1986 xtb 21 restoration photos

mtolley

i got some paperwork from the judge here in SC. she says thats all i need to get a title for the boat. ill know more when i talk to the SCDNR in the morning! mt

CommonArcWelder

That is good news MT. I had a similar problem. I done some horse trading for a boat in 2007 from the original owner and when I tried to get it in my name the state informed me that there was a lien against the title. This lien was on a loan from 1982. YES 1982 from a bank that closed there doors in 1984. Finally after several notarized affidavits and almost a year later I was able to get it registered in my name......:banghead

Blue Gray in PA

It's always something with titles isn't it? When I brought my Ally home, I had a signed notarized bill of sale from the owner in Tennessee and still had problems with the boat and trailer ownership. Before I bought it, I was told that was all I needed since TN did not title trailers unless they are for commercial use. When I got it back home, they told me I was misinformed by their employee (imagine that) and was then told I needed to go to a judge and request him to release the trailer title. That was going to cost $90 to file the paperwork for the hearing and I would have to leave work and go to court to plead my case. Fortunately I went to the local state representative and explained what happened and also reminded him that I had a signed letter showing ownership of the boat and trailer, along with the previous owner's cards. I also told him there would likely be a murder in our county if my wife found out I was spending more money on a boat that was costing us something new every day and it wasn't even wet yet. He took care of everything for free and I got the title a few weeks later. What a pain but definitely worth it - I love my Ally!

mtolley

bluegray, i wish mine was that easy! im also glad that i bought a LEGAL xb2002 last july! after talking with the SCDNR investigator today, it doesnt look like i will be getting a title for this boat afterall, nor will anybody else! this thing seems to go way deeper in with the FEDS and also with there being multiple past "legal" owners that wont ever give up their "supposed" rights to the boat. i have contacted the person that i bought the boat from and he has agreed to give me my money back. but that amount doesnt include the blood and sweat i put into it restoring the finish or just cleaning the boat up. that time and effort will just be lost. i also purchased the last remaining plastic dash bezels for a xtb21 and all new switches and emblems for this boat from allison. bought several other parts that i was going to use in the restore that i cant use now. i guess ill have a few parts to sell here in the next few weeks. i was really looking forward to restoring this boat as i really enjoy bringing back the past,and it gives me and my kids alot of time together that seems to be lost in todays society. i have always wanted a 15' allison or a gt-20 so maybe ill start looking for one of those that i can "legally" buy! mt

mtolley

That is good news MT. I had a similar problem. I done some horse trading for a boat in 2007 from the original owner and when I tried to get it in my name the state informed me that there was a lien against the title. This lien was on a loan from 1982. YES 1982 from a bank that closed there doors in 1984. Finally after several notarized affidavits and almost a year later I was able to get it registered in my name......:banghead
aint that crap the pits! there should be statue of limitations on that kind of crap and this crap ive had to deal with here too. glad you got yours in your name, unfortunatly that wont be happening with me. mt

CommonArcWelder

Mt...Have you talked to your local boat dealer? The notaries they use have ways of going around the "system". I'm gonna talk to my wife in the morning about it. She's a Louisiana Notary at a dealership in Lake Charles. If it wasn't for her I would have never got the trailer for my 02 registered. It had no title and hadn't been registered in years. On top of that it came from out of state. She also went through the "channels" on the lien problem from 1982. I'll see what she says and get back to ya'.....Keith

DaveW

bluegray, i wish mine was that easy! im also glad that i bought a LEGAL xb2002 last july! after talking with the SCDNR investigator today, it doesnt look like i will be getting a title for this boat afterall, nor will anybody else! this thing seems to go way deeper in with the FEDS and also with there being multiple past "legal" owners that wont ever give up their "supposed" rights to the boat. i have contacted the person that i bought the boat from and he has agreed to give me my money back. but that amount doesnt include the blood and sweat i put into it restoring the finish or just cleaning the boat up. that time and effort will just be lost. i also purchased the last remaining plastic dash bezels for a xtb21 and all new switches and emblems for this boat from allison. bought several other parts that i was going to use in the restore that i cant use now. i guess ill have a few parts to sell here in the next few weeks. i was really looking forward to restoring this boat as i really enjoy bringing back the past,and it gives me and my kids alot of time together that seems to be lost in todays society. i have always wanted a 15' allison or a gt-20 so maybe ill start looking for one of those that i can "legally" buy! mt
Howdy :smile

Sorry to hear your problems, just curious what parts you ended up with for the XTB-21 as I may be after some - being in Australia it's pretty hard for me to just ring up and ask for spares!

Dave

mtolley

sorry that i havent posted back. Davew, some one has already asked aboutthe few pieces i have ,but you are next inline if he chooses not to. im trying to wait until i have the money back in my hand on the off chance that something miraculas happens and i get to keep it with a PROPER TITLE! mt

mtolley

well guys,nothing miraculous happened and the xtb is gone! the guy actually was very nice about it all and had no problems giving me back my money and even a little extra for my trouble(not much, but the gesture was nice!) the trailer i purchased for the boat from Glenn is also already sold(pending payment) so im starting to come out of the red with this whole deal. i am going to turn around and put the money into my xb2002 to get a coned gearcase on it(before this cle kills me) and go ahead and upgrade the steering to hydraulic while ive got the money to. likely will be the only things that i do to it this year(other than regular maintenance) and i also need to buy some new tires for the trailer. i would like to thank Kevin for the restorations board as it started when i got this boat, and everyone here for all of the help you have been. maybe soon i can find another project boat to bring back to life! mike t