lift so I went to the shop on Sunday morning and pulled everything off the transom and I'm putting on a 5" manual plate plus the 1/2" wedge. I will then be able to raise or lower the motor. It felt like it could handle at least another 1/4" of motor height to get rid of a little more drag. I could only spin that 30 to 5750 with these 1.62 gears. According to my prop calculator I was running extremly effient at 4.1% slip. Maybe a 29 pitch would be a better choice. I hope to see Lou in the Delta on the 6th of Sept. and try out his 29 Hoss. I also hope to be able by that time to run as fast as Lou runs with his 280.

J

John Richied

Sounds like you’re going the right direction for sure! Before you try jacking the propshaft up any higher I would do as you are going to and move the setback in and run it at the same propshaft height you are running @

badbait

It always puzzles me that one prop calulating program comes up with a different figures than another. I have it from two sources that the prop slip is between 4 and high 4s. My program actually say's it is 4.1. are you using these numbers 5750 rpm, 1.62 gears, 96.7 speed. One was a little less than 5 and the other was a 4.1. And you come up with 7. I don't understand why we are getting different numbers. Are you putting in more pitch possible allowing for some cup that may or may not be there?

badbait

Go to RBBI prop calculator or Marine Prop Calulator. I just tried both of these and came up with the same numbers that I came up with on my prop calculator. You must be adding something assuming I have cup in the prop I was running. And that's fine if you are I just want to understand how you come up with the 7%.

badbait

The only prop I have been using with these changes is the 30 ET because it easier for me to figure out if I'm going the right way if I compare everything based on one prop. I do feel the holeshot is going in the right direction. I don't own a holeshot prop for this motor at this time.
I don't really think I will outrun Lou's 280 but I do think I will be within 2 to 4 mph and that might be good info for a few guys that are thinking of a little more HP. I would also like Lou to drive this boat and give you his impression of the handling and power. I think there are a lot of people out there that would be amazed at how well this boat drives. It's sweet going down the lake at 85 and look at the rpm guage and see the motor is only turning 5 grand.