225 to 260,,,fuel and speed?

chad202

Han anyone in here gone from a 225promax to a 260??If so, what increase in speeds did ya'll see with fishing load and solo light. Also, what about the fuel mileage.

FLYING BUTCHER

225-260

This could be a very interesting post - my two cents very little top end mph increase but you do get there a lot faster and oh yea no free lunch the 260 will gobble gas because it likes a smaller prop and will turn more rpm at least that has been my experience with two different 260s. Interested to see what the other guys have to say??

spanky

i went from a stock 225 to a 260 and here were the results: 3-4 mph faster on top end light loaded. not as much when heavy but it could be because the prop was too big to get to upper power band(7500). mid range was noticably stronger, but the fuel milage sucked compared to the promax. don't have the exact numbers for the 260 but the promax got 6mpg. if you're looking for more speed and grunt i would just by-pass the 260 and go with a 280. but if you fish alot of tournaments i would stay with the promax because of the low maintanence.

GotMyAlly

I'm interested to see what kind of replies you get here. I have been considering swapping to a 280. On one hand, I'd love to have the power and speed. But I also like the reliability and fuel economy of the PM. And I like the smartcraft, too.

catfish123

I believe quite a few of us with 225's struggle with the question of whether or not to try to get a 280. I know I have, but then every time I go to the lake to run my 225, it starts right up, idles well, doesn't require the reringing, and it gets good gas mileage. On the other hand, I sure would like to feel what 100+ mph is all about. However, LOL, on our lake, with all the bigger boats, most of the time you are lucky to be able to go even 60 mph let alone 100. I also find it interesting that there seems to be a lot of guys with 280's who want to trade for 225's. What's with that? Probably will stick with my 225 and keep wondering what the 100 mph would be like.

Butch Leslie

I went from a 225 to a 280, and I do not want to go back to a 225. It does burn a little more gas because of the smaller prop and the higher RPM's, but it is a stronger motor on hole shot, mid range and on top end. The top end numbers will only be higher on a 280 though if you put on a tall prop, and this does tend to kill the hole shot and mid range. These are race engines and yes they cost a little more to maintain. I would say they are not for the newly weds looking for a house and to have children unless you have a good income. If you can afford one they are the way to go. Butch Leslie

Rocket

IMHO,,,,,,,, these are two VERY differant motors,,, For Two VERY differant use's!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

The 225 is a Cruze all day long at any speed, and still be able to reach speeds that will give you a ShhhhhhhWing! :D

The 260 was built for RACING!!!!!!!! Short blast's of speed and NO mid range cruzing!!!!! :?

The 225 are reliable,, and will take alot of differant conditions!

The 260 is Finiky,, and has to be treated like a High maintance Woman!!!!! :wink:

The 260 Parts are TOO HIGH!!!!!!! And hard to find (unless you go OEM!)

If I were going to want to Fish, Fun and ski,,,,,,,, I'd stay with the 225 or a 300PM! :roll:

That's my $.02

chad202

Just curious, why can't you cruise with a 260?????A buddy of mine has a 96 260. He use it only in the summer, every weekend. He mainly cruises with short burts here and there. He has yet to re-ring it and has never touched it once finding the right ECU for it which was when he bought it new. It wouldn't run right and mercury ending up reflashing to something different. Since then it purrs like a kitten?????

Rocket

chad202 said:
Just curious, why can't you cruise with a 260?????A buddy of mine has a 96 260. He use it only in the summer, every weekend. He mainly cruises with short burts here and there. He has yet to re-ring it and has never touched it once finding the right ECU for it which was when he bought it new. It wouldn't run right and mercury ending up reflashing to something different. Since then it purrs like a kitten?????
Chad,,,,,, Your right! The ECU is everything! :D And the 260 CAN be made to cruize in the mid range.......... They jsut wern't built to do that!

Tthe 260's are very finiky (is that how you spell it? :oops: ) and were built to RACE! 8) oN the other hand the 225's were built for the lake consumer.......

Remember.... This is only IMHO! :D

chad202

I know and I thank all of you. I had my mind made up but now ya'll confused me again. :roll: :lol:

chad202

I normally just cruise most of the time at around 5000-5500 rpm when I'm fishing. With that said, shouldn't the gas mileage be close to the same if I'm spinning the same prop with the same load and same lowerunit.

2Fast2Pass

Drive a boat with a 260/280 and you will put the ProMax up for sale. I have a 98 260 powerhead with hundreds of hours on it. Instead of going through it I pulled it off, set it in the garage for a spare, and bought a 280 powerhead. I do alot of cruising and have never had any problems. Just leave it alone, put good oil and fuel in it, and let it eat!!!

ziemer

Ted you ready to sell that spare 260 yet??? :D

Don't let these guys scare you about the 260's. I went from a 2.5/200 to my 260 and that was night and day. I'm on my third season with mine since we re-built it and it still runs like it did when it was first done. I'm sure it's got 250+ hours on it and it idles about 650-700 rpm and will turn up over 8000 with my 28. My gas mileage is somewhere around 4 mpg at 5000 +/- rpms. Oh yeah, my best speed to date, 105.1 mph.

The key to these motors is to have someone who knows how to built these motors right. Luckily I had someone to build me one. :wink:

2Fast2Pass

Nope, gonna keep it. Never know when I might need it! Hopefully not for a long time. You going to WinterHaven next month? I've been to Kiss. a couple times here recently fishing, it's just too d@#n HOT. Hey, 105 thats sweeet :D We will have to run next time we get together. Later,TED

ziemer

Next Month

No, I don't think I'm going to Winter Haven. It's the same weekend as the next FBI race so I think that's where I'll be. We'll be up at South Moon this weekend and probably over at the Glenn all three days (I've got tomorrow off :D ) I hear ya about the heat, at least when you're in the Glenn the water is nice and cold. :wink:

LAAllison

PM225/260/280

Glad you asked the question. I've been thinking about a 280 for my GS. One thing that concerns me is the grade of fuel at the dock along the Gulf Coast. I make long runs and often have to buy 89 octane, the PM doesn't care but I don't beleive a 260/280 would like that. Would like to see 100