250XS Question for JimmyB

badbait

Do they have anything programmed into the ECU during breakin. I don't see anything in the manual. I love the motor it runs great. The prop is clean so I don't think it's double oiling.

XB21er

Bill,

I was looking through the service manual and this is what I found:

The oil ratio is doubled during the first 120 minutes of operation whenever the engine speed exceeds 2500 rpm and is under load; below 2500, the oil pump provides oil at the normal ratio. After the engine break-in period, the oil ratio returns to normal: 300-400 at idle to 60:1 at WOT.

NOTE: On some light boat applications after the break-in is complete and the engine is being run at cruising speed- between 4000 and 5000 rpm- the fuel-to-oil ratio may be as high as 40:1. This results from a reduced throttle opening with a corresponding reduction in fuel economy.

Craig

jimmyb

yeah, what craig said!

give us an update sometime on how the 250 is running on the 2003...

badbait

2003/250XS Update

With approximately 4.5 hours on the motor I really think I have it dialed in as far as setup. My setup is as follows.

9.5 inches of setback

Added a 2 degree wedge to a 9" setback plate for a total of 9.5 inches.

No jack plate and probably won't put one on.

Running at 1/8 above the pad.

Filled the setback bracket with a couple of balls for flotation.

Sea Star Pro steering.

I've eliminated the water problem on the back deck when coming off plane. I also eliminated the nose high attitude coming on plane by bringing the setback in 3" and adding the 2 degree wedge.

So enough on setup, how does it run.
I have not tested the top end with a gps because I wanted to have more hours on the motor before really airing it out. Plus I've been making changes to get rid of the initial problems of water on the back deck and I didn't like the bow waving in the air coming out of the hole. Having said that, Its not going to be a drag racer but, I will be very interested to see how it does against other Allison's when they have there cruising, fishing props or top end props on. It's got a whole lot more mid range and top end than a 225PM on the same boat in my opinion. So how will it do with a 26 Trophy on against John R's light weight 2002 in the Trophy Dash at the WAR Rally? I think I will probably get beat. But I'm hopeing to be close. I will also try to compare it with other 2003s with 225s or 280s to get an idea of a performance comparison. I personally am impressed with the way it runs on the 2003. It's quite, idles like a four stroke, uses a lot less gas than the 280 did, and it doesn't smoke. It also comes out of the hole very well even with a 28 ET. I don't plan to buy what might be called a drag race wheel for this boat since I don't plan to drag race it. The 28 ET is quite a bit faster out of the hole than the 26 Trophy since it is able to ventilate sooner than the through hub Trophy. And that about it for now.

ALLISONMAN

hey bait have you tried a tempest prop on that beast????? I loved my tempest before i put my offfshore mid on!!! but with the offshore mid it is slow to plane but still ran 95-96 loaded for fishing!!! that 26 4 blade I have from you is runnign great on my 280 it blasts out the hole with a fishing load and will run 95-96 range also loaded and thats with a 74lbs thrust minn kota maxxum on front 2 optima batteries and an interstate cranking battery, 2- 230+ guys and enough fishing tackle to support bass-pro!!!! the offshore mid just doesnt like thru hub exhaust props!!!!

jimmyb

sounds like you did pretty much the same things as I did to get the 250XS to run on my XTB. 10" manual jackplate+ floatation+ skidplate elminated all the water on the back... I can pull the kill switch at 80 mph and the boat settles as nice as can be with out gettiing the carpet wet

i also am running a custom foil on my cavitation plate to help with the holeshot (keeps the bow from going up)

sounds like you will have fun comparing and running against the other guys at the rally... it should be an eye opener! :)

now I just gotta win some more tournaments so i can buy me a used 2003! :) or maybe craig will get bored with his XB-21 and donate it to me...

J

John Richied

Sounds good Bill… It’s almost time too YAHOO!

That fishin boat sounds set up great for sure.

If you are really hoping the drag race will be close, you better bring the light Super Sport/280.

If ya want we can both run our ET’s… this IS going to be a real eye-opener…. LOL :wink:

badbait

Aman I'm glad to here that 4 blade is working well. I liked it on my 2003/280 also.
I have at least 16 props that fit a 1" shaft and only 4 that fit the 1.25". I do have a 25 tempest that I run on a 300 promax but it's a older one without the interchangeable hub. I agree with you that the tempest is a good prop for the 3 liter. In fact it's the best prop I have for that other boat.

Jimmyb I forgot to mention that I'm also running a skid plat and a foil.

John, I'm planning to bring both boats. If somthing happens and my buddy can't pull one of them over I'm not sure which one I'll bring. But I am planning on both. I'd like to run you with the ET as well as the Trophy.The reason is the average guy out on the lake fishing isn't going to be running a 24 Yamaha. So the lessons that I may learn at the Rally is that I need to stay away from light weight 2002 even if there running a 28 ET and a 225 PM. I would also like to see how it stacks up against a 280 on a 2003. Lou this is your chance to take home all the marbles. Maybe you should run me first to get your confidence up and after you get by me take on John for all the marbles. I will be the first to agree that I wouldn't have a chance unless you play by my rules. But if someone has a 26 ET that fits my motor I'd be happy to run the looser between John and Lou. I know that race won't be much of a contest for either one of you.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Bill, I lost my marbles awhile back and not much chance of getting them back. But I do have a 26ET with the interchangeable hub that I will be happy to let you use at the WAR.

J

John Richied

Bill, I also have a 26 and 28 ET so we can make it work anyway you want by "your rules"

If ya want I'll even let you run my 26 ET and I'll leave with the 28 ET... just trying to help a friend out.

I don't care what Bill Mason says about you, I like you :wink:

Look at this crazy ole FlyinButch (Bill Mason) lettin the car motor guys have IT! I love this picture!!! It really isn't about us against each other...it's about us against anything that hits the water :wink:

badbait

I have to smile every time I look at that picture. Knowing Bill like we all do out here make's that picture even more special.

badbait

Jimmy, I was out with my 2003 and had a friend with me that weighs 290. I notice the speed fell off more than I thought it should. From 96 with me alone down to 88 mph. I've always thought the top end on this motor was suspect. When I had a load aboard I noticed the last 1/4" of throttle was good for 10mph. This was what got me thinking. When I got the boat home I pushed the foot throttle to the floor and locked it in place and then took the cowl off and looked down the throat of the intake and wala I only had 3/4 throttle. So far at the motor I have not been able to adjust it so that I get full throttle and have enough throw to get back to idle. Maybe there's some adjustment at the foot throttle. This hole thing makes me feel a little stupid but I'm glad I found out what was holding it in breakin mode.

badbait

The other thing that told me I wasn't getting all of it was the smartcraft guage said at wide open I was only using 19 gallons per hour. That seemed very low for a 250 hp motor. I'm not sure what that number should be but it's probably in the 22 to 25 range.

froggy

Bill,

A 250 should be using, at least, 25 gallons per hour at full throttle. If you are not you've got super hot (really not hot just powerful when properly applied) gas (aka, nitrous or nitro methane). And I know you are running alcohol gas (10%) which will mean you should be consuming 26.43 gallons per hour for 250 hp. Now get your throttle fixed and let us know what your boat will really do!!!!

Keep on keepin on dude (that's Calfornia for don't give up).

froggy

jimmyb

the 250XS will burn between 22-25 (maybe 26, if at sea level) GPH at WOT and 5700ish rpms.

Most of the current generation of optimax (250Xs and 225 proxs) motors dont follow the 10% HP/fuel rule... :)

glad you found the problem on the boat... whenever i hear of people having performance issues, the first thing I tell them to check is to make sure they are really getting WOT!