1986 xtb 21 restoration photos

mtolley

would like to here some opinions on reparing this damage to the back of the pad. taking it to allison aint an option at this time. also what happens if i remove the wedge in the pad?

Bill Kemp

call bill at allison and have him send you a pint of ad-tech. the damage is ease to fix just take you time. don't remove the lip the boat will not handle right if you do.

jimmyb

the pad damage doesnt look bad at all... it is pretty easy to repair with a gelcoat repair kit or getting some gelcoat from allison... however since your hull is white, i would probably just buy some gelcoat locally.

however after you get done repairing it... you should adjust the roller of the the trailer so it doesnt rest on the pad... having a bunk or roller resting on the pad is a "no no" :)

looks like you are putting a lot of hard work into the boat! looks like it will turn out quite nice

mtolley

jimmyb, thats part of the project also. thebunks have compressed/rotted enough that the boat doesnt sit high enough anymore. fixin to block the boat so i can blast -repaint-rebuild the trailer. the boats gettin there,thanks for the compliments

whipper

looks great its comming along I see. I had a chip a few months ago like that one, if ya get some wooden long stir sticks and whipe the Ad-Tech on a bit at a time to build her up works great. Just make sure ya tape around it so ya can troll with the stir stick and have less to sand latter. ;) You wont even remember it was there. Oh ya make sure have lots of heat like a 100w bulb makes it tach faster and easier to sculpt :mrgreen: James

mtolley

just got back from the vinyl decal shop about having the "allison" decal reproduced since the original size and style is not available anymore. i need a straight on high quality pic of one to give him. can anybody with the old style email me one? im going to tape tracing paper to the side of the hull and make a rubbing of the original so he'll have the correct size. i thought buying the new domed style from allison, but the difference in color on the hull would be too noticable since the new ones are smaller and shaped different. will post new pics as i go! mt

mtolley

more pics will come soon guys. with xmas and all times been precious and haent had to work on the boat much. this is soon to change in about 3 days ! if it continues to be 70 degrees here it will have to get done sooner! mt

mtolley

thanks to arlin reynolds for the heads up on a usable trailer for my xtb21 project. picked it up yesterday morning at reynolds racing . and is in very good shape to be going on 20 years old! will get some pics up as soon as the freezing rain is over! mt

mtolley

boat project has been put on hold for a little while since im having trouble getting a title for it. seems to be tied up in someones estate from 15 years ago, or held by the irs for faliure to pay inheritance taxes. got an attorny working on it for me, and he tells me not to worry itll be okay. just hate to order parts specific to the boat that i cant recoup my money on if this goes bad! mt

ARLIN

Mike,

Sorry for the problem. Good luck getting things straightened out.

Not much boating weather yet in TN. Major lakes way down due to below average rainfall in February.

..hang in there on the restoration..

mtolley

hey arlin! yeah im hangin in there with it. even if i dont get the title, ill still fix it and use as a "race boat" per say as we dont "have" to title them. mt

baitcaster

Did you ever get the title issue resolved? Did you find someone to fix the pad? The boat pics look great, this is going to be one heck of a rig when you are finished. A treasure for sure.

mtolley

baitcaster, my attorny is still working on the titling nightmare. i am fixing the pad myself as well as other chips, scrapes, etc on the bottom. i am going to speed coat the area where the repairs are to hide the different colors so they are not noticable. its turning into a labor of love as i am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things i work on or do especially for myself, but for others as well. ill take some pics on monday and post them. mt