250 Sport XS on the GrandSport

harrells

Just put the new motor on Friday. Thank's to Glen Reynolds for letting me and my son Ryan use his shop to do the install with some help from one of his guy's. It was great to get the youngster involved and he really loved it. As for the test run, it was awesome. It is in break in mode so we took it easy and hit 92.5 with a beater 28 trophy plus. The 28 Hydromotive would not even plane the boat off with the blow out ring on it so I removed it and it popped right up. tons of slip with both props out of the hole.Only put about an hour or so of run time on it, but will keep posting updates next time out.

LakeAnna

That's awesome! Always great to have your youngster involved with the boating chores. 92.5 for the first day out aint to bad either! :wink

xb03

You know what they say, without pictures it never happened!

whipper

looks great on there cant wait to do this also. Have you had any more runs with her lately. whats your thoughts on setback props ect... sure doesnt look as big on there as i thought they would. nice!!

xb03fs

How was holeshot and acelleration vs 2.5 liter motor?

harrells

I've only put about an hour or so on it and haven't run it hard enough to figure out what prop will work best, but the stock 28 trophy plus pushed it to 92.5 with ease but tons of slip out of the hole. Next I tried my 28 QIV Hydromotive with the blow-out ring and it wouldn't even plane off so I removed the ring and it popped up on plane but it also has a ton of slip out of the hole. As for set-up it's where my 200 3.0l was at 1/4 in. below the pad with 6in. of set back. This thing has gobs of torque. I may need a bigger wheel when all is said and done. Gonna try to hook up with Joe Harrell of East Tenn. Prop next weekend on the lake and finish break-in and let him help me with prop selection. Can't wait to turn this monster loose and see what she will do.

Darth VMAX

Merc has all 3.0/3.2L 20" opti's listed empty at 505 lbs. If I remember right, in useable "rigged" weight they are more like in the 520's

LakeAnna

Bet you put a few hours on it today? Man we had great weather here in VA! Low 80's and no humidity:beer:

harrells

Whipper. I've had the extra weight of the 3.0L power plant since I bought the boat new in 08. It really runs better in slightly choppy water and with a passenger. Had it out Saturday but the lake was packed and didn't get to string it out yet, it's still in break in mode so just taking it easy. I've got to try some bigger wheels because my 28 QIV-OT Hydromotive slips like crazy out of the hole. Seems like it needs a prop with larger blades. Ran it last week with a 28 Trophy plus to 92.5 and that was at 5600rpm. This beast has a lot left in her. At 92.5 it was on a rail until I trimmed it up another bump and that was when it fell off the pad and took a hard right turn. My son was in the passenger seat and he looked at me and said dad what just happened, I told him I just found out how high I could trim it. Weather here has sucked lately but next week we will be back on the water finishing the break in process and hopefully stretching it out a bit. Just think I don't have enough prop for top end yet.

whipper

I know Wildman {Randy} runs the drag4 in a 30 and 32 with his 250/300xs motors on his liberators and Checkmates. He said they hook right up and carry real well. I look forward to hearing more on your setup as ya dial her in. :beer: