200 pro-stock vs. 225 pro max

blake985

I'm trying to decide if I want to make a swap from a 200 pro-stock to a 225 pro-max. I got the 200 on a xb 2003. Best I've done so far was this past weekend. rough water and a tail wind I ran 89 mph at about 6500 rpm with a 28 trophy plus. I couldnt keep it stretched out too long due to the weather. I'm talking to the same guy who built my motor about building a promax for me. I'm just wondering with the exact same set up and conditions what would be the difference in mph??

xb03fs

I have been told a true prostock setup, ie drag electronics, low output stator, special fuel curve, regulator, and high compression I think 150+ will beat a 225 promax, however a promax with the same setup would probably be even better...than a 200 prostock setup.

The 225X like neals was had even different porting that the regular promax and different intake and was supposedly stronger on top but weaker on the bottom....rumored to have porting closer to a 280 but no mods are really possible where as the old school promaxs could be modded as much as the wallet would allow....

Take it for what its worth. Setup and driving can equal a lot of mph.

I have knowed down a best of 90.3 with my 200 EFI, coned CLE, 6700 rpm limiter, SVS and just stock 87 octane compression.

2003225X

The 225x I had on my 2003 ran very well. The 225x that is on my supersport screams! I don't see a 200 staying anywhere near it.

suicidealli

I have been told a true prostock setup, ie drag electronics, low output stator, special fuel curve, regulator, and high compression I think 150+ will beat a 225 promax, however a promax with the same setup would probably be even better...than a 200 prostock setup.

A 200 true pro stock will smoke a 225pm. The rev limiter kills a 225pm.
A pro stock fuel curve/system really helps the 200. A 225 pm set up like a pro stock motor is even better. The 225 pm block is a lot better than a 200.

I would take a true pro stock with my internals over a stock 225pm or a 225x.it will out run them set up right. And better parts.

I have been looking for a good 200 block to build one for myself. I think I can run 103+ on my 2002 with one. They really are good little motors for what they are.....JMO
A pro stock 225 can run with a stock rev limiter 280 on the big end..JMO

Roy

Last edited:

LakeAnna

The 225x I had on my 2003 ran very well. The 225x that is on my supersport screams! I don't see a 200 staying anywhere near it.
You\\\

You need a good solid pass or two and your gonna be ready for the GS! :big grin

I sent you stuff this morning.... could be a delay based on the weather and hurricane aftermath...

M.ALEXIE

I would take the prostock setup and put it all on the ProMax block.
That would be your most HP.

XXXR2001

I would take the prostock setup and put it all on the ProMax block.
That would be your most HP.
This is what I have and I like it a lot. Only thing different is I don't have a prostock fuel curve and would not recommend using one if you plan on stringing it out from time to time. Actually you could use it and be fine if you up the fuel pressure or turn up the box potentiometer but the overall performance wouldn't be optimal.

XXXR2001

I have been looking for a good 200 block to build one for myself. I think I can run 103+ on my 2002 with one.
Roy
Find a 200 optimax block........it's really close or same as 225 promax block.

Or, better yet, find a 240 sportjet block. Those are freaking awesome.

bullwhipjkg

Got my promax on the.bench before i blew it up nothing wrong with it just a gazilion hours

Plan on a rebuild before the spring puttin wizards or vertex pistons in it and im planning on a prostocksetup but with a brucato tuned computer for the promax no limiter of course

patches

Got my promax on the.bench before i blew it up nothing wrong with it just a gazilion hours

Plan on a rebuild before the spring puttin wizards or vertex pistons in it and im planning on a prostocksetup but with a brucato tuned computer for the promax no limiter of course
I'd go Vertex

bullwhipjkg

What i was thinking to and the vertex are cheaper
but will they handle the compression of say 21 cc heads but would only be for rally use 1/8 mile stuff

xb03fs

how high can vertex pistons be held WOT for extended periods of time. Maybe I need a smaller prop.

M.ALEXIE

Personally I would not run mine over 7500rpms for 30 seconds.
But will turn it 9000rpms for 12 seconds for years.

Last edited:

xb03fs

Personally I would not run mine over 7500rpms for 30 seconds.
But will ture it 9000rpms for 12 seconds for years.
What about 7200ish? Right now the stock limitier is set at 6750. It will only pull through that with like a 24P prop. And when it does, I have gotten to 7400 but the motor acted like it was flooded for a few seconds after letting off, so it would hesitate a second becfore it ran normal again. I am condisidering sending my ECU to have the limiter moved up maybe. The only other time it ran a lot of rpms was in some cool weather with my 26 fishing prop and a light load I got to 7200, it did not load up like it did in the summer with the small prop????

Perplexing. The 24 was a smaller diamter and ran up to 7400 like a drag prop and teh 26 was my OT which took some time to get the last 400 rpms or so..

Wondering if a better fuel curve woudl cure that. Maybe in the cool weather the extra fuel going rich was not a problem and in the summer it was a problem??

XXXR2001

Like Malexie, it makes me nervous turning higher rpms for long periods but if you look at the durability of the 200xs & sst 120 motors it makes you realize how robust these little motors are. They turn them 8k + for many hours during the 24 hr Roen race and torture them for long periods at the circle races. I think the key is that you have to have fresh parts and the right fuel curve. You run a homebuilt junk motor that hard and it'd come apart in a hurry.

Here is a link to the 200xs specs.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboards/optimax200xssst/specs.php

xb03fs

nope, just the SVS, which I think is the important part. My ECU has a rapair 200 promax fuel cureve. I also have a spare 200 xri A-1 but it gets considerable worse milage.