2.4 BP vs 225 PM

bigtis

A lot of talk on this thread.. A ps motor is a. Stock long block, but the fuel system is completely different.

Roy
The only thing different is the ecu Roy. You can choose to run a 39 or a 56 psi reg. That's your choice as well as the fuel curve. Injectors and everything are still stock laser injection parts.

xb03fs

I was told by someone that a DSR prostock 200 has quite a few advantages that helped them spin up so quick, the 200's supposedly with the main changes being

16 amp fly wheel which reduces drag magnetic drag and is lighter
custom fuel curves
and fuel pump/regulators like the hipo motors minus the vst pumps

Last edited:

bigtis

and fuel pump/regulators like the hipo motors minus the vst pumps
the vst is removed if you prefer, but as I stated in the previous post the regulator psi and the pump are strictly the racers preference. You can use the pump from the vst tank, and a 39lb regulator. I use an 849849 box with a 56psi regulator , but have never tried anything else with that setup.

You could leave the vst on and just swap the ecu if you wanted and it would work.

suicidealli

Roy, a dsra legal superstock 2.4 200 will turn an average between 8300-8800 depending on setup. I've only played with efi bp,s but I found it to come on alot stronger at 6k and above compared to a 2.4 200. I think the bp would make hp higher in the rpm than the 200. I've got a bp I've been thinking of rigging as an until it blows warrior..... Gonna have to see what she,ll spin with a 660 setup. I think on squeeze the bp will make 9500-10k
They will run!!!!!!!!!!! On a lite boat they hit 8000, and they start coming on!!!!!!!! Just don't have a long life.

The 2.5 will live a lot longer, but the factory cast piston won't live in a stock 200 up in the big rpms....... Every ps motor I have seen run vertex pistons.. They live really well on the drag strip for the 1/4 mile run...... No way would I want to run them at 9000 for a few minutes........ The ps stock laser injection is the same but pretty much except running a 260/280/drag fuel system... Pump, no vst, return line, and ecu. a custom fuel curve.. A stock 225 pm with a factory fuel curve with no rev limiter, can't touch a ps motor... I agree the 2.5 is the way to go for sure, but side by side 100 % stock a bp would be my choice for a race. Not on a fishing rig.

Roy

bigtis

My first ps mota was raced all year, and river rode ALOT as well. I turned it 8800 lean for 3-4 miles more times than my hands and toes have digits. She would make 9100 with fuel. I put three sets of rings on those pistons, and am fixin to put the fourth set on em. They've also seen 250lbs of squeeze on the second set of rings.

The vertex pistons are down right worth every penny.

suicidealli

My first ps mota was raced all year, and river rode ALOT as well. I turned it 8800 lean for 3-4 miles more times than my hands and toes have digits. She would make 9100 with fuel. I put three sets of rings on those pistons, and am fixin to put the fourth set on em. They've also seen 250lbs of squeeze on the second set of rings.

The vertex pistons are down right worth every penny.

I have heard nothing but good things about them for a cast piston.

xb03fs

Vertex is what went in my 200 EFI, hoping they last a long time turning 7K or less

K.Kiser

vertex is what went in my 200 efi, hoping they last a long time turning 7k or less
f o r e v e r ................

I've got an .015 set of Vertex that I'm gonna put in a very heavy lake cut steel sleeve... I plan on turning over 9,000 for short burst and ain't really worried about it compared to many hundreds or more passes some racers put on them above 8,500 while testing year round...

Last edited:

xb03fs

whats the next weak link in the line maybe I should raise the limiter higher than 6750..

It has the vertex pistons, metal caged bearings, fiber reeds. Does the stock 200 porting still make power up there?

K.Kiser

On a fishing boat the rev limiter is fine IMO... On a drag boat with a short prop they will make a quicker boat when set-up to spin 8,500+... Sure they're probably down on power up there if you were trying to pull a topend prop, but they still make enough power up there to not diminish the gain of acceleration that a short prop will give in a 1/4 run...

bigtis

Nathan. Your engine is built right. Add comp to about 150-160. Add timing. Add a little fuel, and do away with the rev limiter all together.