225 to 260,,,fuel and speed?

Rocket

Re: 260...

ziemer said:
The key to these motors is to have someone who knows how to built these motors right. Luckily I had someone to build me one. :wink:

I'll second that! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't think I was Diss'n on the 260's!!!!!!! :?

I just wouldn't think that a 260 would be as lake friendly as a 225! :shock:

Seem's like everytime I would take my 260's lake riding,,, they cost me $$$$$$$$$$.. :( But,, the 225 was built for it...................

Oh by the way,,,, Our Baddest ass motor is an old 225! :wink:

Rocket

Skywagon

I wouldn't be scared of a 260, properly built, at all. My 260 was great for lake cruising on my GS. I now have a 280 that runs about the same as the 260 but is a little more civilized at idle. I have driven a GS with a new 225X and the promax doesn't even compare to well built 260 from an thottle response and accelleration standpoint. Two different beasts for two different jobs. The promax is an excellent engine for lake cruising and reliability.

Bill

chad202

Motor was built by Dwayne Roberrie in DEC04. I fish about 2times per month. When I fish with someone, I don't push my motors, just mainly cruise around 5000-5500rpm. When I'm alone, I still mostly cruise but in the morning going out and evening coming in, I'll open her up for around 15seconds, that it. I never just hold my motor and max rpms. Every now and then I go cruise on local river and again mainly just cruise but open her up on a couple straight aways. I don't drag race. I like throttle response. I love an awesome holeshot and midrange. The waters I fish just don't allow for all out speed.

chad202

I guess cause I'll have if needed and if I get lucky and its just normal maintenance, it'll only be every 5-7 years or so. I put around 20hrs per year.

Butch Leslie

CHAD WROTE
I guess cause I'll have if needed and if I get lucky and its just normal maintenance, it'll only be every 5-7 years or so. I put around 20hrs per year.

Chad, You are really putting a lot of time on that engine. My 280 is a 2002 year model, and I have a whopping 22 hours on it. I found that the best way to keep them looking good and not put a lot of money into them is to keep them in the garage and look at them every day. Butch Leslie

JR

pmax hours

I put 20+ hours a month on mine during the Summer. I burn so much fuel that the Saudi Royal Family sends me a Christmas card..... My Summer fuel bill is larger than most peoples house payment [with the jet ski included].
JR

Skydog

I love mine it rocks! It is SO SO snappy!! When i added Tonys PCM it just made the motor! I took my friend out with my 260. He has a 225PM he just would not shut up about the throttle! :D Bang you are GOOOONNEE!!

Skydog

deadeye99

225 to280

Sorry to jump in so late guys. I've been away from my high speed internet acces. I switched out my 225 pmax after 9 1\2 years to a new 280. The 225 ran perfect and so does my new motor. I love the growl of the drilled exhaust on the 280. Instead of running up to 86-88 and then trimming and creeping up to 90-93 depending on load I can run up to 95 instantly with any load so far. I have been building speed slowly since I don't want any suprises and hit 97.8 Sunday with 2 200# guys and fishn tackle. My pmax had an allison modified cle and ran great. This has a stock sporty and handles so good it's scary. I have cable steering and at 90 there is so little torque I can drive with 1 hand easy. THe speeds I used to have to fight to atain are now just cruising. I hit some large rollers the other day at 90+ and thought I was in trouble but the boat ate them up and I barely felt them. Scary but it feels more stable now at 95 than before at 80. The fuel mileage seems about the same but it's hard to quantify. Idle is better, holeshot twice as fast. If you can afford one the +'s are all there. Sorry so long. Bob

deadeye99

blue roof

La. I'm in central Fl. Hurricane Charley, then Frances, then Jeanne got me. I could have replaced the shingles quickly but I now have a new standing seam metal roof that shouldn't ever blow off. Bob

amosXB03

225 versus 280

My 2 cents....recently sold a 2004 STV Euro with a 2.5 (280) on the back. Great boat...POWERFUL motor, speeds over 100 easy to obtain in this rig. The 280 is just short of a race motor, and does require frequent maintenance, fuel injectors are issues, if the motor is older without the top pinned pistons trouble is coming....plug fouling. For sheer crank it and nail it there is no stock equal, this motor is not made for cruising, espacially at slower speeds. Fuel consumption is just as fast as the engine.

I am now driving a 2003PST w/ a 225 ProMax, so far I absolutely love the boat/motor, etc..., one day soon I will reach its capablity right now I am enjoying the learning curve.

Anyway a 280 isn't a fishing motor/cruising motor/towing the kids motor. Another point is 100 or 100+ is extremely quick, how many of us have the resources waiting for us on the shore if something goes wrong? I sure didn't most of the time other than friends, 225 will last alot longer with minimal regular maintenance, and is a more versatile all around motor.

chad202

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top since most people with 225s beat themselves up over this.

I gained awesome holeshot and midrange. With the same fishing load, I've gained 8mph. Havent run it really light but i didn't with the promax either. I don't notice putting anymore gas in it but i mainly cruise. Once you get a 260 setup right, it's a great motor. IMO

David P

I think everything posted here is correct. It boils down to personal preferance. I have been all over the spectrum with motors on a 2002. I now have a SS 280, and love it. I like the extra power, even though I don't use it very often. I guess I just like knowing its there if needed. On the other hand the most practical motor is the 225. Its less expensive to buy and maintain, and still runs faster than most of us really need to go. Either motor is a great choice in my opinion. Stay with the 225 if you don't mind a 260 or 280 pulling you at times. My 2 cents.

Texan

My XB03 came with a bone stock 260, with exception to the Brucatto intake. I've had the boat going on four years. The first three years I was at the lake at least every other weekend. Last summer I didn't go much because petrol was so high, but am already planning several lake trips this spring and summer - whatever the price of fuel is. I've had no problems out of my 260 (knock on wood) but I've got the piece of mind knowing that I've got someone that has forgotten more about these motors than I'll ever hope to know! That's key. Either learn to maintain and work on them yourself, or have someone that you know and trust that's willing to lend a hand when the time comes.

whipper

When I bought my GSE it had a 260 on her. The owner wanted to keep the 260 so he found me a 225Pm that his brother was building. He said for all round use the 225 was great because for skiing and the family it responded more civilised in all respects. The 260 just likes to rip it up snorten all the way were as the 225 idles all day and quite capable of turning it on also. Ive had the same thoughts about going with a 280 or as was mentioned a 300X. But I think that for minimum cost outlay compared to going bigger I can still have the 225 reliability and a bit more performance from stock with a new ACU like what JR just did to his. That alone puts the 225 in a whole new performance relm sorta in the middle from a stock 225 and a 260.Kinda like haveing a 240.:smile I to would like to see 100 out of my GS and with a ACU and a 31prop I could see upper 90,s I figure so that for now will have to do.But if I can afford it a 300 would be were Id be looken. I cant right now so an ACU will have to do. James

Last edited: