2.5 setback/Fulcrum point?

whipper

Thats basicly were Im at now also 10-10.5 uses less trim from 12 were she was before. I dont have near the hp as you have for top end but have great acceleration running a little more fuel to 33cc heads and the ACU to 7500 225pm. My lip is gone so I still have to run a little higher. Runs even real good with a 26OS 14 diamiter. Im going to try a 14 1/4 or 1/2 again soon in a little taller like a 28 or 29 and see how fast I can get her running setup like this. Last time I was running tall wheels all the time and into the low 90,s up hear. Ive gone 95 once at 1200ft with a 30 at 1/4 below. Ill be back at that spot later this summer for 3 weeks on the lake so ill try again higher up in the morrnings befor eall the wake boarders wake up.:wink

ziemer

i just recently changed my setup. combo 4.5 "ally brackets with 5.5" cmc hyd to all 10 inch total setback. to same ally bracket and a 8"hydrodymanics rapid jack. shed 20-30lbs? and i can definately not run as much trim as before. the boat gets high up on the pad . going with the wind is a little scary into the wind i can feel better downforce on the bow and she feels tighter. its at 1/4 below the pad. even was crazy to drive. thinking bout coming down to 1/2. and see how it feels.completely diffent feel to this setup. learning how to drive it all over again.not to mention havin 340hp jsre 260 .last year i was runnin a stock 260. i could punch it flat and trim it to top end this new motor is scary!!. i also think that the more setback the higher you can run your motor but it feels harder to drive. to me at least.
Try going up an 1/8th and try again, and then go up some more at 1/8" a time. :beer: 1/2" below is gonna be too low and make it harder to drive. Are you running a sporty? You can definitely get away with a higher setup with the sportys. I think I'm around 1/4" ish above with 8 1/2" of setback. (15" mid)

Had it out yesterday and with 2 in the boat, the ole girl will still get up and roll with good lift. Without too much effort ran 102 with us both in the boat in about a 12" chop...fun as hell to drive too. :big grin

jas638

Banned
Try going up an 1/8th and try again, and then go up some more at 1/8" a time. :beer: 1/2" below is gonna be too low and make it harder to drive. Are you running a sporty? You can definitely get away with a higher setup with the sportys. I think I'm around 1/4" ish above with 8 1/2" of setback. (15" mid)

Had it out yesterday and with 2 in the boat, the ole girl will still get up and roll with good lift. Without too much effort ran 102 with us both in the boat in about a 12" chop...fun as hell to drive too. :big grin
thanks z. will give that a try. had a sporty on it. but i am gonna put my titus coned cle back on it. for me the titus case handles better.i dont know what he does to em but they work. will keep ya posted.

ziemer

thanks z. will give that a try. had a sporty on it. but i am gonna put my titus coned cle back on it. for me the titus case handles better.i dont know what he does to em but they work. will keep ya posted.
I hear ya on the Titus case. I have a modded sporty from him. Probably not any faster, but love the handling. :beer: Up to around 90 with a slight chop, it requires essentially no steering input. :cool

jas638

Banned
okay z was out yesterday with american spun my 14.5 x28 hoss triton 7600 rpm. had one hand on the wheel to 7000 with that titus case. geez louise does that case handle. well my question is how fast was i going? my gps was going crazy not gettin a good signal had a loose ground when i got home.

ziemer

okay z was out yesterday with american spun my 14.5 x28 hoss triton 7600 rpm. had one hand on the wheel to 7000 with that titus case. geez louise does that case handle. well my question is how fast was i going? my gps was going crazy not gettin a good signal had a loose ground when i got home.
He's right, it is hard to say.

Before Rich @ Leading Edge cleaned mine up, it would turn well above 8k, but now it tops out at about 8000-8100 (105-106)

On Saturday, I think it was turning 7700-7800 with 2 of us in the boat, which was 101.6 according to the gps.

All of that said, you were probably high 90's... Did the boat nose over? That's the tell tale sign in mine, that the boat is running a 100.

suicidealli

good read!!!!!
the further you go back, the higher you can run the motor, but less trim.... i ran my old ss from 5" to as far back as 14 1/4. ran the best mph at 14 1/4. slower in 800' tho. i settled for 10" for all around use. my xb 2002 is at 9" seeems to run great, but im going to do some testing in a few weeks.
below the pad kills speed!!!!!!!!!!!! a sportmaster needs to be higher than a 200 case, UNLESS titus raised the nose cone up on a 200 case. my ss didnt care for a titus case. loved the sporty.
the xr 2001 are different.....
just what i have found over the years.

roy

jas638

Banned
He's right, it is hard to say.

Before Rich @ Leading Edge cleaned mine up, it would turn well above 8k, but now it tops out at about 8000-8100 (105-106)

On Saturday, I think it was turning 7700-7800 with 2 of us in the boat, which was 101.6 according to the gps.

All of that said, you were probably high 90's... Did the boat nose over? That's the tell tale sign in mine, that the boat is running a 100.
thats good to hear cause i think i actually felt the nose come over a bit then gave it some more trim. best of all i wasnt full throttle. still had a lot pedal to go like 1/4 more. who knows just might see 105+:smile:beer:

suicidealli

i run one sometimes. i have a quick release. just need to add weight to the other side to balance the boat. "battery"
i run smaller props than you guys... 24 and 26 pitch. i like to twist them up, and i have 1.75 gears. a drag powerhead doesnt make 300 hp til around 9000 rpms. i like to cruise around 5500 to 6000. motor is just free spining almost. no load..... drags dont like loads, they like to rev.

roy

Last edited:

Bobalouie

I was asking because when my boat was set up without a troller for racing, it was on a 7" JP and 3/8" above the pad. Like you I only have props in 22 and 26 pitch.

Mine seems to like the 10" plate I have now with the motor at even with the troller on and my extra heavy arse in the front seat, along with my wife in the rear. I may go up on height later on after some more testing, I am not sure yet,

I just wanted to mention that, because you might want to try to go in a little further and see what that does for you.

whipper

I was asking because when my boat was set up without a troller for racing, it was on a 7" JP and 3/8" above the pad. Like you I only have props in 22 and 26 pitch.

Mine seems to like the 10" plate I have now with the motor at even with the troller on and my extra heavy arse in the front seat, along with my wife in the rear. I may go up on height later on after some more testing, I am not sure yet,

I just wanted to mention that, because you might want to try to go in a little further and see what that does for you.
Hows yours at 10 with more than just you and your wife?

Im really starting to like 10 over 12. I havent had any weight in her yet at that setting. Also havent had her out in any weather. Im holding off trying anything else untill she has been threw all the situations she can ebcounter. I sure do require WAY less trim with the motor closer to the trasnsom and lipless. Rounding off the bullet helped quite a bit also.

catfish123

I understand the less trim being "lipless" but the less trim with the motor in closer doesn't make sense to me. I always thought the more set-back you had, the less trim you would need?????????

chad202

Yep. Further back less trim. I know people don't run this setup bit if I ever get anxb02, I'm gonna run 14" of set back with no to almost no lip. I know the boat could get flighty with that much set back but with higher Jp settings, and a little negative trim, should keep the nose down. Plus I'd set my batteries and charger in front the fuel tank instead of having that much more weight 2' behind the pad on each side.

whipper

I understand the less trim being "lipless" but the less trim with the motor in closer doesn't make sense to me. I always thought the more set-back you had, the less trim you would need?????????
OK I TOTTALY SCREWED UP ON MY MESSURING SOME HOW?????????????????????? I just went and messured again and now im at 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must have been at 14 before all these years? OMFG!!!!!!
I cant believe this. Now I know why I suck at making anything from wood I always seem to get the messurments wrong!!:help :furious

Hears a pic I just took after going out to double check exactly were I was at now with the setback plate on the inside holes. Im so sorry for the confustion. I sure like 12 Setback.:big grin

Last edited:

catfish123

Same principle.......12 inches of setback should need MORE trim than 14 inches of setback. And my measuring abilities are similar to yours. Every time I measure my motor height to pad relationship, I come up with something different.......LOL.........I think I have that measurement dialed in now though.

whipper

Same principle.......12 inches of setback should need MORE trim than 14 inches of setback. And my measuring abilities are similar to yours. Every time I measure my motor height to pad relationship, I come up with something different.......LOL.........I think I have that measurement dialed in now though.
Good to know Im not the only one!!:big grin I think the main reason for less trim is before I wasnt running as high. I changed two things. Setback and up a hole. Im running just above even at maybe 1/4 above? {dont take that messurment as gospil!!} :wink I know the motor is a LOT louder with exhast at the surface. I did nurtal the motor with a level on the flywheel pluss gearcase and trailer. The rubrail on the wings was level and just forward of the pad. At any note,im useing less trim than when I was farther back but I was also running more like 1/4 below to even before also. The prop Im testing with has great stern lift even at higher hights that my lipless pad seems to like to fly best at.

All in all I like this setup thats why I decided to keep it this way. Im useing less trim {mostly from engine hight it must be} The holeshot is much quicker and top speed with the smaller wheel im useing is the best to date. I cant wait to try a 28 or 30 pitch 141/4 -1/2 at even higher.

Last edited: