225 to 260,,,fuel and speed?

Yellowallison

Yeah, but what fun is a drag motor with 150 lbs. of compression???
ZIEMME -- YU LOokaa HERE - I'm fixin to SHOW YU real soon VIA an ole FASHION BLOW BY ..... what FUN a DRAG moto is with 150lbs COMPRESSION!!! :very sad :very sad :very sad

Tell MOMMA ZEMME to get those BABY WIPES out of her PURSE for YO tears!! :LMAO:

Last edited:

JR

Scott,
Chris's Drag motor burns a gallon of race gas a mile. Susan and I would have to get second job and my boat would need to pull another gas tank behind it since I average about 1000-1500 miles a year [according to how many hurricanes there are].

Even my poor little Honda PWC now has 350+ hours on it.

I think my Pmax will easily make 100 with the tighter heads and may even do it without them due to the ACU.

It has to be close now, pulling 7k with my present beat-to-death 30" ChopperII. I really haven't tried a top run since I got it.

I really need to stop just shelving the Choppers and buying new ones instead of sending them out for repairs. I have a couple of year-olds on the shelf now that have numerous nicks/dings.

JR

Bill Kemp

this is some interesting reading, but i have a question what is the cost difference in repairing the 225 vs the 280 if you have to replace pistons or crankshaft or have a cly. relined

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
That's a really good question / observation, bad67.

The 225's are steel-bore motors and if the cylinders get damaged, you can hone them and be on your way.

The 280's and 260's have "nikasil" or "Nicom" plated aluminum cylinder liners (rocket science). When one of these gets damaged, you can do one of two things: 1) replace it with a steel-bore cylinder liner. or 2) tear the whole motor down and get a new "nik" cylinder liner installed and/or have the whole block "re-nicked", e.g. replate all the cylinders.

The above is a major difference in the maintainability and expense of each type motor.

Personally, I would not put one steel sleeve in a nic motor, but that's just the way I am. I know plenty of guys who have done it, and I think the factory even advises it in the service manual if you have one hole tear up.

RedAllison

JR do you have a stock flywheel on your Promax or has it been lightened or are you gonna have that done if you try to turn it 7500?

Yellowallison

Chris's Drag motor burns a gallon of race gas a mile.
...Nah a 260/280/300 avg's mo like 3.5 -4 miles per gallon:razz

I think my Pmax will easily make 100 with the tighter heads
GOOD luck JR - keep us posted !!

Last edited:

JR

Scott,
Chris had already used up 30 gallons of race gas just making short speed runs from the Fanning Springs ramp when we were at the last Suwannee Hot Boat outing. We talked about the high price of speed.... $5.95 a gallon!

I was telling him that Susan and I had been running fast 90+ miles on the Suwannee that day and had only used 18 gallons [according to my Floscan's fuel totalizer].

When all the Hot boats were traveling [in a line] down the winding Santa Fe I got my little Honda Turbo from Rebekah and passed all of them, which made some of them mad. It will only go just a little over 60 MPH...
JR

chad202

JMO, you take any motor, 225, 260, or 280, and turn the big Rs, neither one will last long. You turn them reasonably and they all will last alot longer. A bud of mine has a 1996 260 on a Euro STV. He run this combo every weekend(Sat&Sun) all summer long. To get to the local hot spot, not including detours to different bars, is 20+miles one way. So I'm guessing 50+ miles per day(100 per weekend). Thats for roughly 4mths a year(alot of miles). He runs a 30 pitch prop so his motor turns around 7400rms at max throttle. He mainly just cruises with occasional burst. He just re-rung his motor last year for the first time. His leak down was 14% and everything looked great. He just changed the rings and went on his way. I'd say thats reliable. If you turn them up, they ALL will cost you money.JMO

JR

I agree fully except that I know of several instances where 280s where put on heavy boats and propped for top speed and after several Powerhead failures Merc bought the motors back and they were replaced by 3 litres.

The 260s seem a lot more cost effective than the 280s for performance pleasure boating.
JR

BruceMerc

Chad, just curious the motor was 1996 and if original had side pinned pistons. I know everyone goes to top pinned but I also know of alot of guys who ran 260's for years as fishing motors with no serious problems but majority of there hours were mid-range with top end burst every now and then. Bruce

ziemer

ZIEMME -- YU LOokaa HERE - I'm fixin to SHOW YU real soon VIA an ole FASHION BLOW BY ..... what FUN a DRAG moto is with 150lbs COMPRESSION!!!

Tell MOMMA ZEMME to get those BABY WIPES out of her PURSE for YO tears!!

Ahh, I see you're talking out your butt crack again. :shock: :beer:

1bad67 said:
what is the cost difference in repairing the 225 vs the 280 if you have to replace pistons or crankshaft or have a cly. relined
A good estimate is 2x. :wink

Yellowallison

HAHAHAHHAA ZIEMME.... Well yu better First make sure tha BABY on BOARD RACING 260 is tuned up!! :gone fishing

2nd thingy is YU better get BUSY now ...............

to MAMMA ZIEMEE for permission to come out and PLAY with the BOYZZ!! Yu allz ready MISSED day of runnin on ALLIGATOR with the BOYZZ cause MAMMA ZIEMME had yu home clean'n HOUSE!!!! I don't wanta HEAR NO EXCUSES why YU can't come out an PLAY with tha BOYZZ:LMAO:

Is it BLING BLING on the St Johns time YET :big grin

Last edited: